The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Elijah Baley wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Farragut and Mobile Bay come up quite a bit on the show.
Heck, TPH should just watch Gone With The Wind - Rhett Butler running the Northern blockade is referenced several times.
The Alabama was a blockade runner, maybe he was on it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Why is Venus hotter than Mercury? That doesn't make any sense.
Tyson explained it in the answer.
I need to see the words to that clue again.
Greenhouse effect. Yes, the same one on Earth.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TPH wrote:How about a TOM or something in this clue, huh?!
I'm assuming you're referring to FJ. The TOM were the years given. The League of Nations was formed after WWI and started to crumble at the outset of WWII.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It would seem logical that Mercury would be hotter. That is why he gave a detailed explanation of why it isn't.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TPH wrote:How about a TOM or something in this clue, huh?!
I'm assuming you're referring to FJ. The TOM were the years given. The League of Nations was formed after WWI and started to crumble at the outset of WWII.
Again, I tuned out the years as irrelevant noise, and thought they were going for a "these names kinda sorta almost vaguely sound like they belong to a certain country" like they so often do.
Bamaman wrote:It would seem logical that Mercury would be hotter. That is why he gave a detailed explanation of why it isn't.
Still, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah hottest in our solar system", why would you NOT knee-jerk Mercury?
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It would seem logical that Mercury would be hotter. That is why he gave a detailed explanation of why it isn't.
Still, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah hottest in our solar system", why would you NOT knee-jerk Mercury?
1. Mercury isn't in the habitable zone.
2. Mercury doesn't have an atmosphere.
3. You don't try to make excuses for not knowing the astronomy basics.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Because 1. and 2. are sooooooo widely known, right?!
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
What, no sarcastic reply to 3. as well?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Because 1. and 2. are sooooooo widely known, right?!
Yes, they are.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There is no need to have any knowledge of astronomy other than the names of the planets and their order from the sun. You seem to know that.

You said it made sense that the closest planet would be the he hotest. I agree that is a logical conclusion. But that is why Tyson explained why Venus is hotter. If Mercury were the hotest it wouldn't be an interesting fact to know that might come up in a trivia game. In other words, if it was Mercury, they probably wouldn't ask it or at least not give such a detailed explanation.

Tune into his show on the National Geographic Channel to learn more.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Frankly, TPH, my 12 year old could tell you that, as could either of my college aged sons. But we've all got an aptitude for science, perhaps that is what is lacking in your case?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Bamaman wrote:There is no need to have any knowledge of astronomy other than the names of the planets and their order from the sun. You seem to know that.

You said it made sense that the closest planet would be the he hotest. I agree that is a logical conclusion. But that is why Tyson explained why Venus is hotter. If Mercury were the hotest it wouldn't be an interesting fact to know that might come up in a trivia game. In other words, if it was Mercury, they probably wouldn't ask it or at least not give such a detailed explanation.
This. Also, "Venus is the hottest planet in our solar system despite being farther from the sun than Mercury" is about as basic a trivia factoid as there is. Just trust us, it is. Commit it to memory. It will come up again.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Bamaman wrote:There is no need to have any knowledge of astronomy other than the names of the planets and their order from the sun. You seem to know that.

This. Also, "Venus is the hottest planet in our solar system despite being farther from the sun than Mercury" is about as basic a trivia factoid as there is. Just trust us, it is. Commit it to memory. It will come up again.
But if you don't know all that already, then it's easy to just go "Oh, hottest planet, must be Mercury" in spite of the tl;dr explanation.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you aren't even going to listen to the clue then why are you even here?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:If you aren't even going to listen to the clue then why are you even here?
If you all know he's not going to listen to the clue, then why are the rest of you even here? ;)

44 pages and I can't honestly say a single thing has been learned.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So what I'm getting is "Sometimes you have to pay attention to all the words in a clue, sometimes you can just glom onto a random word or two."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So what I'm getting is "Sometimes you have to pay attention to all the words in a clue, sometimes you can just glom onto a random word or two."
Q.E.D.
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:If you aren't even going to listen to the clue then why are you even here?
If you all know he's not going to listen to the clue, then why are the rest of you even here? ;)
I see what you did there....
Well played.
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I also saw "blah blah blah Israelites blah blah Jericho" but then also saw "Moses", which was enough to convince me that no way in a billion years could it possibly be Joshua.
This may be your most remarkable statement yet. I don't remember the exact wording of this clue, and it isn't in the archive yet, but the mention of Moses was supposed to help guide you to Joshua. If the clue had just been "He led to the Israelites into the Promised Land," Moses would have been what we call a negbait - a response that seems highly plausible, sometimes even apparently obvious, but is wrong. (Although if Jericho was mentioned, then that is what we call Pavlov for Joshua - a word in a clue that almost always leads to a particular response. The name comes from the famous Pavlov's dog experiment.) But if you know Moses is ruled out, then that should guide you to Joshua.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I also saw "blah blah blah Israelites blah blah Jericho" but then also saw "Moses", which was enough to convince me that no way in a billion years could it possibly be Joshua.
This may be your most remarkable statement yet. I don't remember the exact wording of this clue, and it isn't in the archive yet, but the mention of Moses was supposed to help guide you to Joshua. If the clue had just been "He led to the Israelites into the Promised Land," Moses would have been what we call a negbait - a response that seems highly plausible, sometimes even apparently obvious, but is wrong. (Although if Jericho was mentioned, then that is what we call Pavlov for Joshua - a word in a clue that almost always leads to a particular response. The name comes from the famous Pavlov's dog experiment.) But if you know Moses is ruled out, then that should guide you to Joshua.
I didn't make the connection of Joshua being Moses' successor. I thought their stories were completely unrelated. So that's why "Moses" threw me completely off the trail.