Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

goatman wrote:
Golf wrote:
morbeedo wrote:Anyone else notice that Jack was clearly scowling when he lost the game? I can only imagine how much it sucks to lose on J!, especially when you lead going into FJ, but it's a nationally televised game show people, smile a little.
Who cares if it's a nationally televised show? Why should somebody who just lost when attempting a potentially lifelong ambition put on some phony smile for millions of people he will never meet? Screw that.
Agreed. What phoney baloney... ROFLMAO :x
I will remember this, thought Ender, when I am defeated. To keep dignity, and give honor where it's due, so that defeat is not disgrace. And I hope I don't have to do it often.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

morbeedo wrote:
goatman wrote:
Golf wrote:
morbeedo wrote:Anyone else notice that Jack was clearly scowling when he lost the game? I can only imagine how much it sucks to lose on J!, especially when you lead going into FJ, but it's a nationally televised game show people, smile a little.
Who cares if it's a nationally televised show? Why should somebody who just lost when attempting a potentially lifelong ambition put on some phony smile for millions of people he will never meet? Screw that.
Agreed. What phoney baloney... ROFLMAO :x
I will remember this, thought Ender, when I am defeated. To keep dignity, and give honor where it's due, so that defeat is not disgrace. And I hope I don't have to do it often.
OKay. Now I'm just gonna rant. You criticized a nationally televised game show contestant on our Board. When YOU study for ten years and take the test nine times and finally get to be one of those happy few and and get up under the hot lights and then miss by half an inch, don't be surprised if you're not wearing a stupid happy grin about it. And don't be surprised if someone on this page criticizes you. Nothing burns me up more than ragging on the peeps. And don't quote us patronizing snippets from your fav pop film neither. Nuff said. Go stare at a goat. L8r. :x
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

danspartan wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
goatman wrote:There you go again Boardies, dissing the new champ. Come on already! Blair played well IMHO and she bet on herself, which paid off.
Not sure what you mean. It was a crush; she wasn't "betting on herself", she HAD to bet big and get it right in order to win. The problem is, she was so focused on Jack's score, she didn't cover Joe...but Joe threw away the gift-wrapped win by leaving behind a useless $800.
It looked to me like she was counting on Joe to bet 8,601, so she thought she was making a savvy wager by putting herself $1 above that total. She would have looked pretty foolish if Joe had outfoxed her with an 8,605 wager.
You can look foolish even when you win.

Joe's ONLY rational wager is to bet it all. There is absolutely NO downside for Blair to wager $7,001 and keep Joe locked out in case they both get it correct. There is never any point in trying to be cute. If your ONLY or best chance to win is to get it correct, might as well bet it all, or at least enough to not get passed from behind! Nobody knows or remembers about 2nd vs 3rd. Only worry about the $1,000 difference if you are locked out of first or you can do so safely without jeopardizing your win%.
My suggestion of Joe making the 'cute' (your words) wager of 8,605 was only in jest of Blair's apparent prediction of him only wagering enough to cover a zero wager by Jack.
If Joe had taken the same 'mind reading seeds' that Blair did, he would be thinking in the same terms as her and not bothered to go any further than besting her by a measily couple bucks.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

goatman wrote:OKay. Now I'm just gonna rant. You criticized a nationally televised game show contestant on our Board. When YOU study for ten years and take the test nine times and finally get to be one of those happy few and and get up under the hot lights and then miss by half an inch, don't be surprised if you're not wearing a stupid happy grin about it. And don't be surprised if someone on this page criticizes you. Nothing burns me up more than ragging on the peeps. And don't quote us patronizing snippets from your fav pop film neither. Nuff said. Go stare at a goat. L8r. :x
Ok, Goofus, I guess you told Gallant.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

goatman wrote:Okay. Now I'm just gonna rant. You criticized a nationally televised game show contestant on our Board. When YOU study for ten years and take the test nine times and finally get to be one of those happy few and and get up under the hot lights and then miss by half an inch, don't be surprised if you're not wearing a stupid happy grin about it. And don't be surprised if someone on this page criticizes you. Nothing burns me up more than ragging on the peeps. And don't quote us patronizing snippets from your fav pop film neither. Nuff said. Go stare at a goat. L8r. :x
OK goatman, you can attack me if it makes you feel better, but I really wasn't ragging on the guy and my comment wasn't meant to be disparaging. I thought the guy played the game really well but he missed Final and so he lost. Jeopardy is a cruel game, you only get one shot, I GET IT. I just made an observation that the guy looked particularly sullen at the end, especially compared to Blair who was over the moon and couldn't believe she won. I felt the same way about Dante last week (who also dominated and lost) and the notorious Arthur Chu who slammed his fist down on the podium, lectern, WHATEVER when he lost on his 12th game. I'm allowed to have an opinion and express it in this open forum. I've been around here long enough to see what trashing a contestant looks like, and that's not what I was doing.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

rpg wrote:The America First Committee appeared in the UToC finals and was a triple stumper between Jennings, Vered, and Rutter. Tough clue! http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=329
It's been in the news more recently, what with Trump using the phrase with his typical sensitivity to history...
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm surprised that no one has posted this link already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvw7gKUQXU
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Category 13 wrote:
danspartan wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
goatman wrote:There you go again Boardies, dissing the new champ. Come on already! Blair played well IMHO and she bet on herself, which paid off.
Not sure what you mean. It was a crush; she wasn't "betting on herself", she HAD to bet big and get it right in order to win. The problem is, she was so focused on Jack's score, she didn't cover Joe...but Joe threw away the gift-wrapped win by leaving behind a useless $800.
It looked to me like she was counting on Joe to bet 8,601, so she thought she was making a savvy wager by putting herself $1 above that total. She would have looked pretty foolish if Joe had outfoxed her with an 8,605 wager.
You can look foolish even when you win.

Joe's ONLY rational wager is to bet it all. There is absolutely NO downside for Blair to wager $7,001 and keep Joe locked out in case they both get it correct. There is never any point in trying to be cute. If your ONLY or best chance to win is to get it correct, might as well bet it all, or at least enough to not get passed from behind! Nobody knows or remembers about 2nd vs 3rd. Only worry about the $1,000 difference if you are locked out of first or you can do so safely without jeopardizing your win%.
My suggestion of Joe making the 'cute' (your words) wager of 8,605 was only in jest of Blair's apparent prediction of him only wagering enough to cover a zero wager by Jack.
If Joe had taken the same 'mind reading seeds' that Blair did, he would be thinking in the same terms as her and not bothered to go any further than besting her by a measily couple bucks.
Once again, the internet needs a sarcasm font (to my Brit friends, thank you providing the sarcasm accent). Bad bets get me in a lather. Apologies.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went back and watched the end and he didn't look that upset. He did have a frown on his face but I can't blame him for that. It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.

He looked fine in the credit roll chat.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote:I went back and watched the end and he didn't look that upset. He did have a frown on his face but I can't blame him for that. It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up. I'll go back to commenting only on answers and questions on this Board. Apologies for the offending post.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

morbeedo wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I went back and watched the end and he didn't look that upset. He did have a frown on his face but I can't blame him for that. It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up. I'll go back to commenting only on answers and questions on this Board. Apologies for the offending post.
For the record, I was not offended by your post or trying to be argumentative. I was just saying how he appeared to me.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote:
morbeedo wrote:

For the record, I was not offended by your post or trying to be argumentative. I was just saying how he appeared to me.
Cool, I didn't think you were either. I'm just amazed that one comment blew up the way it did, but I've learned my lesson.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Bamaman wrote:It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.
:lol:
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:Zimmerman? I didn't get where Jack was going with that one.
My only guess is he was thinking of the Zimmermann Telegram, although it seems like a stretch.

The new champ is a Llama, by the way: http://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7665
She's 0-3 on math questions. Just sayin'...
Kenny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Kenny »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It isn't like he was dropping f-bombs and slamming his hand on the thing he was standing behind.
What is podium?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Kenny wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
What is podium?
Turn back now. You have no idea what you're getting yourself into.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:Zimmerman? I didn't get where Jack was going with that one.
My only guess is he was thinking of the Zimmermann Telegram, although it seems like a stretch.

The new champ is a Llama, by the way: http://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7665
She's 0-3 on math questions. Just sayin'...
She's TPH?!?