TD 328 - Inauguration Day - FINAL STANDINGS

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

TD 328 - Inauguration Day - FINAL STANDINGS

Post by totebags »

Welcome to TD 328! I got a little trigger happy so I opened early!

Inauguration Day is coming up on January 20, as it does every four years when we mark the start of a new term for the President of the United States. January 20 is also my birthday--a event that occurs every year last I checked, but a little more spirited when it coincides with the Inauguration. So in honor of Inauguration Day and more importantly, my birthday, here are some questions tangentially related to the ceremony and, again, more importantly, ME.

Note: Try not to read anything political into the above intro or any of my questions. I just like playing up that my birthday somehow is more important than the Inauguration.

THE RULES:

1. The object of this game is to provide the correct answer you think will be the least popular. The lower your total score, the better.

2. Obviously, you may only use the information stored in your own brain. No Googling, asking a friend, asking a stranger, etc.

3. The score for a correct answer is the number of players who give that answer.

4. The score for an incorrect answer is the SHEEP score—that is, the most popular correct answer for that question—plus 5 points.

5. You may DROP one question for a total of 0 points.

6. In addition, you may SHEEP one question to receive the same score as the most popular correct answer.

7. There is one BONUS opportunity at the end of the quiz. No penalty for a wrong guess, so fire away!

8. If there’s a tie for first place, the earliest submission wins.

9. The deadline for entering this game is 9 pm (EST) on Monday, January 16. Enter by sending me a PM or, preferably, completing this Google form: https://goo.gl/forms/njd1fKttOaoRd8wd2

tl;dr -- One DROP, one SHEEP
Last edited by totebags on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 15 times in total.
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 328 - Inauguration Day - NOW OPEN

Post by totebags »

THE QUESTIONS:

General
1. Pursuant to the 20th Amendment to the US Constitution, Inauguration Day was moved from March 4 to January 20. The first year in which Inauguration Day held on January 20 was 1937. Name a person who has administered the Oath of Office to the President on or after January 20, 1937 (whether at a public inauguration ceremony or in private). First name and last name required. 8 possible answers.

2. While he was officially sworn in the day before, Ronald Reagan’s second inauguration ceremony was held on January 21, 1985, as January 20 was a Sunday. Not only did January 20 fall on a Sunday, but it also was the day of Super Bowl XIX and, most importantly, my first birthday. So while my family gathered to see me smash cake into my face, we watched the San Francisco 49ers beat the Miami Dolphins 38 to 16. Since then, the Dolphins have not reached another Super Bowl. Name a team that has lost in the Super Bowl after that season (Super Bowl XX and forward). (City and team name required.) 19 possible answers.

3. On January 20, 1989, George H.W. Bush was sworn into office for what would be his only term. As a four-year-old during the election, I thought that the “race” for the presidency was a physical running race between Bush and Michael Dukakis. Name a country that won more than one medal in athletics (i.e., track and field events, road racing and racewalking) at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. 19 possible answers.

4. To mark my birthday and Bill Clinton’s first inauguration on January 20, 1993, my mother and I baked red, white and blue frosted cupcakes to share with my class. Name another country*, besides the US, that currently has only red, white and blue on its flag. The flag must have all three colors and no other accent colors. At least 18 possible answers. *Must be a U.N. Member State

5. Bill Clinton was sworn in for his second term on January 20, 1997, while I was navigating middle school. In seventh grade, my social studies teacher had our class memorize the members of Bill Clinton’s cabinet. Twenty years later, I can still remember about half of them (Bruce Babbitt, Donna Shalala, Hazel O’Leary…). Excluding the Vice President, name a current cabinet position. Here, with the exception of one very prominent role, I am looking for “Secretary of [Executive Department]”, not a so-called “cabinet-level” position. 15 possible answers.

2001 - TWO PARTER (#6 and 7) (Answers to these questions will be revealed before Jan. 20 so no time traveling)
6. January 20, 2001, marked the first inauguration of George W. Bush, who several weeks prior narrowly defeated his opponent, then-Vice President Al Gore. Gore--inventor of the Internet, lock box proponent, environmental activist and famous Tennessean--was born on March 31, 1948, in Washington, DC, where his father was serving in Congress. Name the birth state of an individual (besides Gore) who has served as vice president in Gore’s lifetime. 11 possible answers.

7. Name the first and last name of a Second Lady of the United States (i.e., the wife of the VP) during Gore’s lifetime. 13 possible answers. [ETA: Well-known nicknames of the Second Lady are acceptable.]

8. Just before Bush’s second inauguration on January 20, 2005, I had arrived back home after spending a semester abroad in the Netherlands. I spent a good amount of time travelling throughout Europe during that semester. Name a currency that is currently used by any member of the European Union. 11 possible answers.

9. Barack Obama’s first inauguration ceremony on January 20, 2009, was said to have had the largest audience of any event ever held in Washington, D.C. Celebrity guests attending the event included Tom Hanks, Samuel L. Jackson, Susan Sarandon, Will Smith, Denzel Washington and Oprah Winfrey. Name a film for which Hanks, Jackson, Sarandon, Smith, Washington or Winfrey received an Oscar nomination for their performance (i.e., acting categories only). 20 possible answers.

10. On January 21, 2013 (Obama’s 2nd inauguration--there’s that Sunday exception again), I was living in New Orleans, Louisiana. As the Louisiana film industry has grown in recent years, many actors have made their home in New Orleans, including Sandra Bullock, Brad Pitt, John Goodman, Nic Cage and Jennifer Coolidge (she was a regular at my favorite taqueria!). Name one of the following people born or raised in (or otherwise associated with) New Orleans. No letter/number required.

LINK TO LARGER PHOTOS

11. And finally, January 20, 2017, will be the 87th birthday of US Air Force fighter pilot, NASA astronaut and 30 Rock cameo-maker, Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin. Besides Buzz, name an Apollo astronaut who has walked on the Moon’s surface. 11 possible answers.

BONUS
Not really related to theme of the TD. For 5 points off of your score, what do the subjects of the pictures below have in common? (Hint: The subjects appear or are referenced somewhere together. “Have not been in my kitchen” is not an acceptable answer.)

LINK TO LARGER PHOTOS

Last edited by totebags on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

CLARIFICATIONS

Question 4 -- Looking for current U.N. member states
Question 7 -- Well-known nicknames for the Second Lady are acceptable
Last edited by totebags on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

PARTICIPANTS (49)
Spoiler
MattKnowles
GuessonGuessonGuess
Gamawire
bev nar
1stlvlthinker

Tamest_Whiff
theamazingchong
Tybalteon
MarkBarrett
Peachbox

quarterrican
macrae1234
immaf
xxaaaxx
ElendilPickle

morbeedo
clprez
arekp01
Vintsanity
BigDaddyMatty

badgerfellow
lindap
colonialrampage
BobF
RichmondJ

BulgarianBeast
AleBelly
Tabby
SBurrus
Kirbstar

Bamaman
Blue Lion
Magna
oduguy22
merica

pauerpoint
Woof
WhatAreDogs
Captain Obvious
dott888

artshep
Goatman
econgator
floridagator
Aunt_Ija

Woppy T
9021amyers
DCrawshawJr
spell4yr
Last edited by totebags on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 13 times in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This TD plays to none of my strengths, but I'm going to enter anyway. A finish anywhere above last place will be a victory!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

totebags wrote: 2001 - TWO PARTER (#6 and 7) (Answers to these questions will be revealed before Jan. 20 so no time traveling)
6. January 20, 2001, marked the first inauguration of George W. Bush, who several weeks prior narrowly defeated his opponent, then-Vice President Al Gore. Gore--inventor of the Internet, lock box proponent, environmental activist and famous Tennessean--was born on March 31, 1948, in Washington, DC, where his father was serving in Congress. Name the birth state of an individual (besides Gore) who has served as vice president in Gore’s lifetime. 11 possible answers.
I don't know where you're coming from, nor do I think this requires any discussion, but would you please remove the highlighted section. I will then delete this post. TY
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

RandyG wrote:
totebags wrote: 2001 - TWO PARTER (#6 and 7) (Answers to these questions will be revealed before Jan. 20 so no time traveling)
I don't know where you're coming from, nor do I think this requires any discussion, but would you please remove the highlighted section. I will then delete this post. TY
Not sure if you're joking. I am not going to remove it. This is one of the hackiest jokes about Al Gore in the past 25 years (see also, jokes about Dan Quayle and "potatoe," jokes about Michael Dukakis and the tank, Gerald Ford falling down). Whether he actually ever claimed to have invented the internet is besides the point (he did not--see Snopes article below), this is an urban legend and was quite a popular trope in late night TV monologues, which is the sort of hacky material I was going for.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Next you'll be telling us he didn't invent the anti-hurricane-and-tornado machine!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Gosh, everyone knows Al invented global warming as part of the alarmist mass hysteria ploy to jack up taxes and redistribute America's wealth into the internet, which is why he invented both! :shock:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

Bump!
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

Weekend bump! Get those entries in! Still have singletons available for every category!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Thanks for building this nice puzzler! Added my 2 centivoes. It's evident that you put considerable effort into it, kudos to yudo! ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

20-20-24 hours to go!
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

Get your entries in for this bonkers TD! Will accept entries until ~7 pm Pacific tonight!
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 328 - Inauguration Day - Q1 REVEALED

Post by totebags »

1. Name a person who has administered the Oath of Office to the President on or after January 20, 1937 (whether at a public inauguration ceremony or in private).

Traditionally, the Oath of Office has been administered by the Chief Justice of the United States, with a few exceptions (some noted below).

Wrong answers – 23 points
HOWARD TAFT (Administered to Coolidge in 1925 and Hoover in 1929)
oduguy22

JOHN COOLIDGE (A notary public who administered to his son Calvin after the death of Warren Harding in 1923)
econgator

LOUIS BRANDEIS
Tamest_Whiff

SAM RAYBURN
MattKnowles

::::::::

Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush Jr.
William Rehnquist — 18 responses — SHEEP!
AleBelly
arekp01
artshep
Aunt_Ija
badgerfellow
BigDaddyMatty
Blue Lion
DCrawshawJr
ElendilPickle
immaf
lindap
merica
morbeedo
pauerpoint
quarterrican
theamazingchong
Vintsanity
WhatAreDogs

Obama
John Roberts — 6 responses
1stlvlthinker
Captain Obvious
Kirbstar
Peachbox
spell4yr
Tabby

Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan
Warren Burger — 6 responses
bev nar
BobF
colonialrampage
SBurrus
Woppy T
xxaaaxx

Eisenhower, JFK, LBJ, Nixon
Earl Warren — 5 responses
BulgarianBeast
clprez
Gamawire
GuessonGuessonGuess
MarkBarrett

LBJ
Sarah Hughes — 5 responses (Only female to administer the Oath of Office)
9021amyers
Bamaman
Goatman
macrae1234
RichmondJ

Truman, Eisenhower
Fred Vinson — 2 responses
floridagator
Magna

DROP
dott888
Tybalteon
Woof

UNUSED
Charles E. Hughes (FDR in 1937 and 1941)
Harlan Stone (FDR and Truman in 1945)
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 328 - Inauguration Day - STANDINGS THRU Q1

Post by totebags »

A painful SHEEP and a more painful score for a wrong answer. Don't worry--we will weather this TD together.

1. dott888 — 0 pts
1. Tybalteon — 0 pts
1. Woof — 0 pts
4. floridagator — 2 pts
4. Magna — 2 pts

6. 9021amyers — 5 pts
6. Bamaman — 5 pts
6. BulgarianBeast — 5 pts
6. clprez — 5 pts
6. Gamawire — 5 pts

6. Goatman — 5 pts
6. GuessonGuessonGuess — 5 pts
6. macrae1234 — 5 pts
6. MarkBarrett — 5 pts
6. RichmondJ — 5 pts

16. 1stlvlthinker — 6 pts
16. bev nar — 6 pts
16. BobF — 6 pts
16. Captain Obvious — 6 pts
16. colonialrampage — 6 pts

16. Kirbstar — 6 pts
16. Peachbox — 6 pts
16. SBurrus — 6 pts
16. spell4yr — 6 pts
16. Tabby — 6 pts

16. Woppy T — 6 pts
16. xxaaaxx — 6 pts
28. AleBelly — 18 pts
28. arekp01 — 18 pts
28. artshep — 18 pts

28. Aunt_Ija — 18 pts
28. badgerfellow — 18 pts
28. BigDaddyMatty — 18 pts
28. Blue Lion — 18 pts
28. DCrawshawJr — 18 pts

28. ElendilPickle — 18 pts
28. immaf — 18 pts
28. lindap — 18 pts
28. merica — 18 pts
28. morbeedo — 18 pts

28. pauerpoint — 18 pts
28. quarterrican — 18 pts
28. theamazingchong — 18 pts
28. Vintsanity — 18 pts
28. WhatAreDogs — 18 pts

46. econgator — 23 pts
46. MattKnowles — 23 pts
46. oduguy22 — 23 pts
46. Tamest_Whiff — 23 pts
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I didn't know the chief justice administered the oath of office. At least I know now, seems pretty obvious in hindsight.

Truman was playing cards with Sam Rayburn at "The Board of Education" when he got the call that FDR was dead and that might have been why I had that association.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

MattKnowles wrote:Truman was playing cards with Sam Rayburn at "The Board of Education" when he got the call that FDR was dead and that might have been why I had that association.
That's a great fact--I'll have to remember it.
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

2. Name a team that has lost in the Super Bowl after 1985 (Super Bowl XX and forward).

Wrong answers – 13 points
BALTIMORE RAVENS (Won Super Bowl XXXV and Super Bowl XLVII)
ElendilPickle

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (Won Super Bowl XXXVII)
Woof

WASHINGTON REDSKINS (Won Super Bowl XXII and Super Bowl XXVI)
Tamest_Whiff

Lost XX, XXXI, XLII, XLVI
New England Patriots — 8 responses — SHEEP!
Blue Lion
dott888
econgator
floridagator
immaf
MattKnowles
spell4yr
Tybalteon

SHEEP
DCrawshawJr
morbeedo

Lost XLI
Chicago Bears — 5 responses
artshep
bev nar
GuessonGuessonGuess
Kirbstar
Tabby

Lost XXXII
Green Bay Packers — 4 responses
badgerfellow
Bamaman
clprez
Magna

Lost XXXV
New York Giants — 4 responses
BobF
WhatAreDogs
Woppy T
xxaaaxx

Lost XXI, XXII, XXIV, XLVIII
Denver Broncos — 3 responses
1stlvlthinker
Gamawire
pauerpoint

Lost XXXVII
Oakland Raiders — 3 responses
9021amyers
BigDaddyMatty
theamazingchong

Lost XXXVI
St. Louis Rams — 3 responses
colonialrampage
RichmondJ
Vintsanity

Lost XLIII
Arizona Cardinals — 2 responses
lindap
macrae1234

Lost XXXIII
Atlanta Falcons — 2 responses
arekp01
oduguy22

Lost XXXVIII, 50
Carolina Panthers — 2 responses
BulgarianBeast
SBurrus

Lost XXIX
San Diego Chargers — 2 responses
merica
quarterrican

Lost XLVII
San Francisco 49ers — 2 responses
Aunt_Ija
Peachbox

Lost XL, XLIX
Seattle Seahawks — 2 responses
Captain Obvious
Goatman

Lost XXXIX
Philadelphia Eagles — Singleton!
MarkBarrett

Lost XXX, XLV
Pittsburgh Steelers — Singleton!
AleBelly

UNUSED
Cincinnati Bengals (XXIII)
Buffalo Bills (XXV, XXVI, XXVII, XXVIII) (You. Guys.)
Tennessee Titans (XXXIV)
Indianapolis Colts (XLIV)