Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Spoiler
$50,000
Though it might be difficult to operate, if the iPod Nano actually measured a nanometer across, it would be how wide?
A: 1 thousandth of a meter
B: 1 millionth of a meter
C: 1 billionth of a meter
D: 1 trillionth of a meter
Next:
Spoiler
During this week the players get a 4th lifeline to Cut the question and have it replaced with another one of the same value. That is what Josh did. The correct answer was: C: 1 billionth of a meter
I wonder whether this decision reflected
Spoiler
ignorance of what the "nano" prefix means
, or
Spoiler
a misunderstanding of the question as requiring knowledge of the iPod Nano's proportions.
If the latter,
Spoiler
he could/should have realized that no iPod has proportions of 1:1,000 or 1:1,000,000. I'm going to assume he just didn't know what "nano" meant.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote:Amusingly, the question he skipped (which simply required knowing what the prefix nano meant, very commonly used in science) was probably the easiest and quickest one.
How often were you exposed to 'nano-' by age 13, though?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote:
IronNeck wrote:Amusingly, the question he skipped (which simply required knowing what the prefix nano meant, very commonly used in science) was probably the easiest and quickest one.
I'd heard of a nanosecond (and what it meant) before my age was double digits.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Spoiler
$50,000
Though it might be difficult to operate, if the iPod Nano actually measured a nanometer across, it would be how wide?
A: 1 thousandth of a meter
B: 1 millionth of a meter
C: 1 billionth of a meter
D: 1 trillionth of a meter
Next:
Spoiler
During this week the players get a 4th lifeline to Cut the question and have it replaced with another one of the same value. That is what Josh did. The correct answer was: C: 1 billionth of a meter
I wonder whether this decision reflected
Spoiler
ignorance of what the "nano" prefix means
, or
Spoiler
a misunderstanding of the question as requiring knowledge of the iPod Nano's proportions.
If the latter,
Spoiler
he could/should have realized that no iPod has proportions of 1:1,000 or 1:1,000,000. I'm going to assume he just didn't know what "nano" meant.
Spoiler
I agree. It took me a couple re-reads to work out that "measured...across" and "how wide" were synonyms. From there it was easy.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Volante wrote:
I was probably 8 or 9 by the time I learned that "nano" was 10^-9. That's besides the point, though.

The 13 year-old on the show knew or reasoned out far more difficult questions that I would NOT have gotten at either 13 or even 23. He has played very well. So in that sense it's amusing that he skipped what was the easiest one of the lot.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 2/16 show opened with Josh Darrow returning to see this question:
Spoiler
$250,000 and no lifelines remaining
Next:
Spoiler
Josh did not want to risk a guess even though he felt he could eliminate Denmark and Norway as being Scandinavian and too north. He walked with his $100,000 although of course Chris had him make a guess for fun. Josh said, "Netherlands" and would have been correct.
Next:
Spoiler
Uma Upamaka began play and did not use a lifeline until the $10,000 question.

In order to boast that their age is a prime number, a math-loving nonagenarian must be how old?
A: 91
B: 93
C: 97
D: 99
Next:
Spoiler
Uma did not know and would not/did not/could not figure it out, so used the CUT lifeline to play a new question. The correct answer was of course C: 97 and that was the one she thought it was not.
Next:
Spoiler
I've added these extra lines just to make it less obvious that Josh walked on the first question he saw. Uma knew the replacement Q for 10K and got the 20K one after using her 50:50 so she will return tomorrow with two lifelines remaining.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote:The 2/16 show opened with Josh Darrow returning to see this question:
Spoiler
$250,000 and no lifelines remaining
Next:
Spoiler
Josh did not want to risk a guess even though he felt he could eliminate Denmark and Norway as being Scandinavian and too north. He walked with his $100,000 although of course Chris had him make a guess for fun. Josh said, "Netherlands" and would have been correct.
Spoiler
Given the show's aversion to parting with prize money, I'm surprised the $250k clue ended up being reasonable. (I knew it cold) I was rooting for Josh to win a huge sum, too. Oh well, $100k is still an excellent haul, and very rare nowadays.

Also, I was probably much worse at trivia than Uma when I was in junior high, but I would have gotten that prime number question when I was 8 years old, let alone 13-14. That's because it's not trivia.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
Seriously. Leiden was an instaget. I would have doubled over laughing if I saw that as a $250K.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I've taken notice both kids weeks have been really heavy on the math questions
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote:I've taken notice both kids weeks have been really heavy on the math questions
Indeed. I suppose the contestant test selects for that. And speaking of which:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Next:
Spoiler
Uma Upamaka began play and did not use a lifeline until the $10,000 question.

In order to boast that their age is a prime number, a math-loving nonagenarian must be how old?
A: 91
B: 93
C: 97
D: 99
Next:
Spoiler
Uma did not know and would not/did not/could not figure it out, so used the CUT lifeline to play a new question. The correct answer was of course C: 97 and that was the one she thought it was not.
Spoiler
93 and 99 I can cast out threes to quickly see they aren't prime, but what's the quick way to know that 91 isn't? Maybe (49x2)-7? Is there a trickier way?
Golf

Post by Golf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Spoiler
93 and 99 I can cast out threes to quickly see they aren't prime, but what's the quick way to know that 91 isn't? Maybe (49x2)-7? Is there a trickier way?
Spoiler
Threes are obvious, fives are obvious, next step is to divide by 7. Done.

Not real hard regardless of age to divide by all odd numbers until reaching the halfway point. But perhaps that's not the obvious way to solve this simply?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Not real hard regardless of age to divide by all odd numbers until reaching the halfway point. But perhaps that's not the obvious way to solve this simply?
That's it. Odds can't have an even factor, so work your way up the odds like you said.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Golf wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Your method is fine. You only need to test numbers (at most) up to the whole square root of the number. That would mean up to 9 in this case, which is divisible by 3, which was already tested. So 7 is literally the last prime divisor one has to look at. And voila, 13*7= 91
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spoiler
It is made easier as it obviously isn't divisible by 3 or 5.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

IronNeck wrote:
Golf wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Your method is fine. You only need to test numbers (at most) up to the whole square root of the number. That would mean up to 9 in this case, which is divisible by 3, which was already tested. So 7 is literally the last prime divisor one has to look at. And voila, 13*7= 91
Not quite

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xkbQDEXJy2k
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Golf wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
You don't even have to get to the halfway point – just to the "square root" point.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Uma Upamaka returned on the 2/17 show and faced this question:
Spoiler
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
She left with $5,000 and her +1 unused. Yeah, thanks a lot audience.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

never ask the audience about geography. americans don't know shit about geography.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Yikes. And I thought I was bad at geography. (Knew that one, though, and any adult should immediately be able to disqualify A and D)

Do you think some of the audience members might have been messing with her, though?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Unless she did something to piss everyone off, I can't imagine why.