Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Kenny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Kenny »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Kenny wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:This FJ! clue could've used a TOM or ten. No way in hell are you getting it unless you know the Beatles discography forward and backward.
I guess we'll have to wait for the poll, but I doubt this FJ will prove to be that difficult. Ringo didn't sing that many memorable Beatles songs and his voice is pretty distinctive.
But the clue didn't ask for "memorable Beatles songs." It asked for singles that went to #2 on U.S. Billboard chart. That's far more arcane. Agree with TPH that this FJ was YEKIOYD.
And you don't think these are typically one and the same? I guess in the Beatles case many album tracks are also very recognizable, but not many of the them feature Ringo on vocals.

I guess we'll see. I am a Beatles fan so it's hard for me to know how difficult this would be for someone who is not. It's clear you needed a decent level of Beatles knowledge to get this without it being a shot in the dark.
I'm also a Beatles fan, but not authority. To know which tracks feature John, Paul, George or Ringo, and which of those were hit singles in the U.S., requires much more than a "decent level" of Beatles knowledge.
Last edited by Kenny on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Anyone have an idea (paging cheezguyty...) of the longest correct FJ! response of the last few seasons? It seems like some responses (A Connecticut Yankee... the other night, "With A Little Help..." tonight, etc.) can be eliminated on the basis that TPTB doesn't expect a contestant to write that much with a light pen in 30 seconds.
03/08/2012 - Les Miserables & The Phantom of the Opera
03/16/2012 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind
10/16/2014 - Journey to the Center of the Earth
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Kenny wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:This FJ! clue could've used a TOM or ten. No way in hell are you getting it unless you know the Beatles discography forward and backward.
I guess we'll have to wait for the poll, but I doubt this FJ will prove to be that difficult. Ringo didn't sing that many memorable Beatles songs and his voice is pretty distinctive.
But the clue didn't ask for "memorable Beatles songs." It asked for singles that went to #2 on U.S. Billboard chart. That's far more arcane. Agree with TPH that this FJ was YEKIOYD.
And you don't think these are typically one and the same? I guess in the Beatles case many album tracks are also very recognizable, but not many of the them feature Ringo on vocals.

I guess we'll see. I am a Beatles fan so it's hard for me to know how difficult this would be for someone who is not. It's clear you needed a decent level of Beatles knowledge to get this without it being a shot in the dark.
I'm also a Beatles fan, but not authority. To know which tracks feature John, Paul, George or Ringo requires much more than a "decent level" of Beatles knowledge.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Kenny wrote:Agree with TPH that this FJ was YEKIOYD.
Seriously? After reading all the testimony from boardies saying they didn't know it but they figured Yellow Submarine was the best guess? Any boardie want to come forward and say they actually knew this one? I'll accept that this was a You Either Know Enough to Make an Intelligent Guess Or You Don't kind of clue.

Like others, I started with With a Little Help from My Friends. I was happy with that, but I forced myself to keep thinking of other Ringo songs. I rejected Octopus's Garden, Act Naturally, and Don't Pass Me By. Then I thought of Yellow Submarine. After a bit of waffling, I decided that was a better guess.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

I'm not a Beatles fan, but I own the 1 album; nevertheless, I couldn't tell you which songs Ringo sang.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Anyone have an idea (paging cheezguyty...) of the longest correct FJ! response of the last few seasons? It seems like some responses (A Connecticut Yankee... the other night, "With A Little Help..." tonight, etc.) can be eliminated on the basis that TPTB doesn't expect a contestant to write that much with a light pen in 30 seconds.
Ken Jennings's FJ response in the second Watson game comes to mind. (Hey, it was ruled correct, wasn't it?)

Not the last few seasons, but this game's FJ required a 30-letter response (not even counting the words to make it a complete question). The next longest one I can think of is All Quiet on the Western Front (which, unfortunately, one contestant made a letter longer).

edit: one of those things where I respond without realizing there's another page. Good work, cheezguyty! Presumably they'd allow for the popular abbreviation of the first title in the longest response cited.
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I didn't realize it was such a little known fact that Ringo sang Yellow Submarine. I figured a few people would get it just because that's the only song they know for sure was sung by Ringo. But so far we're only hearing from people who either a) have a fairly deep knowledge of the Beatles' catalog and who sang what, or b) had no real shot at this FJ.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

seaborgium wrote:
Ken Jennings's FJ response in the second Watson game comes to mind. (Hey, it was ruled correct, wasn't it?)

Not the last few seasons, but this game's FJ required a 30-letter response (not even counting the words to make it a complete question). The next longest one I can think of is All Quiet on the Western Front (which, unfortunately, one contestant made a letter longer).
Four episodes prior to that Watson game was "you have the right to remain silent" (29 letters).

They have asked for A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court before, though they accepted just "a Connecticut Yankee".

ETA: Similarly, this FJ asked for both the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and the (Great) Pyramid(s) of Giza/Egypt, but they took MDaunt's "Pyramids & Hanging Gardens".
earendel

Post by earendel »

I jokingly precalled "Yellow Submarine" and was shocked when the clue was revealed.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
StevenH wrote:I got FJ, but I'm a pretty big Beatles fan (I also considered "Back in the USSR" and "Octopus's Garden.")
Wait, where does Ringo sing in "Back in the USSR?" In fact I don't think he contributed to that track at all (not even on drums). Maybe that's what made you think of Ringo for that song?
Huh, for some reason I thought that he did provide the lead vocals on that song. My mistake.
BobF

Post by BobF »

StevenH wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
StevenH wrote:I got FJ, but I'm a pretty big Beatles fan (I also considered "Back in the USSR" and "Octopus's Garden.")
Wait, where does Ringo sing in "Back in the USSR?" In fact I don't think he contributed to that track at all (not even on drums). Maybe that's what made you think of Ringo for that song?
Huh, for some reason I thought that he did provide the lead vocals on that song. My mistake.
That song is Paul's and all Paul's. He does it in his concerts.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

a1srvng wrote:"Another successful "I'm going to wager to lose!" plan. Was there any reasonable scenario where Blair could win with that wager?"

Face it , man. It's a chick thing. I don't get it, and I don't understand it. It is embarrassing how often this happens. Maybe they should have gender specific "Jeopardy", one for the boys and one for the girls. There are plenty of great female poker players in Vegas and everywhere. I don't get it.

Don't they get that SECOND doesn't let you keep the cash?

Makes about as much sense as "Kiddie Jeopardy".
Rather than delete the post as has been requested, I'll just leave it here so people can see the crass sexism for what it is.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wavered between Yellow Submarine and With a Little Help but stuck with Yellow Submarine. I agree with Opus; you can have enough knowledge to figure it out (like I did), but there's no way to have 'known' this one beforehand.

The full list of Ringo songs as far as I could find (and the two I mentioned really stick out as the only possibilities):

1. Boys –the song was written by Dixon/Ferrell and was included in the album Please, Please Me (1963)
2. I Wanna Be Your Man – written by John Lennon from the album With The Beatles (1963)
3. Matchbox – a good pick up song composed by Carl Perkins that was added in the album Long Tall Sally (1964)
4. Honey Don’t – another Carl Perkin composition from the album Beatles For Sale (1964)
5. Act Naturally – a Morrison/Russel collaboration included in the album Help! (1964)
6. What Goes On – Lennon/McCartney song from the album Rubber Soul (1965)
7. Yellow Submarine – a Paul McCartney original featured in two albums; Revolver (1966) and Yellow Submarine (1969)
8. With a Little Help From My Friends – another Paul McCartney classic composition included in the album Sgt. Pepper’ Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
9. Don’t Pass Me By – Ringo Starr original song from the album The Beatles (1968)
10. Good Night – a John Lennon original from the album The Beatles (1968)
11. Octopus Garden – Ringo Starr other original composition from the album Abbey Road (1969)
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Beatles songs? Double yikes. Oh, Ringo sang lead on some of them? That's nice. Which one hit #2? You must be joking.
lol..low five! This is one of those categories I would have wagered 0.
C'mon get over Beatles, LotF, Nebraska etc. J Writers!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
BobF

Post by BobF »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Beatles songs? Double yikes. Oh, Ringo sang lead on some of them? That's nice. Which one hit #2? You must be joking.
I'm a huge Beatles fan and this was an instaget. But I do agree that the #2 thing is a bit too obscure making this only gettable (without guesswork) for fans like me. I think they could have added "in 1966" to it to make it about as obtainable as the typical FJ clue. Although many people associate YS with 1969 when the movie came out, which might have confused people.
Last edited by BobF on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kenny wrote:I'm also a Beatles fan, but not authority. To know which tracks feature John, Paul, George or Ringo requires much more than a "decent level" of Beatles knowledge.
I just feel like the songs Ringo sings lead on stick out like a sore thumb. If you asked me if Paul or John sang a certain song I'd probably have to think about it for a few seconds in many cases, but Ringo's contributions are 1. rarer, and 2. fairly distinctive due to his voice.
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

opusthepenguin wrote:I didn't realize it was such a little known fact that Ringo sang Yellow Submarine. I figured a few people would get it just because that's the only song they know for sure was sung by Ringo. But so far we're only hearing from people who either a) have a fairly deep knowledge of the Beatles' catalog and who sang what, or b) had no real shot at this FJ.
As Kirk mentions, Ringo has a distinctive voice. As MDaunt implies, you better learn your Beatles. Each voice is recognizable with a little training--Pandora Beatles. I'm a fan, but no fanboy.

For me it was an slightly-more-than educated guess after cycling through the few songs I knew Ringo sang. Go elegant--choose the most recognizable title.

Anyone remember the comedian from a long time ago (at least early '90s, but possibly '80s) who had that bit on the Beatles saying "they were so high on drugs at one point they said 'hey, let's let Ringo sing one'"?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

alietr wrote:I wavered between Yellow Submarine and With a Little Help but stuck with Yellow Submarine. I agree with Opus; you can have enough knowledge to figure it out (like I did), but there's no way to have 'known' this one beforehand.

The full list of Ringo songs as far as I could find (and the two I mentioned really stick out as the only possibilities):

1. Boys –the song was written by Dixon/Ferrell and was included in the album Please, Please Me (1963)
2. I Wanna Be Your Man – written by John Lennon from the album With The Beatles (1963)
3. Matchbox – a good pick up song composed by Carl Perkins that was added in the album Long Tall Sally (1964)
4. Honey Don’t – another Carl Perkin composition from the album Beatles For Sale (1964)
5. Act Naturally – a Morrison/Russel collaboration included in the album Help! (1964)
6. What Goes On – Lennon/McCartney song from the album Rubber Soul (1965)
7. Yellow Submarine – a Paul McCartney original featured in two albums; Revolver (1966) and Yellow Submarine (1969)
8. With a Little Help From My Friends – another Paul McCartney classic composition included in the album Sgt. Pepper’ Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
9. Don’t Pass Me By – Ringo Starr original song from the album The Beatles (1968)
10. Good Night – a John Lennon original from the album The Beatles (1968)
11. Octopus Garden – Ringo Starr other original composition from the album Abbey Road (1969)
I am probably one of the biggest Beatles fans on this board (I finished third in BobF's Beatles TD a few years ago, which was basically naming as many Beatles songs as you could), I knew that there were no singles released from Sgt. Pepper, and I still said With a Little Help from my Friends for some reason. I also missed the last Beatles FJ, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da a few years back. And if I ever get on the show and the FJ category is "Beatles Songs," I'll still be tempted to Clavin it. Dummy.

Even worse, this is sitting right next to my TV because my son got it for Christmas:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If you've never seen it, the Lorne Michaels reunion offer was (IMHO) one of the show's funniest bits ever, especially given the current topic of Ringo. Scroll down to "The Check":

http://uproxx.com/tv/lorne-michaels-snl-appearances/
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

I immediately shouted out "Yellow Submarine" and was certain I was correct. :D Mostly because I couldn't think of any other songs Ringo sang in those few seconds.
Hubby said Ringo sang on several other Beatles songs but even he could only come up with the Octopus Garden song and one I never heard of called Matchbox. And choosing between those three was easy.
If we had also remembered Ringo sang "A Little Help From My Friends", during the think music, the choice would have been a lot more difficult and I would have been hard-pressed to choose between that and the correct answer.

I am glad the new champ won even though a correct wager from second would have defeated him; he was the best player and deserved to win.