FJs for the 1/2/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/2/17 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Between 1920 & 1939 its presidents included Leon Bourgeois, Tevfik Aras & Carlos Saavedra Lamas
78%
Named for a saint & built in 1348, Vaclavske Namesti is the main square & center of cultural life in this capital city
58%
A letter to the director that said, “Dear Sir, I am fat & wear spectacles” got a young actor a role in this 1963 film
34%
Him vs. him: "The Life-Long Feud that Electrified the World" is a book about these 2 men
83%
"Modern bourgeois society…is like the sorcerer who is no longer able to control the powers…called up by his spells"
55%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
11%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! cues.
2%
LITERATURE IN ACTION $600: Like Michael Crichton, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a thriller with this title about a land inhabited by dinosaurs
51%
MARIE $800: Marie Laveau was a famous 19th century Voodoo practitioner in this city
80%
CANADIAN LAKES $800: The northern tip of this Vermont-New York lake juts into Quebec just south of Montreal
78%
Warsaw was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
14%
Piggy's use in a recent FJ! clue or not feeling that "Lord of the Flies" produced CLASSIC MOVIE ROLES impacted my solving process for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
26%
I had Edison for the Thursday FJ! clue.
77%
I had Tesla for the Thursday FJ! clue.
67%
I had Westinghouse for the Thursday FJ! clue.
4%
"Das Kapital" was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
25%

Total votes: 128

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 1/2/17 week

Post by BobF »

Wow! Surprised nearly 30% of my fellow boardies also went with Das Kapital.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I like how the poll results have fewer people getting Edison or Tesla than getting the Edison/Tesla FJ right.
BobF

Post by BobF »

seaborgium wrote:I like how the poll results have fewer people getting Edison or Tesla than getting the Edison/Tesla FJ right.
I checked them even though I wasn't sure if I should. It was unclear if that was intended for only people who got it wrong or for everybody.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
davey

Post by davey »

BobF wrote:Wow! Surprised nearly 30% of my fellow boardies also went with Das Kapital.
I thought I made an indefensible decision in choosing DK over TCM. Now I'm not so sure...
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

BobF wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I like how the poll results have fewer people getting Edison or Tesla than getting the Edison/Tesla FJ right.
I checked them even though I wasn't sure if I should. It was unclear if that was intended for only people who got it wrong or for everybody.
Yeah I intepreted those options as "I had one or the other, but not both". Hm.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote:
BobF wrote:
Yeah I intepreted those options as "I had one or the other, but not both". Hm.
I had both Edison & Tesla, so I checked each. Others who had the FJ! clue correct did not, so that is why some numbers may not add up.

Yes, I could explain my intentions behind the poll choices more although I think it works well enough for voters to make their own decisions when checking boxes.

One way to look at it it to check all boxes that apply or aim to check as many boxes as possible each week. No matter what happens the results tell the story. More of use got Edison than got Tesla. If someone missed the clue it's more likely that Tesla was the problem than Edison.

As always the option is there to re-vote, so anyone can adjust their choices.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Got Tesla and Edison thanks to a board game my son got for Christmas and a question on WWTBAM:

November 16, 2016
$5,000
Unveiled in 2016, the arcade game “War of Currents” pits what 2 inventors against each other, delivering players actual electric shocks when they take damage?
A: Bill Gates and Steve Jobs B: Alfred Nobel and Johannes Gutenberg
C: Archimedes and Leonardo da Vinci D: Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison

Flipped a coin for Das Kapital vs. Communist Manifesto and got the right answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

What's wrong with this picture? As of right now 81% got Thursday's FJ correct, but only 76% got Edison and only 63% got Tesla. Apparently some interpreted those secondary questions as "I got Edison Thursday, but not Tesla" or vice versa?

edit: oops. Should have read the thread first. I guess I'm not the first one scratching their head about this! :)
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote:What's wrong with this picture? As of right now 81% got Thursday's FJ correct, but only 76% got Edison and only 63% got Tesla. Apparently some interpreted those secondary questions as "I got Edison Thursday, but not Tesla" or vice versa?

edit: oops. Should have read the thread first. I guess I'm not the first one scratching their head about this! :)
I just answered the questions as written. No interpreting required. Since I clicked both you can tell I got the clue right.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

davey wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:What's wrong with this picture? As of right now 81% got Thursday's FJ correct, but only 76% got Edison and only 63% got Tesla. Apparently some interpreted those secondary questions as "I got Edison Thursday, but not Tesla" or vice versa?

I just answered the questions as written. No interpreting required. Since I clicked both you can tell I got the clue right.
I'm fairly new here, but I always interpret those secondary questions as intended for people who got half the answer correct. Otherwise, what's the point of asking someone who got both Edison/Tesla if they got each one right as well?
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

Tuesday: Thanks to Havel.
Wednesday: ?
Thursday: Thanks to The Prestige.
Friday: Das Kapital

davey

Post by davey »

Kenny wrote:
davey wrote:

I'm fairly new here, but I always interpret those secondary questions as intended for people who got half the answer correct. Otherwise, what's the point of asking someone who got both Edison/Tesla if they got each one right as well?
You should read the creator's post above. I'm a simple man. I trust Mark to say what he means.
beatlesfan317

Post by beatlesfan317 »

If it's a history/current events/politics FJ I know I have a 90% chance of nailing it. If it is European Literature, I don't even try!
Panic Mansion http://philome.la/beatlesfan317/panic-mansion is a combination of a trivia game and an action-rpg available to play online, in a web browser for free. You must answer questions and defeating bosses at the end of each level.
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: