Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo »

Hoping we see some activity in this thread in 2017! Happy New Year!
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

morbeedo wrote:Hoping we see some activity in this thread in 2017! Happy New Year!
AMEN!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

The audition before last, San Diego was one of the cities you could designate. Did they ever hold San Diego auditions?
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

Magna wrote:The audition before last, San Diego was one of the cities you could designate. Did they ever hold San Diego auditions?
Don't believe so. The news of SD auditions is what I'm always on here looking for—probably to be disappointed that I'm not among the invited, but still....
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

Online test 2016: Oct. 5, 2016

e-mail notification of audition: Nov. 28, 2016

audition in Phoenix: Jan 19, 2017
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

Jeffreygallup wrote:Online test 2016: Oct. 5, 2016

e-mail notification of audition: Nov. 28, 2016

audition in Phoenix: Jan 19, 2017
Hope it went great!
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

San Diego audition invites are going out!

When I joined JBoard, I think I read most of the posts under this topic, but I don't remember anyone posting the actual invitation for the audition. (I did a site search and see that it's been posted in other topics.) The email text doesn't include any personal identifiers, so I thought it might be interesting for others of the uninitiated (like me, before today) to see:

Jeopardy! Contestant Audition in San Diego on February 6 at 11:30am
Congratulations! You have been selected for a follow-up appointment at an upcoming Jeopardy! contestant search for the San Diego area, exclusively for those who successfully passed the online test. This is the next step in becoming a Jeopardy! contestant. We have reserved the following appointment for you:

When: Monday, February 6th
Time: 11:30 AM
Where: San Diego, CA

You must RSVP within two business days of receipt of this email to secure your place in the audition. To RSVP, reply to this email and provide the following:
1) Date and time of your audition
2) Your name
3) Your residential city & state
4) Your phone number

Due to overwhelming demand we can only hold your spot for two business days. If you respond after that period of time, and if we still have space, we will be happy to provide you with an appointment.

Your appointment is non-transferable, and only those who receive this invitation directly from Jeopardy! may RSVP to book an appointment. Each RSVP will be matched against an invite list and forwarded invitations will not be honored.

Appointments are very limited, so please be sure you can join us before you RSVP. Should you have a major conflict with the time and/or date provided, you may respond to this email and explain the nature of the situation. Again, please provide your name, city, and phone number.

Once you RSVP, we will email you a letter of confirmation within ten business days that will give you the exact location and other information regarding trying out.

The audition will last about 2 – 2 ½ hours.

Eligibility: You must not have been to an in-person audition (where you took a 50 question test) in the past 18 months. If we find that you have been at an in-person audition in the past 18 months, you will be deemed ineligible. You cannot appear on Jeopardy! if you have previously appeared on Jeopardy! from 1984-2017. You must not have done any other game shows in the past year or more than 2 in the past 5 years.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Best Regards,
The Jeopardy! Contestant Department

I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone on this site, but I got a bit weepy and I replied immediately.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Congrats! Have a great time.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Congrats, dfawcettSD; you're going to have a blast! :D
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

Thanks for the congrats and encouragement.

Another note for audition newbies like me: Once you respond to the audition invitation email, it does NOT take ten days for the confirmation and location details, thankfully. Mine arrived with an hour of my response. It includes an attachment with the kind of application/questionnaire one would expect, which we're supposed to print, fill out, and take to the audition.

OK, bye. Gotta go study national capitals, the periodic table, the Constitution, mythology, religion.... :o
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dfawcettSD wrote:Gotta go study national capitals, the periodic table, the Constitution, mythology, religion.... :o
Don't worry so much about that stuff right now. I mean, you should study those things as part of your normal prep, but right now your focus should be on being comfortable, genuine and interesting at your audition. Solid stories that you can tell in 20-30 seconds without stumbling, an out-of-the-ordinary way to spend the money, etc. It won't matter how much you know if you never get The Call.
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

Thanks for the advice, BigDaddyMatty.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

dfawcettSD wrote:Thanks for the advice, BigDaddyMatty.
I was going to offer the exact same advice, but then I remembered something Robert said to me at the last audition. "Your written test scores will play a big part in determining your chances." So, although I do, for the most part, agree with BigDaddyMatty, I would set aside a little bit of time to study one weak area that seems to come up on the show a lot. His advice takes priority, mine is just secondary.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

BobF wrote:I was going to offer the exact same advice, but then I remembered something Robert said to me at the last audition. "Your written test scores will play a big part in determining your chances."
Very interesting. I've never heard that before.
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

BobF wrote:
I was going to offer the exact same advice, but then I remembered something Robert said to me at the last audition. "Your written test scores will play a big part in determining your chances."
The in-person test is pretty much equal to the online test in terms of difficulty. If you already did well on the one, there is no need to panic about the other. I assume Robert probably just meant "Don't bomb and get a twenty." Your previous score in such a case might perhaps be dismissed as cheating at worst and a fluke at best (even though it might actually be the bad score that was the fluke). But a results disparity of that kind is probably very rare.
mhepbaum
Contributor

Post by mhepbaum »

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for sharing this, but...I GOT THE CALL!!!! I'm gonna be on Jeopardy!!!

Here's my timeline, and whoa, I just realized that by the time my episode airs, it'll be over 2 years since I first took the test. Yikes that's a drawn out process! But AHHHHHH I WILL NEVER FEEL READY ENOUGH AHHHHH.

Online Test: April 2015
Invited to In-Person Audition by E-Mail: January 2016
In-Person Audition (San Francisco): March 2016
Got "The Call": January 2017
Taping: February 21-22, 2017 (!!!! OMG SO SOON COMMENCE CRAMMING)

Again - AHHHHH!
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

Congratulations!!!!
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woo! Good luck!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Congrats! :)
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

Good luck, mhepbaum!