Thursday, February 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Re: Thursday, February 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Maven »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Shareware" is not free. That was a bad clue.
opusthepenguin wrote:I would say it's not necessarily free, but I had the same thought.
bpmod wrote:By definition it is not free. The fact that seldom is it paid for notwithstanding.
Me four. I can't believe I am admitting to this, but I short-circuited on that clue because of two factors...one, if it's free, it's near-automatically freeware (which slipped from my lips as my brain said "No! WAIT!! It's gotta RHYME!!"). And two, shareware as a term is just not really in use these days (or at least so I've crazily thought) and for sometime since the early-mid 2000's. Since then, and with or without a free trial, it's just simply paid software (or 'apps', given the nature of Windows 10, as well as the last couple or so Apple/Mac OSes), at least as far as I've observed. But evidently, on some plane of existence, some software is still called shareware somewhere.
Last edited by Maven on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
I would say it's not necessarily free, but I had the same thought.
By definition it is not free. The fact that seldom is it paid for notwithstanding.
Some shareware is free for non-commercial use. Some shareware is free as long as you can live without the advanced features. Some shareware is free if you don't mind advertisements. Etc. etc.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:
bpmod wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
By definition it is not free. The fact that seldom is it paid for notwithstanding.
Some shareware is free for non-commercial use. Some shareware is free as long as you can live without the advanced features. Some shareware is free if you don't mind advertisements. Etc. etc.
All they had to say was "initially free" or "free to download".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Oftentimes, when I see people calling something negbait here, I think (and sometimes express) that they shouldn't blame the writers for their own lack of knowledge that made the wrong answer attractive. Having had this attitude toward other people's posts is now causing me to resist asserting that the UAE clue in the "EM" category was negbait for Yemen. (If anyone else wants to say it first, though, I might go ahead and agree with you!)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:Oftentimes, when I see people calling something negbait here, I think (and sometimes express) that they shouldn't blame the writers for their own lack of knowledge that made the wrong answer attractive. Having had this attitude toward other people's posts is now causing me to resist asserting that the UAE clue in the "EM" category was negbait for Yemen. (If anyone else wants to say it first, though, I might go ahead and agree with you!)
I forget the exact clue, but my first thought was, yeah, that's some negbait.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote:Oftentimes, when I see people calling something negbait here, I think (and sometimes express) that they shouldn't blame the writers for their own lack of knowledge that made the wrong answer attractive. Having had this attitude toward other people's posts is now causing me to resist asserting that the UAE clue in the "EM" category was negbait for Yemen. (If anyone else wants to say it first, though, I might go ahead and agree with you!)
I completely agree with all parts of this post. I dislike and try to avoid using the term "negbait" for precisely that reason. At the same time, yeah, "Yemen" is a very forgivable neg on that clue. It would take an outstanding player to very quickly come up with both UAE and Yemen and realize the former is correct. More likely, a player only comes up with one country and goes with it. Or gets it on the rebound.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dinghammer wrote:Will I be the only person who immediately thought of Brasilia, then thought that would be way too easy, so "Latinized" must mean something else, then just picked another random South American capital? Yes? Okay.
I stuck with Brasilia, but I tried like heck to figure out if there was some way to make Georgetown, Guyana fit the clue.
I'll be your huckleberry. I didn't include it in my initial post for the sake of the brevity, but, yeah, come on. That's pretty much the epitome (empitome? epiteme?) of negbait.

ETA: I see that we have a quorum on the negbait issue.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Those (3), Athlete (5), Free (1), Web (5), Beasts (2), "EM" (4)
Madam (3), Lit (2), 1 Vowel, 3 Times (2), Statue (4), News (4), Nutrition (0)

Lach Trash: On the house, Kris Bryant, Tempe, Stalingrad, Morocco; DD: Department of the Interior

I got to Brasilia right away, then hesitated and went through the others just in case I missed something, but my first instinct was correct.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I figured the countries in the clue must have made it clear that it was the UAE and not Yemen, but further inspection shows me that Yemen borders the exact same two countries the UAE does, so only "southwest" and "southeast" in the clue narrowed it down between the two (Yemen has water to its south).
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Me free... errrr three.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
“Bring Up the Bodies” is Hilary Mantel’s sequel to this historical novel about the rise to power of Thomas Cromwell
Spoiler
What is (2009 Man Booker Prize winner) Wolf Hall?
Jeopardy sure asks about it a lot. I didn't have a clue.
Me neither, but it's interesting that it's nearly identical to this clue from 2013:
In "Bring Up the Bodies", Hilary Mantel continues the 16th c. saga of Thomas Cromwell, begun in this book
I got this clue today because I've memorized that exact clue.

Looks like my dismay at the FJ betting and at the UAE clue has already been expressed. For the latter, I saw Saudi Arabia and Oman in the clue and, knowing Yemen borders both, was extremely confident it was correct, so I did the mental equivalent of a spittake when Alex ruled it incorrect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dinghammer wrote:Will I be the only person who immediately thought of Brasilia, then thought that would be way too easy, so "Latinized" must mean something else, then just picked another random South American capital? Yes? Okay.
Who did you pick?
BobF

Post by BobF »

Anybody go with San Salvador for final? I had that as my answer for about 8 seconds before I realized El Salvador is not in South America and I fortunately came up with the correct answer in time.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Good thing I forgot the category, because I did the geography in my head and came up with UAE instantly, then did a quick check on 'em' and answered. I hadn't thought about it, but Yemen was some serious negbait on that one.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote:Good thing I forgot the category, because I did the geography in my head and came up with UAE instantly, then did a quick check on 'em' and answered. I hadn't thought about it, but Yemen was some serious negbait on that one.
1) Props to alietr for the powerful right brain processing.
2) Boo to the writers - imho it doesn't even fit the category because we all know this as UAE. Would Alex have given the BMS to the answer as "UAE"?
3) Props to the student that got the rebound (can't remember which one). After seeing someone scorched for $1K, how do you not stay clam?

It was a mean question. If they wanted to use UAE, they should have gone with "this three word name...", or some other track.
No hate to the writers, btw. I have to believe they made a mistake.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

twelvefootboy wrote:
alietr wrote:Good thing I forgot the category, because I did the geography in my head and came up with UAE instantly, then did a quick check on 'em' and answered. I hadn't thought about it, but Yemen was some serious negbait on that one.
2) Boo to the writers - imho it doesn't even fit the category because we all know this as UAE. Would Alex have given the BMS to the answer as "UAE"?
3) Props to the student that got the rebound (can't remember which one). After seeing someone scorched for $1K, how do you not stay clam?

It was a mean question. If they wanted to use UAE, they should have gone with "this three word name...", or some other track.
What mistake was that?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote:2) Boo to the writers - imho it doesn't even fit the category because we all know this as UAE. Would Alex have given the BMS to the answer as "UAE"?
Of course it fits the category and there would have been no BMS. It needed to have "em" in the response, so it's outright wrong.
I would have been shocked if they had. If you know one, you likely know the other. So, once Yemen is eliminated, it makes it pretty easy.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: 2) Boo to the writers - imho it doesn't even fit the category because we all know this as UAE. Would Alex have given the BMS to the answer as "UAE"?
Come on. Of course it fits the category. People may refer to the country as "UAE," but people should know it's the United Arab Emirates. I see no reason Alex would need to BMS a response of "what is the UAE?"
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

silverscreentest wrote:

What mistake was that?[/quote]

Is this a rhetorical question? There's been a dozen posts on this already. I will give the writers the benefit of the doubt that they didn't intend it as a trick question.
A geography TOM is perfectly acceptable (IMHO) in a "quotation mark" category if
a) the country name is regular usage, and
b) there isn't an extremely similar, but barely incorrect alternate answer that has been in the news for a few years, even before the recent immigration/refugee fiasco.
My opinion only, I don't pretend to be a Jeopardista. Based on the rest of the softball questions this week, I think the writers overlooked the wickedness of this clue. My confirmation bias is reinforced by many other posts on here from very smart people who missed it for the same reasons.
End of announcement.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Yup, the free stuff is known as "freeware," not shareware, at least in the circles I travel in.