Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:Not a prayer. I have only the slightest clue of which Beatle sang which song. I couldn't tell you either of the ones Ringo sang.
Same here. I knew it wasn't Hey Jude since it came up yesterday and I think it was Paul.

I guess the cluewriters expected a different outcome last night with the rolltide.com clue. (sigh).

Not a good wager.
Add me to the list (I expect it will be a long one) of people who have absolutely no clue about that detailed, specific f clue about the Beatles song. I only guessed (pick a Beatles song, any Beatles song) because, as they always say, any answer is better than no answer. I wonder if Blair really knew that or just guessed.

Meanwhile, 45 right, LT on Baden-Baden, electromagnetic pulse, spacewalker (not one word, but....) and Kansas, plus ran the category in Opera Cities.

Congrats to the new champ.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I thought it was mildly interesting that in light of last week's FJ issue about "Classic Movie Roles," Alex specifically mentioned "characters" as synonymous with "roles" in describing the category.

Which kind of answered the question I had about whether the writers recognize any distinction - they don't.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty wrote:They have asked for A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court before, though they accepted just "a Connecticut Yankee".
That clue was just asking for a title character, though, presumably to avoid forcing contestants to write the whole thing. (Other FJs concerning the work quoted it or described part of the plot, asking for the author.) The one contestant who tried to render the full title abbreviated Connecticut to CT and King Arthur to K.A.; I bet that they would have accepted that as the title in 1990, but that the latter abbreviation would make it unacceptable nowadays.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote:The full list of Ringo songs as far as I could find (and the two I mentioned really stick out as the only possibilities):

1. Boys –the song was written by Dixon/Ferrell and was included in the album Please, Please Me (1963)
2. I Wanna Be Your Man – written by John Lennon from the album With The Beatles (1963)
3. Matchbox – a good pick up song composed by Carl Perkins that was added in the album Long Tall Sally (1964)
4. Honey Don’t – another Carl Perkin composition from the album Beatles For Sale (1964)
5. Act Naturally – a Morrison/Russel collaboration included in the album Help! (1964)
6. What Goes On – Lennon/McCartney song from the album Rubber Soul (1965)
7. Yellow Submarine – a Paul McCartney original featured in two albums; Revolver (1966) and Yellow Submarine (1969)
8. With a Little Help From My Friends – another Paul McCartney classic composition included in the album Sgt. Pepper’ Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
9. Don’t Pass Me By – Ringo Starr original song from the album The Beatles (1968)
10. Good Night – a John Lennon original from the album The Beatles (1968)
11. Octopus Garden – Ringo Starr other original composition from the album Abbey Road (1969)
There's also "If You've Got Trouble," which sucked and only got released in 1996 in the Anthology days.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I wonder if this is how my guests feel when I show them my extensive collection of imported cast-iron trivets from selected free-trade sources in Ghana and Azerbaijan.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

You should always put down something for FJ, even if you think it's just a joke answer. That's what I did and it turned out to be correct. Although I couldn't tell you who sang most Beatles songs, "Yellow Submarine" sounded different.
Also, I think this was the first time I had back-to-back episodes with 40+ correct. Then again, the contestants had 50+ correct in back-to-back episodes, so maybe it is getting easier.
Hoping for a third lap
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I didn't think FJ! was that bad. Not super easy or anything, but it seemed fair. I'm not really a Beatles expert, but I know that Ringo was the lead for relatively few songs, so I picked a popular song that sounded "different" enough that he may have been the lead singer, and I chose the right one. Hardly an instaget, and I definitely wasn't confident in my answer, but it was still something I was able to suss out.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:All but "roll in the hay" in "roll". That seemed by far the most generational clue.

Surprisingly, I ran the Under the Sea category by somehow knowing "Barnacle Boy". Also ran the Horoscope category.

Didn't recognize either name in Role Call for $400. Or $1,200. Or $1,600. Or $2,000.

Any way that I can remember that Saturn is the one with rings? I always merge Saturn-Uranus-Neptune in my head and can't separate them.

"Spacewalker" is a word? I thought that was tricky for $400. That whole category was completely foreign to me.

This FJ! clue could've used a TOM or ten. No way in hell are you getting it unless you know the Beatles discography forward and backward.
Thought you weren't keeping track any more?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:Thought you weren't keeping track any more?
Old habits die hard.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

sarisson wrote:You should always put down something for FJ, even if you think it's just a joke answer. That's what I did and it turned out to be correct. Although I couldn't tell you who sang most Beatles songs, "Yellow Submarine" sounded different.
Also, I think this was the first time I had back-to-back episodes with 40+ correct. Then again, the contestants had 50+ correct in back-to-back episodes, so maybe it is getting easier.
Always is too concrete. It doesn't happen often, but there are times I'd rather spend all my available time trying to come up with the answer than jot down something just to have something; writing takes precious seconds. Those FJs are usually ones I have, or believe I have, the answer in the recesses of my mind, so it's more a special case than best practices though. This one was not one of those FJs.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

'Tis better to have bet it all and lost, than not to bet enough and been correct.
Le Flaneur
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Kenny wrote:
Category 13 wrote: Capitol Records pimped out whatever album tracks they felt would sell as singles, whether the Beatles had a say in it or not.
Here is partial list of Beatles hit songs that were released only on albums, not also as singles, while they were on Capitol:

Michelle
Norwegian Wood
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
When I'm Sixty Four
With A Little Help From My Friends
Good Day Sunshine
Got To Get You Into My Life
Taxman
Fool On The Hill
Magical Mystery Tour

So no, Capitol did not "pimp out" whatever Beatles songs they felt would sell as singles, regardless of what the band wanted. I'm not sure where you came up with that comment. In fact, Brian Epstein, along with John and Paul, guarded the Beatles' catalog closely.
Meh, I was just spouting off ala John Lennon. Capitol had their greedy tentacles on the Beatles well into the 1970s. They released Got to Get You Into My Life as a single to help promote yet another compilation album, Rock & Roll Music, in 1976. And With a Little Help From My Friends showed up on a Capitol single paired with Sgt Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band in 1978. There are others, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da comes to mind.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Kenny wrote:Brian Epstein, along with John and Paul, guarded the Beatles' catalog closely.
The band famously complained about the lack of control they had over Capitol releases. Capitol's early releases ignored the Beatles' album listings, song orders, album titles, and album cover art, resulting in an American album catalog that looks nothing like the album catalog in the UK.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote:
Kenny wrote:Brian Epstein, along with John and Paul, guarded the Beatles' catalog closely.
The band famously complained about the lack of control they had over Capitol releases. Capitol's early releases ignored the Beatles' album listings, song orders, album titles, and album cover art, resulting in an American album catalog that looks nothing like the album catalog in the UK.
I seem to remember that they were paid by the album in the US and by the song in England (or was it vice versa?), which led to the differences between the releases.
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

opusthepenguin wrote:I didn't realize it was such a little known fact that Ringo sang Yellow Submarine. I figured a few people would get it just because that's the only song they know for sure was sung by Ringo. But so far we're only hearing from people who either a) have a fairly deep knowledge of the Beatles' catalog and who sang what, or b) had no real shot at this FJ.
That was my situation. I knew he sang that one, and wasn't sure about any others.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I remember missing the "Ob-la-Di, Ob-la-Da" FJ! because I was drawing a complete blank on what came after the second "la".
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I remember missing the "Ob-la-Di, Ob-la-Da" FJ! because I was drawing a complete blank on what came after the second "la".
It's OK. Life goes on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I remember missing the "Ob-la-Di, Ob-la-Da" FJ! because I was drawing a complete blank on what came after the second "la".
It's OK. Life goes on.
Can't believe people on here didn't want a Like button.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Robert K S wrote:
It was probably the US getting back at the UK for what the latter had been doing to Elvis Presley's catalogue.

IM(NS)HO, Capitol releases (just like UK (and other countries') releases of Elvis on whatever label(s)) are not integral parts of the catalogue.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Duh.