The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: How did we run out of time in the J! round anyway? We seemed to be hauling ass, there were barely any TSes, and I'm 99% sure he never gave the LTAM.
Alex gave the LTAM when Joe was making his DD wager at clue 25. That 1% gets you again. That's why you don't like to guess. :)
That still doesn't answer how we managed to run out of time. How many TSes were there in the J! round anyway? I recall very few. There were no video clues to eat up time either.
The AIRPORT clues had photos, so I would say they were a little longer than regular clues. Joe & Blair each had an incorrect response and Jack had three wrongs. Joe ran a category followed by an applause delay. Joe missed a DD. Alex more than once gave a summary of what remained on the board and had to deal with Jack in the hole and out of the hole.

It was a combination of factors that ate up some time with no one person really at fault as usually occurs.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: How did we run out of time in the J! round anyway? We seemed to be hauling ass, there were barely any TSes, and I'm 99% sure he never gave the LTAM.
Alex gave the LTAM when Joe was making his DD wager at clue 25. That 1% gets you again. That's why you don't like to guess. :)
That still doesn't answer how we managed to run out of time. How many TSes were there in the J! round anyway? I recall very few. There were no video clues to eat up time either.
The AIRPORT clues had photos, so I would say they were a little longer than regular clues. Joe & Blair each had an incorrect response and Jack had three wrongs. Joe ran a category followed by an applause delay. Joe missed a DD. Alex more than once gave a summary of what remained on the board and had to deal with Jack in the hole and out of the hole.

It was a combination of factors that ate up some time with no one person really at fault as usually occurs.
Unless there's a video category. Miss five clues and no video category? Not even a whisper. Miss five clues with a video category? BURN THE WITCH!!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
beatlesfan317

Post by beatlesfan317 »

Yes, having fun is very important. Try a jeapardy video game, they are a little easer, fun and interactive.
Panic Mansion http://philome.la/beatlesfan317/panic-mansion is a combination of a trivia game and an action-rpg available to play online, in a web browser for free. You must answer questions and defeating bosses at the end of each level.
JemRiffster
Contributor

Post by JemRiffster »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Sons of Aaron = Irish?
Erin, not Aaron. It's a poetic name for Ireland.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Prisoners of War = Geneva?
The clue referenced Hogan's Heroes, a TV show set in a WWII prisoner of war camp.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Scarface?
IIRC, the clue named Tony Montana, who is the main character of Scarface. For some reason, Tony Montana is incredibly iconic (though I'm sure being played by Al Pacino helps...). He's iconic enough that I can't remember the last time I've been in a mall and haven't seen him on some merchandise.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Trafalgar?!?
Horatio Nelson + 1805 battle = Trafalgar.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Ummm TPH, there's a Nelson Column in Trafalgar Square in London. They named a piece of London for it!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

JemRiffster wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Sons of Aaron = Irish?
Erin, not Aaron. It's a poetic name for Ireland.
It's actually an Anglicisation of the Irish-language word for "of Ireland": Éireann. Sons of Ireland would be Mac na hÉireann.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Page 3 bump!
TenPoundHammer wrote: Rental Cars was largely a YEKIOYD category.
They asked you for the Star Trek ship for Enterprise.
Hertz, I'll give you that one since it relies on knowing their logo.
Congressional Budget Office, aka CBO, is easy if you follow political news even less than casually.
They gave you a currency TOM, but still requires you knowing 'Dollar' is a rental co.
Latin for bird. It would help to know Avis is a rental agency, but also somewhat derivable. (Avian, etc.) (Also, Avis is the rental agency in Tomorrow Never Dies.)

I went 4/5, didn't know Dollar. 2/5 would be the minimum I'd expect for hopeful contestants with zero knowledge of car rental companies.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote: Congressional Budget Office, aka CBO, is easy if you follow political news even less than casually.
Plus they had a TOM for the more traditional definition of budget (I forget the exact wording)
Volante wrote:Latin for bird. It would help to know Avis is a rental agency, but also somewhat derivable. (Avian, etc.) (Also, Avis is the rental agency in Tomorrow Never Dies.)
Plus, TPH has said he knows Spanish (and has remarked how Spanish and Italian are similar, I'm sure he can reason that Latin would be very similar to Italian), and the Spanish for "birds" is "aves". If you say "aves", that'd be a get as it's pronounced pretty much the same way. And since you aren't playing along for money or any real reason it doesn't hurt anything to just say the Spanish for "birds" even if you don't think it's a car rental agency. Why bother getting hung up on it if you aren't keeping track of your score? Because you're afraid of getting it wrong? So what? You don't want to get test questions wrong but this isn't a test, what's the down side of it?

Sorry, got off topic there and raised blood pressure a bit.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF

Post by BobF »

Volante wrote:Page 3 bump!
TenPoundHammer wrote: Rental Cars was largely a YEKIOYD category.
They asked you for the Star Trek ship for Enterprise.
Hertz, I'll give you that one since it relies on knowing their logo.
Congressional Budget Office, aka CBO, is easy if you follow political news even less than casually.
They gave you a currency TOM, but still requires you knowing 'Dollar' is a rental co.
Latin for bird. It would help to know Avis is a rental agency, but also somewhat derivable. (Avian, etc.) (Also, Avis is the rental agency in Tomorrow Never Dies.)

I went 4/5, didn't know Dollar. 2/5 would be the minimum I'd expect for hopeful contestants with zero knowledge of car rental companies.
I also missed only on Dollar. My mind was going through currencies like euro, crown, etc.
Last edited by BobF on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I did get the Enterprise one. Hertz's logo I didn't know.
dhkendall wrote:
Volante wrote: Congressional Budget Office, aka CBO, is easy if you follow political news even less than casually.
Plus they had a TOM for the more traditional definition of budget (I forget the exact wording)
The "Budget" clue was as follows:

If you're watching what you spend, try this company whose name is also found between "congressional" and "office"

I misread/misheard "between" as "before", which completely jammed all my signals. That didn't matter, since I don't know what the congressional budget office is anyway.

The TOMs for "Dollar" were "in terms of currency" and an obscure slogan. If you don't know that Dollar is a rental car company (which I didn't), then it could be quite literally any currency. Off the top of my head, Euro seems like a perfectly cromulent neg.
dhkendall wrote:
Volante wrote:Latin for bird. It would help to know Avis is a rental agency, but also somewhat derivable. (Avian, etc.) (Also, Avis is the rental agency in Tomorrow Never Dies.)
Plus, TPH has said he knows Spanish (and has remarked how Spanish and Italian are similar, I'm sure he can reason that Latin would be very similar to Italian), and the Spanish for "birds" is "aves".
Actually, the only word I know in Spanish for "bird" is pájaro (seriously, why does Spanish have four words for everything? It's just like that one clue where they used a word for "wall" that wasn't pared). That said, I did get Avis because I know words like "avian" and "aviary".
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: The TOMs for "Dollar" were "in terms of currency" and an obscure slogan. If you don't know that Dollar is a rental car company (which I didn't), then it could be quite literally any currency. Off the top of my head, Euro seems like a perfectly cromulent neg.
I agreed with you on that one!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Actually, the only word I know in Spanish for "bird" is pájaro (seriously, why does Spanish have four words for everything?
This criticism comes from an English speaker? That's like the saucepan calling the teakettle jet.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Foxborough seemed very obscure for $400. There are dozens of towns in MA that are bigger and more prominent than it.
Yes, but none of those other towns are home to the Patriots, who are probably (currently) the most famous team in the most popular sport in the United States.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Portugal at $400? There's more than one country that borders Spain, last I checked.
I can't recall the king's name exactly, but wasn't it Alfonso? Does that sound French to you? And do you think Andorra (which is a principality and not a kingdom) would be able to kick out the Moors?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Portugal at $400? There's more than one country that borders Spain, last I checked.
I can't recall the king's name exactly, but wasn't it Alfonso? Does that sound French to you? And do you think Andorra (which is a principality and not a kingdom) would be able to kick out the Moors?
1. You know how much I hate "sounds like" as a TOM, because that is 100% subjective.

2. Why not? Underdogs have won before.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:2. Why not? Underdogs have won before.
I'm sure we would have heard about it if Andorra did that. (Or did *anything* to make it on 95% of people's radar). Usually when an underdog the size of Andorra pulls something like that, even you'd know about it. (You're familiar with King David, and he had greater odds.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Another fancy-pants food category where I'm stunned that anyone knows ANY of this.
Yes, eggs over easy, chicken ala king, pasta primavera and crab cakes - all food that only Rockefellers eat.

Or anyone who has had breakfast, been to a diner, an Olive Garden or a Cheesecake Factory.
Eggs over easy I knew. I've NHO chicken a la king, only barely know what pasta primavera is, and Cheesecake Factory is so ludicrously expensive that I doubt they'd even let me in one.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Another fancy-pants food category where I'm stunned that anyone knows ANY of this.
Yes, eggs over easy, chicken ala king, pasta primavera and crab cakes - all food that only Rockefellers eat.

Or anyone who has had breakfast, been to a diner, an Olive Garden or a Cheesecake Factory.
Eggs over easy I knew. I've NHO chicken a la king, only barely know what pasta primavera is, and Cheesecake Factory is so ludicrously expensive that I doubt they'd even let me in one.
Yes, Cheesecake Factory is so "ludicrously expensive" that it's usually an hour wait to get seated. And because entrees in the range of $10-$20 are so out of whack to the rest of the U.S. They probably even have napkins, they're so exclusive and fancy.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Elijah Baley wrote:

Or you know pays attention to things. There are fancy pants food I'll probably never have but I know caviar is fish eggs (sturgeonor beluga if I remember right) and themidor and Newberg are two kinds of lobster dishes.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why would I pay attention to lobster if there's no way I could ever afford to eat one?