Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY NOTABLES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Calling him a red-headed madman, in 1889 a group of his neighbors signed a petition to ban him from his home in Arles, France

Joe Bartolomeo: 8800+8000=16800
Blair Moorhead: 10600+6802=17402 ( New champ)
Jack Paleczny: 17400-4000=13400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Vincent Van Gogh (Jack – Zimmerman)

Daily Doubles
Joe: 4400-1000
Jack: 4600+2000
Jack: 13400+2000

Coryats
Joe: 9800
Blair: 10600
Jack: 17000

Combined: 37,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm not even bothering to play along anymore. You all know I'm not learning jack squat, and I never get FJ! right anyway.

I will say I didn't recognize a single thing in the Thriller category, while I would've been 4/5 in This Song Is About You (all but Julian Lennon).

The Words of Peace category seemed very loosely pinned other than Firefly = Serenity, so I'm surprised there weren't any TSes or negs.

Also, never heard of anything in that Brazlian Food category. How the hell did anyone know ANY of those?!

How did we run out of time in the J! round anyway? We seemed to be hauling ass, there were barely any TSes, and I'm 99% sure he never gave the LTAM.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

The DJ DDs sucked, FJ was instaget, and the champ's awful wager (which bailed out Blair's awful wager) speaks for itself. Whatever. It's been a long day.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Zimmerman? I didn't get where Jack was going with that one. Because up to that point, he was looking like he could ride out the week.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,200
44 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: bilk, The Lincoln Lawyer (DD), churrasco

Red-headed madman + late 1800s + Arles = pretty easy FJ! Surprised it wasn't a triple get.

If you're not familiar with Brazilian cuisine, you really should check it out. Coxinha, feijoada and churrasco are among my favorite things on Earth. Pao de queijo is comparatively meh, but still pretty good.

Speaking of which, will one of you kind, DVR-having souls please post the text of the tapioca clue? I'm 99% sure that my response of farofa is acceptable, but I want to be sure.
Sprinkles are for winners.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

All my FJ precalls were from the civil war, so I jumped on "madman" and thought John Brown, then I saw "France" and switch to the Marquis de Sade, and finally saw red hair and got to Van Gogh with plenty of time.

I said "The Spy who loved Me" for the James Bond clue, so it was jarring when the other Carly Simon song I know "You're So Vain" was a category.

I was waiting for churrasco to come up in the brazilian category, but I never would have buzzed in because i get the word confused with chiaroscuro shading.
artshep
Contributor

Post by artshep »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Speaking of which, will one of you kind, DVR-having souls please post the text of the tapioca clue? I'm 99% sure that my response of farofa is acceptable, but I want to be sure.
Pao de Queijo, or cheese puffs, are a popular accompaniment to meals made from parmesan cheese & this Cassava flour.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

artshep wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Speaking of which, will one of you kind, DVR-having souls please post the text of the tapioca clue? I'm 99% sure that my response of farofa is acceptable, but I want to be sure.
Pao de Queijo, or cheese puffs, are a popular accompaniment to meals made from parmesan cheese & this Cassava flour.
Thank you. Yeah, farofa is definitely fine there.
Sprinkles are for winners.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

There you go again Boardies, dissing the new champ. Come on already! Blair played well IMHO and she bet on herself, which paid off. Smart, pretty young lady. Good game guys!

43R for goats, LT: NHO St Barts, America First Committee or "Chuhasco"? So, n/a. Fun boards! Grats to the new champ; if she's reading this page, we're rooting for you, go girl! :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ouch. Poor Jack. If he'd gotten that last clue, he'd have had a runaway. Congrats to Clair. [EDIT: I mean Blair, of course. Maybe it was that Silence of the Lambs clue that put the wrong name in my head.]

So a skit is, by definition, comical?

1947 may have been the first time an aircraft created a sonic boom. But it was hardly the first time one was ever created. Humans have been creating small sonic booms since ancient times. Ask any archaeologist.

I knew consumption was what they were looking for, but I also thought of wasting disease. I'm not sure that reversal was warranted. Weren't other things referred to as wasting diseases as well?

'Bout time they had a ruttin' Firefly clue. First one ever.

Are the clues getting longer? Maybe that's why the boards aren't getting finished as often. A lot of clues boil down to something simple like, where's CenturyLink Field, but they take a while to read.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

goatman wrote:There you go again Boardies, dissing the new champ. Come on already! Blair played well IMHO and she bet on herself, which paid off.
Not sure what you mean. It was a crush; she wasn't "betting on herself", she HAD to bet big and get it right in order to win. The problem is, she was so focused on Jack's score, she didn't cover Joe...but Joe threw away the gift-wrapped win by leaving behind a useless $800.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

All in all this was a pretty fun game. All three played well at times.

I thought Blair's reaction to the win was so excellent :)
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

OSXpert wrote: I said "The Spy who loved Me" for the James Bond clue, so it was jarring when the other Carly Simon song I know "You're So Vain" was a category.
I'm commanded by the music trivia nerd in my to say that Carly Simon does not have a song called 'The Spy Who Loved Me'. It's called 'Nobody Does It Better', and I get sick satisfaction when people continually miss that title at my local music trivia nights :P
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

mungar wrote:
OSXpert wrote: I said "The Spy who loved Me" for the James Bond clue, so it was jarring when the other Carly Simon song I know "You're So Vain" was a category.
I'm commanded by the music trivia nerd in my to say that Carly Simon does not have a song called 'The Spy Who Loved Me'. It's called 'Nobody Does It Better', and I get sick satisfaction when people continually miss that title at my local music trivia nights :P
I know - I didn't explicitly call it that, just implicitly.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote:
goatman wrote:There you go again Boardies, dissing the new champ. Come on already! Blair played well IMHO and she bet on herself, which paid off.
Not sure what you mean. It was a crush; she wasn't "betting on herself", she HAD to bet big and get it right in order to win. The problem is, she was so focused on Jack's score, she didn't cover Joe...but Joe threw away the gift-wrapped win by leaving behind a useless $800.
It looked to me like she was counting on Joe to bet 8,601, so she thought she was making a savvy wager by putting herself $1 above that total. She would have looked pretty foolish if Joe had outfoxed her with an 8,605 wager.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Not my best game, not my worst.

NHO Lincoln Lawyer but "town car' got me halfway there. Still, would've only lost $5.

J! is loving the Caribbean lately. I negged on France for the "Antilles". Need to spend some time down there soaking up all the geography.

LT: bilk, but never heard of it used in the context of widows or orphans. Might have stayed clam, then buzzed in after "grift" was negged.

Negged on keloid-->keratin, supersonic flight (would it have been acceptable?), TNT (invented in 1863, oopsie). "G" cities didn't come easy tonight.

Pleased to get Greeley and Portugal (Madeira) from recent studying.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote:'Bout time they had a ruttin' Firefly clue. First one ever.
Yes, although there is this one about the movie.

#5908, aired 2010-04-28 MOVIE TITLE OBJECTS $2000: "Serenity"

Joe ran a category. Jack ran a category. Blair won the game.

I think it would have to be Jack to explain his Zimmerman guess as I'm not seeing the connection of German Arthur Zimmerman to the clue and 1889 is too early for Bob Dylan.

Van Gogh was the only name on my paper and I assured myself there was no way it could be Monet or Manet after saying nyet to Rasputin when I spotted "madman" in the wording.

Nothing against Blair, but it would have been funny to see Joe win with a wager that took him to 17403 to outsmart Blair by a buck.

Elijah Baley: If Jack had won tonight by getting Van Gogh I would not have been thinking I was seeing a 5x champ who would still be playing next Monday. There was an unevenness and reckless quality to his game that had shorter rather than longer run written on it. And that does not even take into account his two standard 2K DD wagers.

Jack did well with the buzzer and certainly could have strung together some victories. Zimmerman instead of Van Gogh on a gettable FJ! clue is a head scratcher though.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I precalled that American Psycho would appear in the "Bateman" category, but I'm trying to figure out what the remaining clues could have been. Thoughts?