Wednesday, January 4, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

I will hope that somebody got tonight's FJ because we discussed the movie in the previous thread about LOTR.{Edit: It was actually in the TPH Education Thread.] I know I emphasized the 1963 film over the remake. The memory certainly helped me, though it took me 20 or more seconds, and my scrawl of the 4 words does not form one of my most readable responses. But I'm counting it!
Why call a category "V"acation Spots if the v can be anywhere? :roll: That hampered rather than helped me on the category - I know I would have gotten Galveston if I hadn't been back looking for a V to start.
Last edited by davey on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Kenny wrote:
I thought it was chippy for the judges not to accept "Bottom of the totem pole." Yes, "low man" is usually how it's expressed, but the former means exactly the same thing.
Except "bottom man on the totem pole" isn't the expression...However "lowest" seemed to be admirably removing the sexism from the expression so I would have accepted that... ;)
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Vatican at $400?
What is "WLT"? I haven't been able to find a definition anywhere. Based on context I think it has something to do with a clue that is valued incorrectly (or surprisingly) low.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Classic 1963 movie? - I got nothing.
Fat + spectacles - sounds like a boy from LotF, but dismissed it because it came up as FJ so recently.
I have not seen the movie, but I don't think piggy is a classic role.

I thought the lit category was tougher than usual.

Good wager by second.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
davey

Post by davey »

I'll admit that, before I got to the right response, "fat" made me think, "Is there a 'young Hitchcock' cameo in The Birds...?"
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

doihavetoreally wrote:Classic 1963 movie? - I got nothing.
Fat + spectacles - sounds like a boy from LotF, but dismissed it because it came up as FJ so recently.
I have not seen the movie, but I don't think piggy is a classic role.

I thought the lit category was tougher than usual.
Agreed. Went with The Graduate because I had nothing else.

LTAM and the champ keeps going back to the TOP 40 BEFORE & AFTER?? She either liked the category or wanted to run out the clock, or maybe just didn't have any strategy at all. 0/5 in Top 40.

Ran Greek words but that Lit category was evil.

LT: Marie Kondo, Vatican City, charisma and Bayeux tapestry (DD)

So sad when a DD doesn't get picked.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

doihavetoreally wrote:I thought the lit category was tougher than usual.
Definitely! When Amanda uncovered the DD in the $2000 spot, I was yelling at her to bet $5. They got stumped on the $800 and $1600 clues. Why would she bet more than the minimum on the hardest clue? Yeah, bet a lot if you're way behind and this dim hope is your best shot. Yeah, bet a few hundred to make it a runaway if it's the last clue and losing that much won't hurt you. But if you're narrowly ahead with two categories (minus a $400 clue) left on the board? Fuhgeddaboudit.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

Between Dumb Down the Saying, Top 40 Before & After, "V Is a Letter of the Alphabet Used in Many Words," and yet another Lord of the Flies FJ, this game was just painful to watch. Oy.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

This was instaget for goats- image of chubby ("husky!") kid with glasses getting murdered... J! loves this story and it just keeps coming back. Piggy was on quite recently, it's a revisit, but I can't find the reference in J-Archives looks like some games didn't get posted in Dec, looks like in forums it was 16 Nov <Digs through notes fruitlessly> :!:

46 R for goats with LT: Maria Teresa >Habsburg mother of Marie Antoinette; Rosetta stone used by Ottomans for construction; Bayeux tapestry; Mary Tyler Moore Show theme (Love is all Around); Vatican, El Salvador (recently saw this too as one of 2 Central Am countries with only one coast); Jack Dawkins = Artful Dodger in Oliver Twist(!); Marius is the fiance to Cosette in Les Mis, tough & tricky get! (Even more tougher; 'Eponine' is the tragic daughter of Thenardiers that had a crush on Marius and takes a bullet, passing love letter from Cosette. 1862!). :shock:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Totally misread the FJ clue. I thought they were asking for the actor. No clue. And LOTF never entered my mind.
mcsheffrey wrote:
What is "WLT"?
What led to...
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Object (2), Germany (4), TV (4), Dumb (2), Don "E" (3), Marie (4)
Interview (3), Greek (2), Top 40 (4), Novel (2), Early (1), "V"acation (3)

Lach Trash: Mary Tyler Moore Show, Maria Theresa, Vatican City, charisma, Les Miserables, Gangsta's Paradise by the Dashboard Light; DD: Bayeux Tapestry

I had no clue for FJ, but I knew it was Lord of the Flies when Alex mentioned Piggy.
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

mcsheffrey wrote:What is "WLT"? I haven't been able to find a definition anywhere. Based on context I think it has something to do with a clue that is valued incorrectly (or surprisingly) low.
No, it's one certain poster's abbreviation for "what led to?" If you'd like to answer any of these questions, you can use The Official TPH Education Thread. Or you can beat your head against a wall.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

mxc_takeshi wrote:I had no clue for FJ, but I knew it was Lord of the Flies when Alex mentioned Piggy.
Thee and me...even though I was aware of the original 60's Lord Of The Flies, it never crossed my mind. And even if it did, I would have immediately dismissed it because, as quite a few have said, they had a LotF FJ! just a couple of months ago. Instead, 'young actor' made me kept racking my brains to try to come up with someone then in their 20s/30s instead of a child.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I got FJ almost immediately. A Christmas Story also came to mind for a brief second but of course, that's not from the '60's.

Surprised that none of the players got came up with the correct response.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:I thought the lit category was tougher than usual.
Definitely! When Amanda uncovered the DD in the $2000 spot, I was yelling at her to bet $5. They got stumped on the $800 and $1600 clues. Why would she bet more than the minimum on the hardest clue? Yeah, bet a lot if you're way behind and this dim hope is your best shot. Yeah, bet a few hundred to make it a runaway if it's the last clue and losing that much won't hurt you. But if you're narrowly ahead with two categories (minus a $400 clue) left on the board? Fuhgeddaboudit.
IMO, the only one that was tricky was the Oliver-Twist-Jack Dawkins because the hero of Treasure Island is Jack Hawkins - I fell for that too, though Aunt Sally should have pointed me right. The Bennets, Renfield-Dracula, Huckleberry, all standard trivia. And I hardly consider the DD a literature clue - everybody who's seen Les Miserables remembers Gavroche.(Vulnerable kids - always classic roles!).. :)
Last edited by davey on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

JayK33 wrote:I got FJ almost immediately. A Christmas Story also came to mind for a brief second but of course, that's not from the '60's.
Ralphie's not fat!... :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Already I've gotten more FJs right this week than in any of the three previous weeks. LotF was the first thing I thought of, and it was my grudging response after I couldn't think of a comic strip character who fit the description.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

rpg wrote: Hated that dumb down category, that totem pole one was just stupid. Also thought that FJ was just terrible. Lord of the Flies is not a popular, acclaimed, or at all notable movie, and is only "classic" in the sense that it's old.
Criterion released it on DVD, so I'm gonna have to throw the challenge flag on "not acclaimed" and "not notable" there.
https://www.criterion.com/films/563-lord-of-the-flies

On the flip side, it -did- take me about 10 seconds for that to click, though, and I wasn't such a Criterion buff I'd probably forget there -was- a movie version of it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote:No offense to the Jeopardy writers, but I don't think they remotely understood the FJ category. Say what you will about the book or the movie, Piggy is not a classic movie role. For starters, when I think of a movie role, I think about the actor or actress, like Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade or Rick Blaine.
Rick Blaine was my pre-call.

I said "The Sound of Music" because it was a movie from about the right time period that involved kids. Was pretty sure it was wrong, but better than nothing.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

"You're (I'm) the low man on the totem pole" is a common metephore from an older generation. I knew what they were going for and had no problem with the clue.

Agree with what other commentors are saying about FJ being way out in left field, though. When I saw the category, I thought I'd end my 11 game missed FJ streak. Not with clues like that. The category should have been called: 'Great Moments in Cinema Obscurity'.

I also had a problem with the writers pinning a Wings song "from 1977", when Maybe I'm Amazed actually originated in 1970. I wouldn't have buzzed in because I had no idea what the first part of the B&A was on that clue, but I was sitting there scratching my head trying to think of a McCartney song from that year.
Please leave the live version retro-releases in the archives from now on.