Wednesday, February 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

42 right.

Shakespeare (5), History (5), Police (2), Singer (4), Afraid (4), "EV" (3)
Religion (3), Character (5), Island (3), Acronym (4), Science (0), Line (4)

Lach Trash: Romeo & Juliet, William Seward

I didn't know it for certain, but Whig seemed like the best guess.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"New Zealand's largest island". Wait, New Zealand HAS islands?! I thought it was just one big island. That said, I see no way to narrow it down. Looking at it on the map, both North and South look equally large to me. And looking at their actual square mileage, it's by no means a slam dunk. Especially since the smaller of the two has more population.
To be fair, despite having geography as an ultra-wheelhouse I took the "North Island" bait too because it looks bigger (in truth, it is just more compacted, making it look bigger) - 13,000 square miles difference (slightly smaller than that of Taiwan) isn't that much of a difference.

But even I knew right away Tasmania was wrong. :lol:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"New Zealand's largest island". Wait, New Zealand HAS islands?! I thought it was just one big island. That said, I see no way to narrow it down. Looking at it on the map, both North and South look equally large to me. And looking at their actual square mileage, it's by no means a slam dunk. Especially since the smaller of the two has more population.
To be fair, despite having geography as an ultra-wheelhouse I took the "North Island" bait too because it looks bigger (in truth, it is just more compacted, making it look bigger) - 13,000 square miles difference (slightly smaller than that of Taiwan) isn't that much of a difference.

But even I knew right away Tasmania was wrong. :lol:
With the caveat that a sabbatical spent in Christchurch in 2012 gives me a leg up on this one, I knew that it was the South Island that they were looking for, though I can certainly understand those that went with the North Island. Tasmania is a bit harder of an answer to defend, though :lol:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote:A clue for morbeedo with coulrophobia appearing made me laugh.
HAHA thanks for the shout out - just catching up on this week's shows. Last Halloween, I went out as a clown (what else?) and some guy in a bar asked me to say hello to his gf because she's TERRIFIED of clowns (nice guy). So I walk over to her and she loses her mind and I said, seriously? come ON? is this really a thing?

All three players were equally likable! usually I pick a favorite but I was rooting for any of them to win. Was happy to see Alex adjust his buzzer technique midgame after getting locked out for most of the J! round. He was remarkably formal in his interview I thought. Probably just nervous.

Shakespeare is my #1 category of all time and frankly I thought the R&J clue was stupid. I scratched my head for a while then went oh, really? ok. I didn't love the yard sale theme but I appreciate what the writers were going for. They really love to dumb down the bard, though, with Tarzan and silly rhymes etc.

NHO homo habilis or the toolmaker! For the life of me couldn't come up with the opposite of 'organic' chemistry (my strongest subject in college, whereas Physics II hurt my brain). NHO tritium either. Wasn't getting Commodore Perry in a hundred million years.

How many islands does NZ have? If two, then the clue should have asked for the larger, not the largest. Am I right? These are paid writers!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: How many islands does NZ have? If two, then the clue should have asked for the larger, not the largest. Am I right? These are paid writers!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... ew_Zealand
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote:
morbeedo wrote: How many islands does NZ have? If two, then the clue should have asked for the larger, not the largest. Am I right? These are paid writers!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... ew_Zealand
Ahh, makes sense then. I was only off by about six hundred. Thanks, seaborgium and Wikipedia, source of all things true.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

morbeedo wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:A clue for morbeedo with coulrophobia appearing made me laugh.
HAHA thanks for the shout out - just catching up on this week's shows. Last Halloween, I went out as a clown (what else?) and some guy in a bar asked me to say hello to his gf because she's TERRIFIED of clowns (nice guy). So I walk over to her and she loses her mind and I said, seriously? come ON? is this really a thing?
As the husband of a coulrophobe, I can assure you it is quite real. She is really afraid of them and if you (in the costume in the link) showed up in bar, she would ask for us to leave. She looks away if one comes on TV. And that girl you met needs a new boyfriend. He is a prick.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

morbeedo wrote: He was remarkably formal in his interview I thought. Probably just nervous.
He responded in a very similar manner to how at least 70% of Caltech undergrads would in that situation. (Possibly including myself during that time) He wasn't "nervous"; just focused and serious on the task at hand. Approaching the game the same way one would a final where the average is going to be a 40%.
Bamaman wrote: As the husband of a coulrophobe, I can assure you it is quite real. She is really afraid of them and if you (in the costume in the link) showed up in bar, she would ask for us to leave. She looks away if one comes on TV. And that girl you met needs a new boyfriend. He is a prick.
My girlfriend and I love trolling one another with things the other dislikes or is uncomfortable with. In her case, she hates clowns, so that means I make her watch every single film featuring clowns I can find. To be fair, Fellini's The Clowns (1970) and The Last Circus/La Balleda Triste de la Trompeta (2010) are both great.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote:How many islands does NZ have? If two, then the clue should have asked for the larger, not the largest. Am I right? These are paid writers!
It has two main islands but ~600 smaller ones. I don't recall the wording of the clue so I can't vouch for the grammar.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

IronNeck wrote:
Bamaman wrote: As the husband of a coulrophobe, I can assure you it is quite real. She is really afraid of them and if you (in the costume in the link) showed up in bar, she would ask for us to leave. She looks away if one comes on TV. And that girl you met needs a new boyfriend. He is a prick.
My girlfriend and I love trolling one another with things the other dislikes or is uncomfortable with. In her case, she hates clowns, so that means I make her watch every single film featuring clowns I can find. To be fair, Fellini's The Clowns (1970) and The Last Circus/La Balleda Triste de la Trompeta (2010) are both great.
Hates =/= is afraid of. I'd hope you wouldn't do that if she were actually coulrophobic.