Sploofus thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by boson »

Woof wrote:OK, what is the maximum score on TQOTD? Cheezguyty's 1879 is higher than I thought was possible (my 6.6 sec response only got 1304). And how fast was that response to score so high?
As always Cheezguyty has some magical computer skills. Ask how many J! contestants won with an odd number score? An answer the next time you log in here. Ask any j-archive data mining question and it is as if SQL queries come straight out of Cheezguyty's mouth.

I have no doubt that this score is fairly obtained, however I'm sure there are techniques at work that can maximize your Sploofus score.

Cheezguyty? Would you care to share?

(It is ok if you don't - I'm in 7th place right now! Slow clicks on my phone, but all right so far.)
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

Granted I'm old and play off an ipad most of the time, but absolutely the best my reflexes can get me is somewhere in the higher 1400's on a very good day.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I've had scores in the 1600s more times than I can count on two hands but not more times if I also used my toes. One hand would be enough to count the times I've had the very rare over 1700. 1500s while not common are not a reason to get excited either.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

boson wrote:
Woof wrote:OK, what is the maximum score on TQOTD? Cheezguyty's 1879 is higher than I thought was possible (my 6.6 sec response only got 1304). And how fast was that response to score so high?
As always Cheezguyty has some magical computer skills. Ask how many J! contestants won with an odd number score? An answer the next time you log in here. Ask any j-archive data mining question and it is as if SQL queries come straight out of Cheezguyty's mouth.

I have no doubt that this score is fairly obtained, however I'm sure there are techniques at work that can maximize your Sploofus score.

(It is ok if you don't - I'm in 7th place right now! Slow clicks on my phone, but all right so far.)
As I have said before, my only technique is to scan the question and answers and pick one as quickly as possible. Usually the right answer jumps out at me, and if not then I probably don't know it, and if I have to guess I might as well try to maximize the time bonus in case I guess correctly. Of course, there are times when I miss a key part of the question or accidentally click the wrong answer because I'm going too fast (why do the buttons have to be so small and close together?). I've been fortunate to avoid any such mistakes (or any tough questions) so far this month, but there's still plenty of time for some busts to even out the booms. :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote:

Thanks for mentioning you can do it on your phone boson! As I mentioned earlier, my computer hasn't been working for a month now so I can only do Internet things via phone and didn't think Sploofus would work too well. It's still a little slower as I have to zoom in to read the text but since I'm mainly doing it for the trivia and my scores are still decent, I'm doing it again. Now I'm sad for all the ones I missed!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I've had real problems with this page in the past and figured I'd give it another try but it won't load pages, after completing quizzes I get endless spinning hourglass of doom and then it shows nothing done but won't let me resubmit. Pretty disappointed TBVH.

BTW two obvious cheats are apparent; no way are a dozen ppl really getting 100% @10/10 scores in 42s which means ten instagets, I suppose they have two or more accounts and look at the clues on a dummy account which leads to instant recognition on the 'main'; the other group are ppl that got 100% in 240+ seconds; evidently you're playing Google then, lol! Why do they bother?! :roll:
Last edited by goatman on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Finally got it working, here's what I got on two TQOTD, I think it's simply physically not possible, or at least virtually impossible to read the clue, examine the response choices and then respond correctly in under 4 seconds, I got a 4.48s by skimming the clue and instaget a known response 'jumping out' at me on list, physiologically it takes at least 2 seconds to input a visual signal, process it, recognize it, and send an impulse down the arm to mouseover & click; also, typical decision-making 'lag' is ~ 2 seconds even for an instaget, brains do not operate at the speed of light!:
Spoiler
CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 6.1 seconds!

THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED
CORRECTLY 33.5% OF THE TIME

Points for Correct Answer: 1,000 Sploofus Points
Time Bonus Points: 327 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
1,327 Sploofus Points
Spoiler
CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 4.48 seconds!

CORRECTLY 80.1% OF THE TIME

Time Bonus Points: 446 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
1,446 Sploofus Points
This differs from game-show response time; when the clue appears, AT READS IT ALOUD, during which eons slowly tick by while you read, interpret and recognize the clue, until he stops speaking! :o

PS: This one is gold!:
Spoiler
10 Hopelessly Well-Known Literature Quotes
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goatman wrote:Finally got it working, here's what I got on two TQOTD, I think it's simply physically not possible, or at least virtually impossible to read the clue, examine the response choices and then respond correctly in under 4 seconds
I think I've broken the 4-second mark maybe half-a-dozen times.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

econgator wrote:
goatman wrote:Finally got it working, here's what I got on two TQOTD, I think it's simply physically not possible, or at least virtually impossible to read the clue, examine the response choices and then respond correctly in under 4 seconds
I have as well.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

ElendilPickle wrote:
econgator wrote:
I have as well.
Practice makes perfect, congrats!! :D
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I've missed four this month, but nights like tonight will help even though I'm at page 5 #205 as of this post.

Dallas Stars from Minnesota--I slap-shotted that sucker at 105mph
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

MarkBarrett wrote:I've missed four this month, but nights like tonight will help even though I'm at page 5 #205 as of this post.

cheezguy is AVERAGING a point higher than this proud post this month. I'm in second place, have missed nothing, my times have been decent, and I am 3000 points in back of first. This is not human speed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I've missed four this month, but nights like tonight will help even though I'm at page 5 #205 as of this post.

Nice one! I managed a 3.93 this morning basically because the clue was short and easy and the top choice was the correct choice.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

In spite of instaget recognition, it still took me 5.2s to read the clue, then search for an answer I knew in the list AND click "submit"! Young reflexes...sigh.
Spoiler
CONGRATULATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 5.2 seconds!

CORRECTLY 23.9% OF THE TIME

Time Bonus Points: 384 Points
Wager Winnings: 5,000 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
6,384 Sploofus Points

Question ID: 8875241
Note your new point totals at the top of the page.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Because of server lag on the part of Sploofus, I often get saddled with times in the 10-15 sec range despite their being instagets on my part. Most frustrating, especially since it has nothing to do with my connection, which is as solid as it gets.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Another one today instant recognition on Geography, yet racing to click, click, click resulted in:
Spoiler
CONGRATULATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 4.41 seconds!

CORRECTLY 77.9% OF THE TIME

Time Bonus Points: 453 Points
Wager Winnings: 5,000 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
6,453 Sploofus Points
Yay! First 100 on a Sploof PQ! All instagets, woot! I recommend Bluemnguy's PQs, great author and this #25M was spot on! :D
Spoiler
Miscellaneous Trivia Quiz--25M - Results

Your Score: 100.00% Correct
Your Time: 67.12 seconds

100 Monthly/Jackpot Points
200 Bonus Points*

* Based on score & quiz difficulty
Leander

Post by Leander »

Woof wrote:Because of server lag on the part of Sploofus, I often get saddled with times in the 10-15 sec range despite their being instagets on my part. Most frustrating, especially since it has nothing to do with my connection, which is as solid as it gets.
Whether it's their server, or my connection, I often have the same issue although not as bad as 15 seconds. Which is why I find it hard to see how one can get a superfast score.
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

Weyoun suggested that he never played unless he was on a wired connection. It makes a huge difference for me:

[image=]https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6buweb2ed1dg ... M.png?dl=0[/image]
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gobobbygo wrote:Weyoun suggested that he never played unless he was on a wired connection. It makes a huge difference for me:

I've never played on anything but a wired connection. It's a 300 Mbps connection; the lag's not on my end.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
gobobbygo wrote:Weyoun suggested that he never played unless he was on a wired connection. It makes a huge difference for me:

I've never played on anything but a wired connection. It's a 300 Mbps connection; the lag's not on my end.
Ditto. It's pretty obvious which end is lagging because the server already updated the screen to the rolling bars indicating that it was processing the response. That's where the lag occurs. Maybe I just choose popular times of the day to play.