Friday, December 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, December 30, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

Shaymin wrote:Fell for the vicious Schindler's List negbait too.
Schindler was not a well known figure until Thomas Kenealley's book came out, by which time he'd been long dead. If he'd won the Nobel, he would have been already famous.
davey

Post by davey »

jwatcher16 wrote:Hi Davey and OntarioQuizzer -

Thanks for replying, but I'm not sure I'd argue it's NOT a Nobel Prize when it's discussed at the Nobel Website along with the others, but maybe that's just me...
It's not just you, it's the world we live in...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote:
BUT I think I missed something here: OntarioQuizzer wrote:

"Besides, OP only made the semifinals of the UToC." I probably should know (of course it's been a while...) but who is OP?

And I'll add Happy New Year to all :)
OP directed A Beautiful Mind.

[Sorry. Could not resist. I'll show myself out.]
I hate when people quote stuff and then post their wish that there were a "Like" button on the board, but I literally looked for the "Like" button on this post.
Hey, I tried to incorporate one, but the consensus was against it. There are quite a few times I'd have wanted to one as well.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Preemptive strike:

TenPoundHammer wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote:
BUT I think I missed something here: OntarioQuizzer wrote:

"Besides, OP only made the semifinals of the UToC." I probably should know (of course it's been a while...) but who is OP?

And I'll add Happy New Year to all :)
OP directed A Beautiful Mind.

[Sorry. Could not resist. I'll show myself out.]
WLT the OP joke?
OQ was using OP to represent "Original Poster", referring to teapot37 aka Chris Miller. OP is also a homophone for Opie, a character played on the Andy Griffith show by Ron Howard, who grew up to direct A Beautiful Mind. In an amazing work of artistry, OrangeSam combined the two into a tremendous joke.
NHO Andy Griffith, Opie, Ron Howard, A Beautiful Mind, or Chris Miller.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

goforthetie wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:For Best Picture winners about some who (even if chances are next to none) could have won a Nobel who's on the list?

Gandhi
Patton
Emile Zola

others?
Gandhi was who I was referring to in my comment above. He probably would have won a Nobel had he not been assassinated. If you think of both A Beautiful Mind and Gandhi in the 30 seconds, which would you conclude is more likely: that Gandhi won the Nobel Peace Prize, or that Nash counts as a "title character"?

The thought of Patton winning a Nobel is hilarious. Would TE Lawrence or Oskar Schindler fit better?
If they had said "title character" it might have been clear that Nash does not qualify. "Title subject" seemed like splitting hairs and awfully, awfully tricky, if not downright deceitful.

Didn't matter for me, though. My very first thought was "A Beautiful Mind," but I realized that even if that was right I was never going to dredge up the name John Nash. I also went with Gandhi. I didn't think he won the Peace Prize but thought he might very well have done wo. Certainly deserved it.

Congrats to the champ on a hard-fought second win.

Knowledge of church history gave me LT on Joshua, Pope Urban, and the rib structure on cathedrals.

All you boardies out there, stay safe on Amateur Night, and see you next year.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Some would argue this FJ has no correct answers. The "Nobel Prize in Economics" isn't, technically, a Nobel Prize.
This is correct. The official name is the " Swedish National Bank's Prize In Economic Sciences In Memory Of Alfred Nobel." It's awarding in the Nobel ceremony is controversial, as economics cannot be termed a science in the same way chemistry or biology is, since it is not subject to peer reviewed journals.

And don't get me started on the "title subject" part. This FJ should be taken out and shot.
There are several posters in this thread who are being argumentative just for sake of doing so. The Nobel Prize discussion as it pertains to a Jeopardy clue is silly and detracts from what was a straightforward FJ.

Oscars is standard Jeopardy fare that should be studied by all contestants before taping, but as we know very few actually do.
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

Re: FJ:

Very first thought was Schindler, then soon switched to Nash (knowing he had won a Nobel and having no recollection of that for Schindler), and then spent the remaining ~20 seconds debating the phrasing of "title subject" and whether or not I should switch to Ghandi.

I think 'title subject' is very misleading since clearly it's saying a specific man is the title subject. Therefore, I would think that man's name (or something particular/unique to him) should appear in some form in the title, right?
For example, if the movie had been called "Nash's Equilibrium", that makes sense. But "A Beautiful Mind" is vague there's nothing in those three words that points you to John Nash in any way if you didn't already know it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote:
Some would argue this FJ has no correct answers. The "Nobel Prize in Economics" isn't, technically, a Nobel Prize.
This is correct. The official name is the " Swedish National Bank's Prize In Economic Sciences In Memory Of Alfred Nobel." It's awarding in the Nobel ceremony is controversial, as economics cannot be termed a science in the same way chemistry or biology is, since it is not subject to peer reviewed journals.

And don't get me started on the "title subject" part. This FJ should be taken out and shot.
There are several posters in this thread who are being argumentative just for sake of doing so. The Nobel Prize discussion as it pertains to a Jeopardy clue is silly and detracts from what was a straightforward FJ.

Oscars is standard Jeopardy fare that should be studied by all contestants before taping, but as we know very few actually do.
Knowing whether Nash or Gandhi won the prize or knowing if the films about them won Best Picture, absolutely that is fair game, and I don't think anyone is arguing that it isn't. The point about the Economic Prize not being a true Nobel Prize, I guess that's an interesting fact, though i don't think anyone is strenuously arguing that it breaks this clue.

I do think this clue had one major flaw, the choice of the words "title subject". I think it would be very plausible for someone to, in parsing this clue in 30 seconds, to be able to think "I know A Beautiful Mind won Best Picture, and I know John Nash won the Nobel for Economics, but is that the answer they're looking for? Is the title subject John Nash, or is it his mind? Did his mind win the Nobel Prize? I suppose in a sense it did, as his mind did the work that was honored, but no prize has ever been engraved with "The Mind of ______" on it, I presume. Maybe they just didn't think of Nash when they wrote this. I bet the answer is someone else...did Gandhi win the Nobel Peace Prize? I know the film won Best Picture. I'm at 24 seconds so I don't have much more time to think about this, I'm gonna guess that Gandhi is the answer they want, I sure don't want to answer Nash and get ruled wrong on a technicality.

Try the clue again without the word "title": The only Nobel Prize winner to be the subject of a Best Picture Oscar winner is this man

Does this leave any ambiguity? Is there any Nobel Prize winner that was a part of a Best Picture winning film but not in the title? No one that I can think of. But then again, someone could have had some small mention or reference. Maybe this is better: The only Nobel Prize winner to be the main subject of a Best Picture Oscar winner is this man

This tells us we're not necessarily looking for someone named in the title. So something like The King's Speech or A Man for All Seasons or A Beautiful Mind should be fair game, if any of them were about a Nobel winner. I think the writers failed a bit on this one. There should never be a time in processing an FJ clue that you think of an answer that you know factually fits all the parts of the clue, you're just not sure if you're correctly reading what they want you to see as the factual parts of the clue. Certainly some could argue that of course John Nash is the title subject, it's his mind, duh, but again, I think a reasonable person could very easily be unsure about this and try to search for an alternate answer instead of going with something they're concerned might be ruled out by the clue.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote:

I agree about the Nobel argument, but it's also true that studying the Oscars lists in the way most people do isn't going to get you far in solving this clue. The movie is far enough in the past that, for me at least, having seen it was not much help. I remember it as a movie about a troubled math genius, not about a Nobel Prize winner.
Studying lists of Nobel Prize winners would have been more helpful.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

A T fans need read no further, more carping.

I wish he would cease commenting (in my mind negatively) after repeating a contestants DD wager,e.g. $1,000 ONLY?
In this game I think he influenced Kate to increase her wager to $2,000 upon hitting the second DD, which she unfortunately missed, as I recall.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Put me down in the "immediately went to ABM but could not remember Nash so put Ghandi" basket. Also thrown by FJ wording but I'm getting used to seeing sloppy clues on J!

Why was Glacier Bay accepted for national park? Anyone else neg on Glacier National Park? I think that's very tricksy.

I know nothing about country music. I've heard of all those songs but got "Georgia on my Mind" for $200 and nothing else. Guessed Alabama Shakes for the DD. Would have favored ANAGRAMS over GEORGIA any day.

Anyone else neg on flying "butt"ress? LOL. I thought only condoms were ribbed.

I think they should create a 'Bible Jeopardy' spin-off show and eliminate saints, popes, and biblical stories from regular game material. My nine years in Catholic grammar school left me with the most basic Bible knowledge. I'm at the point where watching Jeopardy!, I feel overwhelmed by everything I don't know and have trouble deciding what to focus on in terms of prep for a chance that may never come.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

morbeedo wrote:I think they should create a 'Bible Jeopardy' spin-off show and eliminate saints, popes, and biblical stories from regular game material. My nine years in Catholic grammar school left me with the most basic Bible knowledge. I'm at the point where watching Jeopardy!, I feel overwhelmed by everything I don't know and have trouble deciding what to focus on in terms of prep for a chance that may never come.
They created a "sports Jeopardy!" spinoff show and didn't get rid of the sports questions on the regular show (much to my Coryat's chagrin)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote:And Joshua was a TS?

Maybe they didn't learn the song:

Joshua fought the Battle of Jericho, Jericho, Jericho
Joshua fought the Battle of Jericho
And the walls came tumbling down
It's more fun if you do the hand and body motions.
Oh, I'm sure. Don't know how I actually learned the song because I was quite young... maybe from my parents, maybe at Church (but it doesn't seem as though it would be an Episcopalian kids' hymn), or maybe just from hearing it around... BTW, I was on the phone to my cousin and asked her the clue ----- she replied "Aaron" and then I started singing...
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Hi all -

THANK YOU Jeff 6286 for cluing me in as to what OP meant - original poster. Sorry MarkBarrett, but even if I had tried looking up Chris' teapot handle, that wouldn't have been clear to me at all. I thought it was a contestant's initials that were referred to.

As far as the joke... well, it did give me a smile, as of course I recognized OP as indeed a homophone for "Opie", director Ron Howard's character back on the Andy Griffith Show. And yes, I remember watching that as a kid...(yup, I'm over-------whatever! :)
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

jeff6286 wrote:So something like The King's Speech or A Man for All Seasons or A Beautiful Mind should be fair game, if any of them were about a Nobel winner.
I wonder if The King's Speech, now that you mention it, inspired the wording of the clue. Winston Churchill (Nobel Laureate for Literature, not Peace) was an important supporting character in that film. That is the only example I can think of (besides Nash) of a Nobel Prize winner in a Best Picture film. Can anyone think of any others?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

As someone mentioned his death in an auto accident a while ago, check out the article title:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/joh ... sh-n363901
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote:As someone mentioned his death in an auto accident a while ago, check out the article title:

Notice it doesn't say "title subject."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote:
econgator wrote:As someone mentioned his death in an auto accident a while ago, check out the article title:

Notice it doesn't say "title subject."
It does say 'subject of title' though, and given "i of j", "j i" usually (if memory serves) means the same thing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Kate had no luck solving the gettable (if one is old enough) Lonesome Dove or Alabama on her DDs
I don't recall what round the Georgia Songs category was in, but if Devil Went Down to Georgia was in one of the clues it would have been the second game in a row to feature a clue directly related to one of the contestant's interviews. I wonder if Kate had any inclination to bet big on her DD in anticipation of that circumstance. I don't know where to go to check the J-6 clues, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that it was about that song.
I easily got the Alabama DD just on the basis of the geography hint and knowing there is a group named Alabama.

As for the FJ clue, I was drawing a blank through most of the think music, then blurted out "Patton" at the last second. I immediately realized it couldn't be right though. I fell into the 'title character' trap.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

morbeedo wrote:Why was Glacier Bay accepted for national park? Anyone else neg on Glacier National Park?
I didn't realize I had until you brought it up. I assumed they were one and the same. Guess I need to amend my Coryat.
Sprinkles are for winners.