FJs for the 1/2/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/2/17 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Between 1920 & 1939 its presidents included Leon Bourgeois, Tevfik Aras & Carlos Saavedra Lamas
78%
Named for a saint & built in 1348, Vaclavske Namesti is the main square & center of cultural life in this capital city
58%
A letter to the director that said, “Dear Sir, I am fat & wear spectacles” got a young actor a role in this 1963 film
34%
Him vs. him: "The Life-Long Feud that Electrified the World" is a book about these 2 men
83%
"Modern bourgeois society…is like the sorcerer who is no longer able to control the powers…called up by his spells"
55%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
11%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! cues.
2%
LITERATURE IN ACTION $600: Like Michael Crichton, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a thriller with this title about a land inhabited by dinosaurs
51%
MARIE $800: Marie Laveau was a famous 19th century Voodoo practitioner in this city
80%
CANADIAN LAKES $800: The northern tip of this Vermont-New York lake juts into Quebec just south of Montreal
78%
Warsaw was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
14%
Piggy's use in a recent FJ! clue or not feeling that "Lord of the Flies" produced CLASSIC MOVIE ROLES impacted my solving process for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
26%
I had Edison for the Thursday FJ! clue.
77%
I had Tesla for the Thursday FJ! clue.
67%
I had Westinghouse for the Thursday FJ! clue.
4%
"Das Kapital" was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
25%

Total votes: 128

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 1/2/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS

1/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Between 1920 & 1939 its presidents included Leon Bourgeois, Tevfik Aras & Carlos Saavedra Lamas

1/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CITIES

1/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Named for a saint & built in 1348, Vaclavske Namesti is the main square & center of cultural life in this capital city

1/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC MOVIE ROLES

1/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A letter to the director that said, “Dear Sir, I am fat & wear spectacles” got a young actor a role in this 1963 film

1/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEN OF SCIENCE

1/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Him vs. him: "The Life-Long Feud that Electrified the World" is a book about these 2 men

1/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAME THE 19th CENTURY WORK

1/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Modern bourgeois society…is like the sorcerer who is no longer able to control the powers…called up by his spells"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
League of Nations
Prague
Lord of the Flies
Tesla & Edison
The Communist Manifesto
The players were 4/15 (26.67%) with a 1-0-0-1-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a triple stumper followed by two the players had correct.

LITERATURE IN ACTION $600: Like Michael Crichton, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a thriller with this title about a land inhabited by dinosaurs

MARIE $800: Marie Laveau was a famous 19th century Voodoo practitioner in this city

CANADIAN LAKES $800: The northern tip of this Vermont-New York lake juts into Quebec just south of Montreal

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
The Lost World
New Orleans
Lake Champlain
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 1/2/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OAS
Tom Jones
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

Why am I even trying anymore?
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:
:( :mrgreen: :(
DK for TCM, of course...missing a 5/5 on what was probably the easiest clue of the week...another 30 seconds I would have changed my mind... :roll:
Less success on these extras. Just failed on both I missed, another night I would have had them...Actually, The Land that Time Forgot went through my head. Turns out that's Edgar Rice Burroughs's dinosaur tale... :oops:
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Talked myself out of switching from Sofia to Prague on Tuesday, mostly because of the "named for a saint" misread
Talked myself into switching from Lord of the Flies to Citizen Kane on Wednesday, in part because of the recent Piggy FJ!
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Piggy in "Lord of the Flies" popped into my head on Wednesday, but I dismissed it as not a "classic movie role". (I wrote down "The Sound of Music" with very little confidence, since it was a movie from around that time period that featured children.)

I might have gotten it if the category name had been something like "FROM PAGE TO SCREEN" or "FILM ADAPTATIONS". "Lord of the Flies" is a classic novel, but not a classic movie.

I guess the lesson here is to try to remember that the category names can occasionally be slightly "off" and sometimes you need to set them aside.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

The recent Lord of the Flies FJ didn't occur to me until after the reveal. I was more concerned with, "Was there a 1963 adaptation of the book?"
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Tue - Warsaw
Fri - Das Kapital
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

$15,920 Coryat average this week, worse than the previous two. Hopefully next week is better.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

No guess Wednesday. Never considered the movie or the role a classic. Briefly considered the Sound of Music and Dustin Hoffman but knew they were wrong.

Insta-locked on Das Kapital, thought of the CM as a possibility too late.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Got Prague because I think of Vaclav as a Czech name. I guessed Piggy correctly when it came up previously but that didn't help me here--I don't think it's a Classic Movie Role but I don't think I would have gotten it anyway. I somehow slept through the feud between Edison and Tesla. I'm glad Das Kapital didn't occur to me, but I think I still would have gotten the right one. I worked in Burlington, VT one summer so I wasn't going to miss the Lake Champlain clue. Should have had The Lost World.

22244433155342123, 50-35
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Gosh another banner week to kick off the New Year after the blowout perfecta finish to last year's games, I feel almost ready for prime time! :!:

Seeing the 'Piggy' clue in teen tournament def made it fresh in mind when the bespectacled clue popped up again in FJ, in re: above survey. :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

All but Friday's. I knew that "Communist Manifesto" historically has been much more favored than Das Kapital as FJ material , but this quote seemed to be all about capitalism.
I'm smart and I want respect.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

The only one I got was Lord of the Flies, plus one half of the Edison/Tesla duo. Of the three extra clues, I only got The Lost World correct.

I don't watch the new episodes and haven't for a while, but catch up on the results and the winners daily online. Lucky for me, I suppose, I wasn't actively taking part at guessing FJs during the Teen Tournament, so I didn't remember the Lord of the Flies one that was included there.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Meh.

The Word Picture
Contributor

Post by The Word Picture »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :?: :oops:

:?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Das Kapital Friday
Otherwise no idea on the rest.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Nice change after three 2/5 weeks before this.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

Yuck.

I guess I really should read Lord of the Flies since the writers love it so much; somehow I never had to read it in school. So no clue on Piggy. Instaget on Prague but not sure why; probably the similarity to Vaclav Havel. And I picked TCM over DK because I felt the language quoted sounded more like a manifesto.

But I'm not happy about Tesla instead of Westinghouse. I knew all three instantly, but didn't know the specific book the clue referenced. So I picked Westinghouse because historically I thought that's more correct: Tesla was working for Westinghouse at the time on AC and was opposed to Edison's DC proposal, but the real conflict for the contracts to electrify the country was between Edison and Westinghouse. Maybe I'll have to check out the book and see what story it tells. Also, I thought that maybe Tesla was being used as negbait in the clue. Silly me!
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

:( :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :(

I was 95% certain Das Kapital was correct.