Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OSXpert »

Woppy T wrote:I precalled that American Psycho would appear in the "Bateman" category, but I'm trying to figure out what the remaining clues could have been. Thoughts?
Something on here, no doubt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bateman

The J!6 clue was about the "Rules of Attraction" character.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

For anyone interested -

I see The Lincoln Lawyer will be on TNT tonight at 10:30 - at least on FIOS in my neck of the woods, anyway.

Not really a fan of Mr. McConahay (sp), but there's nothing much on I really want to watch tonight so I may catch a bit of it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OSXpert wrote:
Woppy T wrote:I precalled that American Psycho would appear in the "Bateman" category, but I'm trying to figure out what the remaining clues could have been. Thoughts?
Something on here, no doubt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bateman

The J!6 clue was about the "Rules of Attraction" character.
Previous J! clues:

#5856, aired 2010-02-15 ISLANDS IN THE STREAM $1000: Bateman Island, about 300 miles from the Pacific, was the farthest Lewis & Clark traveled upstream on this river

#6089, aired 2011-02-17 PATENTS $2000: 1975: Donald Bateman's ground proximity warning system designed for use in these

Columbia & airplanes

Danny Bateman, a character in the football film The Replacements

Yes, wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bateman#People
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: How did we run out of time in the J! round anyway? We seemed to be hauling ass, there were barely any TSes, and I'm 99% sure he never gave the LTAM.
Alex gave the LTAM when Joe was making his DD wager at clue 25. That 1% gets you again. That's why you don't like to guess. :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: How did we run out of time in the J! round anyway? We seemed to be hauling ass, there were barely any TSes, and I'm 99% sure he never gave the LTAM.
Alex gave the LTAM when Joe was making his DD wager at clue 25. That 1% gets you again. That's why you don't like to guess. :)
That still doesn't answer how we managed to run out of time. How many TSes were there in the J! round anyway? I recall very few. There were no video clues to eat up time either.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I immediately thought of Van Gogh, since I knew he was a famous and troubled redhead and must have still been alive in the late 1800s, since I remember seeing a video where Jeanne Calment, the verified oldest woman to have lived (died at 122 in 1997), recalled meeting Van Gogh when she was a child. The "home in France" made me question my guess however, since I knew he was Dutch and didn't know he lived at France in one point, but thankfully I went along with him anyway.

Of the DDs, I only got Giza correct. Lucky guess.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

One of my favorite songs, "Spinning Away" by Brian Eno and John Cale, makes reference to Starry Night:

Spinning away
Like the night sky at Arles

https://open.spotify.com/track/1zCrjmplbeiO1k1KCs0E1f

Those wagers... woof
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: 1947 may have been the first time an aircraft created a sonic boom. But it was hardly the first time one was ever created. Humans have been creating small sonic booms since ancient times. Ask any archaeologist.
Ideally an archaeologist wearing a fedora.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
JohnnySacks
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by JohnnySacks »

I was certain something relating to the Brazilian steakhouse would appear as a $400 or $800 question. I was surprised to see that it was a 2000 dollar question but I think in terms of difficulty it was right.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, never heard of anything in that Brazlian Food category. How the hell did anyone know ANY of those?!
Were you too busy trying to etymologize "feijoada" to notice "these black legumes"? (Or possibly "black these legumes," given the way some clues have been written lately.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, never heard of anything in that Brazlian Food category. How the hell did anyone know ANY of those?!
Were you too busy trying to etymologize "feijoada" to notice "these black legumes"? (Or possibly "black these legumes," given the way some clues have been written lately.)
More like I saw, "Traditionally cooked in a clay pot, [word I don't recognize at all] blah blah blah" and tuned out the rest because I figured no way in hell would I ever know it. Because AS USUAL, I always tune out the one word that's actually supposed to give it to you.

Had I noticed "black legumes" though, I definitely would've negged with black eyed peas.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote:Zimmerman? I didn't get where Jack was going with that one.
My only guess is he was thinking of the Zimmermann Telegram, although it seems like a stretch.

The new champ is a Llama, by the way: http://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7665
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I had suspected there was something off about Zimmerman, but I put it down to his hair.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

H.H. recently, and G cities this week? If Centenarians comes up soon..... :o
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

JayK33 wrote:I immediately thought of Van Gogh, since I knew he was a famous and troubled redhead and must have still been alive in the late 1800s, since I remember seeing a video where Jeanne Calment, the verified oldest woman to have lived (died at 122 in 1997), recalled meeting Van Gogh when she was a child. The "home in France" made me question my guess however, since I knew he was Dutch and didn't know he lived at France in one point, but thankfully I went along with him anyway.

Of the DDs, I only got Giza correct. Lucky guess.
I just realized I contradicted myself here. Of course, I knew Calment was French.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

jwatcher16 wrote:For anyone interested -

I see The Lincoln Lawyer will be on TNT tonight at 10:30 - at least on FIOS in my neck of the woods, anyway.

Not really a fan of Mr. McConahay (sp), but there's nothing much on I really want to watch tonight so I may catch a bit of it.
Matthew McConaughey was also the subject/special guest of tonight's premiere episode of The Big Fan, where one of the items he gave his superfan was a framed set of The Lincoln Lawyer wardrobe pieces.
Sprinkles are for winners.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

JohnnySacks wrote:I was certain something relating to the Brazilian steakhouse would appear as a $400 or $800 question. I was surprised to see that it was a 2000 dollar question but I think in terms of difficulty it was right.
Brazil's one of the few international destinations I've visited, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the last DJ category. I was likewise surprised that churrasco was a $2K clue, with Fogo de Chão reaching prominence (and with competitors starting to pop up). Couldn't believe when Jack rang in on that clue, though--he was clearly venturing out on a limb with a comfortable, but not lock-size, lead.

The more I think about it, the more confused I am about Jack's play: he ran the "G" Cities category faster than anyone I've seen in a (short) while, but only bet $2K on the DD and came up with "Zimmerman" in FJ. Admittedly, tonight's FJ wasn't an instaget for me: I initially thought of Marx, having watched last Friday's episode earlier today, but then these popped into my head and I was home free.
Last edited by theamazingchong on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vermonter wrote:One of my favorite songs, "Spinning Away" by Brian Eno and John Cale, makes reference to Starry Night:

Spinning away
Like the night sky at Arles

https://open.spotify.com/track/1zCrjmplbeiO1k1KCs0E1f
I'll say that Paris 1919 is one of my favorite albums. I've been looking for sheet music for all the songs. Would love to be able to play them (as far as I can tell, only Child's Christmas in Wales is available, though).

Your link required signing up for Spotify. Here it is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-INeMspNSQ0
MarkBarrett wrote:
Previous J! clues:

#6089, aired 2011-02-17 PATENTS $2000: 1975: Donald Bateman's ground proximity warning system designed for use in these
One of my favorite abbreviations is CFIT (pronounced see-fit), which stands for Controlled Flight Into Terrain. In other words, the pilot made some sort of mistake (like being distracted or inattentive) that led them to fly into the ground, a mountain, water, or some other object. These accidents were surprisingly common, and the development of ground proximity warning systems have reduced these types of accidents significantly, saving lots of lives.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
goatman wrote:There you go again Boardies, dissing the new champ. Come on already! Blair played well IMHO and she bet on herself, which paid off.
Not sure what you mean. It was a crush; she wasn't "betting on herself", she HAD to bet big and get it right in order to win. The problem is, she was so focused on Jack's score, she didn't cover Joe...but Joe threw away the gift-wrapped win by leaving behind a useless $800.
It looked to me like she was counting on Joe to bet 8,601, so she thought she was making a savvy wager by putting herself $1 above that total. She would have looked pretty foolish if Joe had outfoxed her with an 8,605 wager.
You can look foolish even when you win.

Joe's ONLY rational wager is to bet it all. There is absolutely NO downside for Blair to wager $7,001 and keep Joe locked out in case they both get it correct. There is never any point in trying to be cute. If your ONLY or best chance to win is to get it correct, might as well bet it all, or at least enough to not get passed from behind! Nobody knows or remembers about 2nd vs 3rd. Only worry about the $1,000 difference if you are locked out of first or you can do so safely without jeopardizing your win%.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote:One of my favorite abbreviations is CFIT (pronounced see-fit), which stands for Controlled Flight Into Terrain. In other words, the pilot made some sort of mistake (like being distracted or inattentive) that led them to fly into the ground, a mountain, water, or some other object.
Another good one is NARSID: Non-Avalanche Related Snow Immersion Death. The most common cause is probably falling into a tree well while skiing or snowshoeing.