Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I know "The Girl from Ipanema" as "that song that always plays in elevators in movies", but only because I recently found this out on TV Tropes.
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I honestly didn't know the word for "brick" in Spanish. Funny how, as fluent as I am, there are still so many words I don't know. The best example is how I managed to go five years without either using or hearing the word for "both" in Spanish.
The only word I've ever seen for "brick" in Spanish is tijolo. Google translates "tijolo" as brick, but when given "brick," returns ladrillo as the primary answer. FWIW, it translates "adobe" as "adobe."
Now ladrillo rings a faint bell. Think this is good enough to submit as an erratum when the game is archived?

Who handles their Spanish clues anyway? Like in this game where they used muro for "wall", when most people would only know pared as "wall".
As a speaker of French, I know mur is wall and muro would be gettable for me. (Also, murus is the Latin word for wall.) The Mexican word for wall is "we ain't paying for it".
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
davey wrote:If you don't know Ralph Bunche - he used to be a trivia and crossword staple, but maybe not so much anymore - and don't know exactly what the Spingarn is, Hammarskjold is not a bad guess.
Except that the clue specified that he had won The NAACP's Spingarn Medal.
Which is why I wrote don't know exactly what the Spingarn is.
I know, for J! purposes the NAACP is always going to be invoked for an African American, and everyone should know about Bunche. But is it laughable to think they might have paid tribute to a white international diplomat? One who died in Africa, by the way, in a plane crash as he was attempting to broker a ceasefire in the Congo.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BobF wrote:didn't think the place named in the song had an airport so I went with the most prominent city in that country.
You went with São Paulo? Too bad! :)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mcsheffrey wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:For whatever reason, Jobim struck me as Portuguese, which led me to Brazil, which led me to (WAG) that the song was The Girl from Ipanema. I either never knew or forgot where that is, so I guessed Rio. Oh it was almost a triple get? Huh. I'm guessing they just knew it, and didn't meander their way to a correct guess like I did :oops: At least it wasn't one of the airports from a recent TD, then I would've kicked myself.
That was pretty much my reasoning to a T. Portuguese > Brazil > Girl From Ipanema > Ipanema Beach > Rio de Janeiro.

I was getting nervous/angry with myself when Elisabeth got her DD. I knew dadaism instantly and thought she had a good shot at it. As was pointed out though, in the end I would have been a little better off if she had got it right. Who knows though, maybe the extra nerves would have thrown me off enough to break my circuitous route to the FJ answer. I certainly can't complain about the end result!
No matter how you criticize or second-guess yourself, it's hard to argue with results like these. Many congrats on making the J! Players Hall of Fame. I'd love to watch tonight as well but fear the basketball games will preempt you around here.

This FJ was another of those times when it helps to be "of a certain age." Jobim = The Girl from Ipanema = Rio. Done, boom.

Nice when that happens.
BobF

Post by BobF »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
BobF wrote:didn't think the place named in the song had an airport so I went with the most prominent city in that country.
And Tacoma is the most prominent city in WA. :)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

doriko wrote:Congratulations to our Champion!

Did I miss it, or did Alex never mention that the song was The Girl from Ipanema?
I had actually meant to look it up later to verify that I had the right song but never got around to it. I figured if enough people here were certain of it then it had to be right.

And thank you!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BobF wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
I think it would be more like New York vs. Los Angeles. São Paulo is the most populous city in Brazil, so I'm not sure why Rio should be considered more prominent.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

I'm wondering how well the contestants would have done on FJ pre-2014. Having a World Cup in Brazil and an Olympics in Rio within the last 3 years definitely gave me a lot more exposure to what is in Rio. Guessing based on the songwriter's name that it was somewhere in Latin/South America led me to a somewhat confident guess of Rio.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Bautista's infamous batflip was in 2015, not 2016!!! The writers blew it!

Also, "Newfoundland & ____", Fear and Loathing, and Medusa in the bottom row had me wide-eyed.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

French Rage wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am I'm wondering how well the contestants would have done on FJ pre-2014. Having a World Cup in Brazil and an Olympics in Rio within the last 3 years definitely gave me a lot more exposure to what is in Rio. Guessing based on the songwriter's name that it was somewhere in Latin/South America led me to a somewhat confident guess of Rio.
I've been wondering how well I would have done before about a year ago. I happened to know, thanks to a question in the Pointless app*, that the airport in Rio is named after Antonio Carlos Jobim, but without that or all the stuff about The Girl from Ipanema during the Olympics, who knows?

(* I think it's in the most recent question pack, but if it's not, then it must be in the default questions, so that would put it around 2014 also.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 am
BobF wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
I think it would be more like New York vs. Los Angeles. São Paulo is the most populous city in Brazil, so I'm not sure why Rio should be considered more prominent.
That's São Paulo's only claim to fame though. Rio's hosted the Olympics, the World Cup, has the Christ the Redeemer statue, Sugarloaf, beaches, Carnival...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am aware of the song and that it was a place in Brazil but had no idea who wrote it. The sad thing is I thought the name might be Portuguese but for some reason never made the connection to Brazil.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:14 pmElizabeth should have gone bigger on that DD as she could have gotten within $2000 with one $2000 clue left. I got that one right in a complete guess.
Those were high stakes for sure! Anyone else notice her eyes open SUPER WIDE when the clue was revealed? Poor dear, she didn't have a clue! At least she got to stick around for Final Jeopardy.

And yeah, what's up with Alex not mentioning the song at the end. Leaves 80% of viewers thinking WTF? I got to Rio de Janiero (sic) without recognizing the name.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Forgot to ask about the $800 clue in WALK THIS WAY: These 2 walking words rhyme; the first also means to talk aimlessly & the second, to stroll or saunter.

The correct response was ramble / amble, but I came up with meander / wander. I wonder how the judges would rule on that?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:00 pmThe correct response was ramble / amble, but I came up with meander / wander. I wonder how the judges would rule on that?
Not in your favor.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:21 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:00 pmThe correct response was ramble / amble, but I came up with meander / wander. I wonder how the judges would rule on that?
Not in your favor.
Well, meander can mean to talk aimlessly, and wander can mean to stroll, and the words do rhyme in a way.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:31 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:21 pm
Not in your favor.
Well, meander can mean to talk aimlessly, and wander can mean to stroll, and the words do rhyme in a way.

Sight rhyme, sure. Actual rhyme, no.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:00 pm Forgot to ask about the $800 clue in WALK THIS WAY: These 2 walking words rhyme; the first also means to talk aimlessly & the second, to stroll or saunter.

The correct response was ramble / amble, but I came up with meander / wander. I wonder how the judges would rule on that?
I came up with "ramble" and "gambol," which rhyme better than yours but also go 50% on matching the definitions.