Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

Nice win, Grant. Yesterday was a tough game, with two above-average opponents, so I'm not surprised you locked today's game. Also, my girlfriend thinks you're cute.

Both DD wagers were poor, especially the second one. And as it turned out, conserving that $3300 changed nothing, not even a shot at second, in the event of a wrong answer.

LT: promenade, Gibson, Augustus, A Bend in the River, dadaism

FJ: Miss. Guessed Barcelona. Yuck.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Keep forgetting Gibson is a guitar brand...and I visit Hard Rock Cafes...that's like, 1/3rd the memorabilia! (Fenders are another 1/3rd. Everything else is the remainder.)

29/29 in the DJ! round. *pouts* Art category though, so maybe it's best that that last one went unrevealed. :lol:

Rio, hoping the song in question was 'that Ipanema one' as my brain put it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Anyone else notice that the Simpsons clue (about Marge being blinded by an eclipse) was a clue about the eyes of Marge on the Ides of March?
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Leander wrote:Instaget FJ, but I knew Jobim wrote The Girl From Ipanema which led me to Rio.
Precisely the same for me...praise be the glory of bebop and my being a jazzbo!

Ran Pro Teams Are For The Birds, Basic Geography, Movie Title Places, and She Blinded Me; and almost ran We've Got Company (Including the Gibson LT. The Reese's/Kit-Kat DD messed me up...I guessed Mars.), The 1940s (Including the Kiss Me Kate LT. Ralph Bunche couldn't quite come to me, even though I've certainly heard and read his name enough to the point of it should have come to me.), "P" Soup (tonight is the first time I've ever heard of politburo), and Art (darn them not finishing!).

My best J! night in quite awhile.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I got the FJ because of the Olympics coverage and several articles and TV news bits about The Girl from Impanema that aired during that fortnight.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

First - Great job Champ! I showed my wife your profile pic, and then realized- you had to be careful to use your first day shirt in the profile pic or you would have messed up!

Got FJ without the benefit of knowing the artist and song, although I'm familiar with it. I wasted time because I skimmed the clue and instantly told my wife "we slept on the floor there", thinking that it was John Lennon Airport (Liverpool) and assuming Jobim was some co-writer. Then I re-read the clue and freaked out because the guy's name was Greek to me, and I don't have a vault of named airports (Reagan, John Wayne, O'Hare, Bush, De Gaulle, LaGuardia... ok there's a buttload of them). I decided Antonio Carlos Jobim wasn't quite Spanish and picked Portuguese. Figured Rio over Lisbon. Too bad about all the negbait for the folks who picked Ipanema.

Funny thing is we got an Amazon Echo this week and had Boots Randolph (a favorite of my departed father-in-law) playing before our TV session. And, the shuffle brought up "The Girl from Ipanema" twice within 4 songs. The subliminal help didn't soak in.

I got "Dada" by elimination as a goofy art genre that I didn't know what is. Sort of like Ska or Zydego is to music, the name seems like nonsense.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

twelvefootboy wrote:First - Great job Champ! I showed my wife your profile pic, and then realized- you had to be careful to use your first day shirt in the profile pic or you would have messed up!
Not that I'd have first-hand knowledge of this, but my second-hand knowledge tells me that unless you do something historic and the show needs something for publicity, you only get a Trebek photo during your first game.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:First - Great job Champ! I showed my wife your profile pic, and then realized- you had to be careful to use your first day shirt in the profile pic or you would have messed up!
Not that I'd have first-hand knowledge of this, but my second-hand knowledge tells me that unless you do something historic and the show needs something for publicity, you only get a Trebek photo during your first game.
I thought as much, maybe they get them all out of the way before beginning the taping day, but still - how do you keep clam for 2-4 months after you compete! Sure, the financial threat is there but it must be a challenge! Enough with the exlamation points, tfb!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

twelvefootboy wrote:I thought as much, maybe they get them all out of the way before beginning the taping day, but still - how do you keep clam for 2-4 months after you compete! Sure, the financial threat is there but it must be a challenge! Enough with the exlamation points, tfb!
Again, second-hand, but it takes place between the J! and DJ! rounds of the first game. :)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Guys name sounded like it could be Brazilian and knew the Getz and Gilberto single was from right around that era, so that was enough to get me to Rio. Can't say I saw extremely confident, but couldn't think of anything better!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote: but I had no earthly idea what song they were referring to even after I saw the correct responses.
Likewise.
After I looked it up on YouTube just now, I readily recognized the melody but it is one I never cared enough about to learn what the title is.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,800
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: promenade, Kiss Me Kate, Ralph Bunche, Dada (DD)
davey wrote:If you don't know Ralph Bunche - he used to be a trivia and crossword staple, but maybe not so much anymore - and don't know exactly what the Spingarn is, Hammerskjold is not a bad guess.
Except that the clue specified that he had won The NAACP's Spingarn Medal. Am I the only one who knows Bunche primarily from reading ValueTales as a kid?
TenPoundHammer wrote:I honestly didn't know the word for "brick" in Spanish. Funny how, as fluent as I am, there are still so many words I don't know. The best example is how I managed to go five years without either using or hearing the word for "both" in Spanish.
The only word I've ever seen for "brick" in Spanish is tijolo. Google translates "tijolo" as brick, but when given "brick," returns ladrillo as the primary answer. FWIW, it translates "adobe" as "adobe."
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: The only word I've ever seen for "brick" in Spanish is tijolo. Google translates "tijolo" as brick, but when given "brick," returns ladrillo as the primary answer. FWIW, it translates "adobe" as "adobe."
Yeah, I missed that clue for that very reason. Translated "brick" into Spanish and it certainly didn't point in the direction the clue did. Just be sure, I looked up my old University of Chicago Spanish-English dictionary, and sure enough, "adobe" in Spanish translates to..."adobe" in English.

Even Wikipedia only claims that adobe is Spanish for "mudbrick".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:I thought as much, maybe they get them all out of the way before beginning the taping day, but still - how do you keep clam for 2-4 months after you compete! Sure, the financial threat is there but it must be a challenge! Enough with the exlamation points, tfb!
Again, second-hand, but it takes place between the J! and DJ! rounds of the first game. :)
Huh, I thought (also from hearing secondhandedly) that it was before the interview portion.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
billiej

Post by billiej »

twelvefootboy wrote: - how do you keep clam for 2-4 months after you compete! Sure, the financial threat is there but it must be a challenge! Enough with the exlamation points, tfb!
I had to keep quiet for 6 months after taping WWTBAM. The suspense drove my friends and family crazy, I think it ended up being harder on them than on me! :P
BobF

Post by BobF »

I liked the way the question was written. It gave me just enough information to suss out the answer in about 20 seconds. Started going through Spanish or Latin American cities, then thought about 1964 songs that might be written by somebody with a Spanish surname (I know Portuguese, just saying what my brain was thinking), then I got the song, didn't think the place named in the song had an airport so I went with the most prominent city in that country.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Given how often clues about Dag Hammarskjold end up as triple stumpers, it's strange to see it as a guess when it wasn't the right response. Despite my typical lack of knowledge of pop music, I somehow managed to connect the name to Ipanema and got FJ much faster than I got Jakarta, which is strange since geography is one of my wheelhouses.
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

Congratulations to our Champion!

Did I miss it, or did Alex never mention that the song was The Girl from Ipanema?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I know "The Girl from Ipanema" as "that song that always plays in elevators in movies", but only because I recently found this out on TV Tropes.
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I honestly didn't know the word for "brick" in Spanish. Funny how, as fluent as I am, there are still so many words I don't know. The best example is how I managed to go five years without either using or hearing the word for "both" in Spanish.
The only word I've ever seen for "brick" in Spanish is tijolo. Google translates "tijolo" as brick, but when given "brick," returns ladrillo as the primary answer. FWIW, it translates "adobe" as "adobe."
Now ladrillo rings a faint bell. Think this is good enough to submit as an erratum when the game is archived?

Who handles their Spanish clues anyway? Like in this game where they used muro for "wall", when most people would only know pared as "wall".
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

doriko wrote:Congratulations to our Champion!

Did I miss it, or did Alex never mention that the song was The Girl from Ipanema?
He never mentioned it.