LL71: For The LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by Volante »

sarisson wrote:That Antarctica 1DS played much harder than I expected. I finished in the top half despite going 5/12 and missing one of the moneys.
Ooh, I think that one gave me my first 90+ percentile rank.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OSXpert wrote:I had swimming for that question
Actually only six of the twelve Pac-12 schools have men's swimming. I wouldn't expect anyone to know that, however anyone who's watched the Olympics knows there are approximately one million events in swimming, so "...the individual title" doesn't make sense in the context of swimming. :D

Wrestling is another sport that has taken a huge hit in the past 30 years due to schools trying to reach gender-equity in their sports programs. Something like 170 college wrestling programs have been cut. Other non-revenue men's sports have taken hits, too, but I think wrestling has been decimated the worst.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

sarisson wrote:That Antarctica 1DS played much harder than I expected. I finished in the top half despite going 5/12 and missing one of the moneys.
I finished in the 13th percentile (thanks in part by confusing Shackleton with Scott, which is a mortal trivia sin). Suffice it to say I had the cold hand Wednesday night.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

Blue Lion wrote:I finished in the 13th percentile (thanks in part by confusing Shackleton with Scott, which is a mortal trivia sin). Suffice it to say I had the cold hand Wednesday night.
I didn't confuse him with Scott, but I did confuse him with Lenin. :oops: Not my best guess.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Aye, keep yer Scotts and Shackletons in their own boats, thankee! That said, DO take a look at "LEGS" one-day, surprisingly interesting and some good gets in there! :idea:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

goatman wrote:Aye, keep yer Scotts and Shackletons in their own boats, thankee! That said, DO take a look at "LEGS" one-day, surprisingly interesting and some good gets in there! :idea:
I think Shackleton had a problem or two staying in his boat.

I was watching an old NCIS over the weekend, and at the end, Gibbs was shown at home reading the book Endurance by Alfred Lansing, which I had read a few months ago.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

alietr wrote:
goatman wrote:Aye, keep yer Scotts and Shackletons in their own boats, thankee! That said, DO take a look at "LEGS" one-day, surprisingly interesting and some good gets in there! :idea:

I was watching an old NCIS over the weekend, and at the end, Gibbs was shown at home reading the book Endurance by Alfred Lansing, which I had read a few months ago.
A most excellent read, of which I have a tattered and dog-eared copy of sorts. Ernest DID stay in his boat for an awful long time... overwintered but when the ice instead of melting just began to move and ate HMS Endurance, he had to walk out. Cockleshells it was and his garden didn't grow on a stony beach on windswept Elephant Isle. Incredible tale of "endurance' especially the end where he went off into uncharted wilderness on South Georgia to find help, climbed an impassable mountain and literally fell off the other side, landing in the Norwegian whaling outpost on S. Georgia. Died penniless and largely forgotten. Gotta love this guy, should be a movie IMHO. :idea: :!:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

goatman wrote:
alietr wrote:

A most excellent read, of which I have a tattered and dog-eared copy of sorts. Ernest DID stay in his boat for an awful long time... overwintered but when the ice instead of melting just began to move and ate HMS Endurance, he had to walk out. Cockleshells it was and his garden didn't grow on a stony beach on windswept Elephant Isle. Incredible tale of "endurance' especially the end where he went off into uncharted wilderness on South Georgia to find help, climbed an impassable mountain and literally fell off the other side, landing in the Norwegian whaling outpost on S. Georgia. Died penniless and largely forgotten. Gotta love this guy, should be a movie IMHO. :idea: :!:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272839/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:I think this is fair to say. The Pretty Little Liars 1Day is worth looking at, even if you've never seen the show.
I playtested this one. The smith was fine with me knowing nothing about the show, but I appreciated the good writing and it looks like it would be fun to actually play.

There have been a couple of 1DSes I didn't enter, but I'm happy with my performance in the ones I did play.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

alietr wrote:
goatman wrote:
alietr wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272839/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
O FGS! Look yet another!!: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264578/?ref_=tt_rec_tt
<goes running to AMZN store!> Thanks Boardies!!! :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:I think this is fair to say. The Pretty Little Liars 1Day is worth looking at, even if you've never seen the show.
Like most of the 1-D games that dig so deep into the weeds I did look at this one and NHO any reference in 12 clues nor were half even comprehensible to me.
So, now that the scores are out, even Qs2 and 4 didn't give you enough to work with?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Found 'Shackleton" in my local library, placed a hold on line and get it delivered FREE!! :D

O FGS< L@@K @YouTube!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bToqGFvAcM
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I'm in Group 52 in Social Science, with two TOCers... including Rex Kramer's opponent in the 2006 semifinal. Interestingly, their other opponent in that game had been defeated by the smith in regular play.
Hoping for a third lap
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I'm in Extracts group 55, don't recognize anyone though I don't know all of your names.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

In 59 in extracts, 102 in portraits, and 117 in social sciences. PahkJ is in my extracts group. Don't recognize any other boardies or TOCers, but I may be missing someone. Browsing the archive I think I see at least a couple one-day champs in each group.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I'm in Extracts Group 33 (with OldSchoolChamp), Portraits Group 11, and Social Sciences Group 1.
Sprinkles are for winners.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I'm in Extracts Group 107, Portraits Group 35, and Social Sciences Group 24.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I'm in group 26 for Social Sciences.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote:
goatman wrote:
Like most of the 1-D games that dig so deep into the weeds I did look at this one and NHO any reference in 12 clues nor were half even comprehensible to me.
So, now that the scores are out, even Qs2 and 4 didn't give you enough to work with?
They didn't for me. I'm not sure I would have gotten a single correct answer on that one day.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote:
goatman wrote:
They didn't for me. I'm not sure I would have gotten a single correct answer on that one day.
I looked in on this out of curiosity. Knowing nothing about the show, I got questions 4, 7, and 11.