Wednesday, January 4, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

bbird wrote:
davey wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
My favorite get in this game was "Gangsta's Paradise by the Dashboard Light".
I was almost proud about this one. But no...I had it as Gangsta Paradise by the Dashboard Light.... :roll:
I had Gangsta's Paradise by the Dashboard Lights, and felt a similar split second of pride. :oops:
Pride goeth before the neg.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

silverscreentest wrote:Then again, TPH probably couldn't tell Jennifer Lawrence, Margot Robbie, Scarlett Johansson, Amy Adams or Natalie Portman apart from each other.

Of course.
bbird wrote:
davey wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
My favorite get in this game was "Gangsta's Paradise by the Dashboard Light".
I was almost proud about this one. But no...I had it as Gangsta Paradise by the Dashboard Light.... :roll:
I had Gangsta's Paradise by the Dashboard Lights, and felt a similar split second of pride. :oops:
I can't believe I missed that one. But I just had a total mental block on both ends: couldn't match Coolio to any song titles (even though I just edited the "Amish Paradise" Wikipedia article since it didn't credit the songwriters, which required me to also look at the "Gangsta's Paradise" article). Nor could I match the Loaf to anything other than "Bat Out of Hell".
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

kerryoakie wrote:
thenextofken wrote:When Alex announced the change in scoring, he mentioned how the player left out "Baby," but I couldn't remember which clue he was talking about. I wish I would've at least alluded to it.
Looks like you missed the clue and I missed the score correction. It was in the music Before & After category that was something like "Britney Spears' breakout single 'hit me' with Cyndi Lauper's anthem that goes on and on" (definitely paraphrasing here...).

The contestant said "Hit Me One More Time After Time" when it should've been "...Baby One More Time After Time."
I actually got it right when it was called, but that was 7 or 8 clues before and I'd moved on mentally.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Category 13 wrote:"I also had a problem with the writers pinning a Wings song "from 1977", when Maybe I'm Amazed actually originated in 1970. I wouldn't have buzzed in because I had no idea what the first part of the B&A was on that clue, but I was sitting there scratching my head trying to think of a McCartney song from that year.
Please leave the live version retro-releases in the archives from now on.
It wasn't a Wings song in 1970.
Oh, that's right. Same exact song except Denny Laine played guitar on the '1977' version (recorded on tour in 1976). All the more reason to throw the clue out.
Why?
Yeah, seemed like a fine clue to me. Most people are going to be familiar with the 1977 live version that was released as a single. If you know enough that it was also an album track on McCartney's 1970 solo album it seems like you'd also be familiar with the later Wings version.
I've always associated the live version of Maybe I'm Amazed with the Wings over America LP which was released in 1976. Until the clue in this game, I wasn't even aware that the song was released as it's own single. Even if I'd known that, if you asked me what year that single came out, I'd answer 1976.
It turns out that the song was the only Wings single to be released in the 1977 calendar year (no wonder I was scratching my head).
I suspect that the writers felt there was less chance of confusing it with a different song, had they asked for a 1970 Paul McCartney song. This would be on a par with writing a clue around Got to Get You Into My Life and refering to it as a '1976 Beatles song'. A convenient separator from any Beatle song from 1966, just because it happened to be retro released ten years later. They (Jeopardy writers) should just stay away from stuff like that. Before & Afters are tricky enough as it is.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote:I've always associated the live version of Maybe I'm Amazed with the Wings over America LP which was released in 1976. Until the clue in this game, I wasn't even aware that the song was released as it's own single. Even if I'd known that, if you asked me what year that single came out, I'd answer 1976.
It turns out that the song was the only Wings single to be released in the 1977 calendar year (no wonder I was scratching my head).
I suspect that the writers felt there was less chance of confusing it with a different song, had they asked for a 1970 Paul McCartney song. This would be on a par with writing a clue around Got to Get You Into My Life and refering to it as a '1976 Beatles song'. A convenient separator from any Beatle song from 1966, just because it happened to be retro released ten years later. They (Jeopardy writers) should just stay away from stuff like that. Before & Afters are tricky enough as it is.
The clue couldn't have been about the 1970 Paul McCartney song, since the category was TOP 40 BEFORE AND AFTER.

It's nothing like calling "Got to Get You into My Life" a 1976 Beatles song. The 1977 release of "Maybe I'm Amazed" was a different recording.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

trainman wrote:
mcsheffrey wrote:What is "WLT"? I haven't been able to find a definition anywhere. Based on context I think it has something to do with a clue that is valued incorrectly (or surprisingly) low.
No, it's one certain poster's abbreviation for "what led to?" If you'd like to answer any of these questions, you can use The Official TPH Education Thread. Or you can beat your head against a wall.
You say that like these are two different options.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I agree that BEFORE & AFTERS are tricky enough without introducing confusing recording version ambiguities into them to muck with the players' minds. Although I knew they were referring to "Maybe I'm Amazed", my first thought was, "That wasn't a Wings song; Wings wasn't yet an inkling in Macca's mind when he recorded it for his first solo album."

The real question to me is why such an old song climbed so high on the charts.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I worked 100 hours last week, so I just caught up on last week's episodes. How can someone insist that the flag of Ohio is the flag of any other state or that another state's flag is Ohio's flag? We have the only non-rectangular flag.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I worked 100 hours last week, so I just caught up on last week's episodes. How can someone insist that the flag of Ohio is the flag of any other state or that another state's flag is Ohio's flag? We have the only non-rectangular flag.
Not everyone knows that fact, or even which one isn't rectangular. Case in point
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am awaiting his reaction if we ever have a President Xavier and he comes here for a speech.