The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Why would I pay attention to lobster if there's no way I could ever afford to eat one?
This routine is getting a little old, don't you think?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Coming from a place of total innocence, I ask what is Ten Pound Hammer and why does this thread exist?

When I say Chris Hemsworth is in the Thor films and Liam is in the Hunger Games, then TPH says 'why would I go see those movies', what is an appropriate reply?
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Why would I pay attention to lobster if there's no way I could ever afford to eat one?
When I'm out walking through my town, I will sometimes accidentally cross the street right in front of a Porsche because, you know, why would I ever pay attention to a Porsche if there's no way I could ever afford to drive one.

Fortunately (or, depending upon your perspective, unfortunately) they don't skimp on brakes otherwise I wouldn't be posting this.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

morbeedo wrote:Coming from a place of total innocence, I ask what is Ten Pound Hammer and why does this thread exist?

When I say Chris Hemsworth is in the Thor films and Liam is in the Hunger Games, then TPH says 'why would I go see those movies', what is an appropriate reply?
If you can think of something to say that you want to say, and you don't care what response you get, then go ahead and post that. Otherwise, to quote War Games, the only way to win is not to play. :)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Magna wrote:
morbeedo wrote:Coming from a place of total innocence, I ask what is Ten Pound Hammer and why does this thread exist?

If you can think of something to say that you want to say, and you don't care what response you get, then go ahead and post that. Otherwise, to quote War Games, the only way to win is not to play. :)
Fair enough. But I'd also like TPH to weigh in here.
1stlvlthinker

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

So, I"m relatively new here, and from what I've read on the boards (and in playing TD), just about everyone knows more about trivia than I do. But, is this TPH guy for real? It's like just because he's never heard of something or someone, that it's obscure. I mean the first time I thought this about him, he had never heard of Laura Linney or Ryan Gosling. If it's someone who I'd never heard of, at least I might look them up and get an idea of how obscure they are, but both of those people aren't exactly D level celebs.

If I never heard of an answer, my first response is, "oh, that's interesting", not "how could anyone get that"?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Because you want to keep spinning the wheel when spotted this

FOOD & DRINK
___STER T_ER____R
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Volante wrote:

FOOD & DRINK
___STER T_ER____R
Monster Thermidor, my favorite! It's so hard to find in restaurants any more, though.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

morbeedo wrote:When I say Chris Hemsworth is in the Thor films and Liam is in the Hunger Games, then TPH says 'why would I go see those movies', what is an appropriate reply?
I think it's been well established that I despise the Hunger Games.
Volante wrote:

FOOD & DRINK
___STER T_ER____R
And that only requires me to know that "thermidor" is a word (which I do), not what's actually in it. That's why I could get "thermidor" if the category on J! were "'Herm'etically Sealed", but not if it were "Foods That Have Never Been in TPH's Kitchen".

(Of course, we know that if I were on Wheel, I would have only needed the R's.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Too bad the guy from Cal Tech wasn't in the game with the Cheesecake Factory clue.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
morbeedo wrote:When I say Chris Hemsworth is in the Thor films and Liam is in the Hunger Games, then TPH says 'why would I go see those movies', what is an appropriate reply?
I think it's been well established that I despise the Hunger Games.
Not really. Maybe I haven't been around here long enough, but I really don't know anything about TPH. That's why I posted here looking for answers.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Bamaman wrote:Too bad the guy from Cal Tech wasn't in the game with the Cheesecake Factory clue.
Haha, during my time at Caltech, the average undergrad probably only ate at Cheesecake Factory once or twice a year. I've actually eaten there far more frequently since I came back to the Bay Area.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:

FOOD & DRINK
___STER T_ER____R
And that only requires me to know that "thermidor" is a word (which I do), not what's actually in it. That's why I could get "thermidor" if the category on J! were "'Herm'etically Sealed", but not if it were "Foods That Have Never Been in TPH's Kitchen".

(Of course, we know that if I were on Wheel, I would have only needed the R's.)
But that's the thing. -I- have no idea what Lobster Thermador is either. I just know that if spotted "food" and "thermador", "lobster" is the odds on favorite.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

I would like to piggyback of this and in good faith ask why TPH is here? You clearly aren't Jeopardy material and don't care to be. There is obviously nothing wrong with this, and I am not trying to judge a fish based on its ability to climb a tree, as it were.

To continue the analogy, what I am curious about is why a fish would insist on hanging out in the forest, aggressively pointing out how it isn't a monkey and questioning how anyone could possibly be a monkey. Wouldn't you be better served finding somewhere to swim?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vintsanity wrote:To continue the analogy, what I am curious about is why a fish would insist on hanging out in the forest, aggressively pointing out how it isn't a monkey and questioning how anyone could possibly be a monkey. Wouldn't you be better served finding somewhere to swim?
Equally as baffling is that there are many who are still wasting time trying to convince the fish about ... well, anything.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Vintsanity wrote:
To continue the analogy, what I am curious about is why a fish would insist on hanging out in the forest, aggressively pointing out how it isn't a monkey and questioning how anyone could possibly be a monkey. Wouldn't you be better served finding somewhere to swim?
Well, come on... The suspense is gilling me here.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rackme32 wrote:
Vintsanity wrote:
The whole thing gives me a haddock.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

alietr wrote:
Rackme32 wrote:
Vintsanity wrote:
The whole thing gives me a haddock.
Ah, to halibut all!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Still unanswered:
That said, I see no way to narrow it down [whether the North or South island of New Zealand is larger]. Looking at it on the map, both North and South look equally large to me. And looking at their actual square mileage, it's by no means a slam dunk. Especially since the smaller of the two has more population.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Still unanswered:
That said, I see no way to narrow it down [whether the North or South island of New Zealand is larger]. Looking at it on the map, both North and South look equally large to me. And looking at their actual square mileage, it's by no means a slam dunk. Especially since the smaller of the two has more population.
If you're looking for a shortcut regarding this fact, there isn't one. It appears you've already looked up everything you would want on this topic, which is a good start. Not sure what more you really want. Maybe learn what cities are on what island? Which one is the capital? That should be your next step.