Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEN OF SCIENCE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Him vs. him: "The Life-Long Feud that Electrified the World" is a book about these 2 men

Amanda Berofsky: 21000-7401=13599
Joe Bartolomeo: 14200-200=14000 (New champ)
Kelsey Morgan: 6800+6800=13600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Tesla & Edison (Amanda – Tesla and) (Joe – Edison & Lumiere)

Daily Doubles
Joe: 4800+800
Amanda: 10200+2000
Joe: 12600-1200

Coryats
Amanda: 19800
Joe: 15400
Kelsey: 6800

Combined: 42,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I got snagged on "Retinue" on Basketball for $200 and had no idea what the clue was trying to say. Didn't know that "press" was a basketball term, either.

Couldn't pull any countries beginning with N, European or otherwise. Also blanked on Moby-Dick, Hunter S. Thompson, and Beatrix Potter.

Can't say I've heard of "on the lam", "latent", "lyceum", or "let" as a synonym for rent, and blanked on "loophole" because I forgot the category. Why am I doing so poorly in word categories lately?

That whole Moreno category was miles over my head.

3/5 on Shark, not as well as I'd thought.

Tesla and Edison surfaced briefly, but I was 9001% certain that I was misremembering one or both men's conflict, and 18,002% that both were wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Edison, obviously, but I lost my Tesla v. Westinghouse coinflip. :oops: I thought Westinghouse hated Edison, and Tesla didn't really care.

I would not have been very happy with just ballets and canadian lakes left on the board, just saying.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents
Last edited by OSXpert on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Wait....2nd place made a proper wager (yes first equals second plus third, but with ties off the table, I personally would rather keep 3rd locked out and play for the stumper than bet it all and hope the leader offers a tie)?? 3rd correctly bet it all, and didn't leave a useless dollar behind? It's a miracle!!! Champ probably shouldn't have bet the extra dollar, but eh, minor quibble. Too bad, she seemed like a keeper.

Got to Tesla immediately (that was the tricky one, eh Alex? Sure.), took a bit to think of Edison, because I keep thinking of him as just a late 19th c. figure, and forgetting that he died in 1931.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Given Joe's DD wagering, I felt the chances of him betting it all were very slim. So I would have felt safe offering the tie from the lead. But Joe had third locked out so he had a safe option to bet small and grab the win if Amanda misses it. Kelsey made the smart wager and was rewarded with an extra thousand dollars. Amanda had won twice so all three did well.

The middle box on Rita Moreno was going to be seen no matter what. I prevailed Electric Company and it was neat hearing Hey, you guys!!!

I got FJ, but spent a long time wondering if Tessa was right.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Instagot Tesla/Edison because I had just watched a doc on the AC vs. DC debate on "Mysteries At The Museum" last week. What a fortuitous wager by #2. I don't know how he came up with $200, but it turned out to be brilliant. (Maybe if he posts here, he'll explain.)

I consider sports trivia as one of my strengths, so I was fairly shocked to only get one of the "basketball terms" clues correct (dunk). Those were tougher than I expected.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Edison and Tesla immediately came to mind as scientists who feuded, but I was thinking maybe it was someone much longer ago than that. Then I re-read the clue and saw the word 'electrified' and went, "Ohhhhhh .... " and knew I was right.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Good high scoring game.
+1 for basketball being tough.

Was concerned about Westinghouse, but landed on Tesla.

How is DHK feeling about lake DD?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

When I saw the occupations of the two challengers, I thought this game would be a real barn-burner, and it was. We needed a $42k combined Coryat after some of those recent games.
I loved the Canadian Lakes category. The DD reminded me of RCraig's missed TDD in the one Battle of the Decades game, but at least this time, "Manitoba" was given in the clue. More Canadian geography, clue writers!
Instaget FJ.
Hoping for a third lap
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I only got Edison. My second guess was incorrect.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

OSXpert wrote:Edison, obviously, but I lost my Tesla v. Westinghouse coinflip. :oops: I thought Westinghouse hated Edison, and Tesla didn't really care.
Westinghouse arguably was more important to the real-life feud, but I think Tesla is more likely to be a Jeopardy! due to his cult following (cf. Elon Musk) and several pop culture treatments of the feud that generally emphasize Tesla and relegate Westinghouse to a passing mention at best.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Amanda seemed to be getting stronger each game, but it's tough to keep playing with 0/3 on the FJ! clues. A little more on her "loophole" DD and then she could have got the threepeat. Or a braver bet by Joe than just his $1200 on his DD miss would have saved Amanda also.

The FJ! round wagers by Kelsey and Joe completed a good showing by all the players. It seemed like Alex momentarily overlooked Joe's winning 14K and was about to give the title to Kelsey a buck better than Amanda.

Edison & Tesla for me as the clue was worded in a way that it does not matter I had the guys reversed from how they were listed on the title of the book.

The light guys seem to be popular subjects for books. I have this one at home: https://www.amazon.com/Last-Days-Night- ... 472&sr=1-3
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

OK, this game made up for my crabby attitude about yesterday's. :D

A few thoughts:

1. I didn't recognize Rita Moreno with that hair

2. Not sure if this counts as a pre-call, but I was hoping there would be an Electric Company clue in that category
2a. And West Side Story

3. From an Ohio mainland beach I visit several times a year, on a clear day it's possible to see the southernmost point of Canada with the naked eye, so that was an easy one for me (...also because Erie is the southernmost Great Lake)

4. Called Edison & Tesla before he finished reading the clue, largely thanks to The Oatmeal [swear warning]
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OSXpert wrote:Edison, obviously, but I lost my Tesla v. Westinghouse coinflip. :oops: I thought Westinghouse hated Edison, and Tesla didn't really care.
I think we were just discussing this here a few months ago (or maybe the LL board?).
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Given Amanda's first two games, I was sure she would make the standard shut-out bet. When Joe's wager was revealed, I was pleasantly surprised but also hoped Amanda had rolled the dice with a small wager. It's what I would have done.
I felt sorry for her but like MarkBarrett commented, she should have bet a little more on her DD. Just $800 more would have been enough in this case.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

For the record, Tesla (the band) had a song about their namesake called "Man Out of Time (Edison's Medicine)".

That's how I knew FJ.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Instagot Tesla on FJ, but for some cockamamie reason, went with Marconi for the rival. Edison came to me just a second or two after the think music ("D'oh!! He was the other uber-inventor then!!")...continuing my batting a thousand on these recent FJs. :oops:

Joining the chorus of those who thought the basketball category was crazy tricky. B-ball is usually one of my wheelhouses, just not tonight. But running Rita Moreno made up for the sins of that and FJ...I've always liked her AND in turn the one time I actually did enjoy a celebrity read/spoken category.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

There were two clues that I got because of being a faithful Jeopardy watcher, but I'm only remembering one at the moment: a DD miss on Lake Winnipeg put the nail in the coffin on Roger Craig's chances in the BotD finals, and made tonight's DD easier for me.

Once the FJ clue was revealed, I thought the wagering situation had been made moot because it was so easy. Shows what I know (but at least I knew FJ).