Monday, April 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, April 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Doug527 »

Judy5cents wrote:Mike, you did a great job. You pulled yourself out of the hole more than once, you finished in second place ahead of the returning champion, and you got the FJ question correct. Being Canadian, I would assume the American Revolution is not something you studied all the way through grade school, so you deserve extra credit for knowing more about American History than most of us know about Canadian history--or Canadian Maritime Provinces.

Well done. You can hold your head up high.
Just want to second this...I didn't get around to seeing the episode until tonight, but you really rallied at the end and never got rattled. Sorry the signaling device wasn't your best friend, but you did great!
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

econgator wrote:Mike, I was wondering if you might be able to help me out a little.

I'm entering this game in the Archive and I'm at the clue, "The site of heavy fighting during World War I, this river joins the Seine at the Paris suburb of Charenton". I think that your response was, "What is Ypres?", but I'm not certain. Do you recall if that's what you were going for there?
Yep, that's what I said. And, no, it's not a river. I think it's a town in Belgium. That was a tough clue for the first round, IMO. My French teacher would've been happy with my pronunciation, though.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

It's actually in the Flemish part of Belgium. I went there with a Flemish nationalist as my guide & while I'm not a battle sites buff, it was fascinating to see the bunkers there.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Doug527 wrote:
Judy5cents wrote:Mike, you did a great job. You pulled yourself out of the hole more than once, you finished in second place ahead of the returning champion, and you got the FJ question correct. Being Canadian, I would assume the American Revolution is not something you studied all the way through grade school, so you deserve extra credit for knowing more about American History than most of us know about Canadian history--or Canadian Maritime Provinces.

Well done. You can hold your head up high.
Just want to second this...I didn't get around to seeing the episode until tonight, but you really rallied at the end and never got rattled. Sorry the signaling device wasn't your best friend, but you did great!
Thanks so much, Doug! It's funny how much you can prepare, and it can all come down to something that has nothing to do with smarts. Kudos to you, and to Cindy, too. I have great newfound respect for those who call themselves champs.

As to that Marne clue, I think I conflated Yser and Ypres and ended up the river without a paddle. Damn crosswords!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: I think so, Bobby,but this time you wear the cheese

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I just know the next Kids' Week is going to have a Friendship Is Magic clue that none of you would have known without my help.
Don't flatter yourself -- well, I guess I don't really have to tell you that.

I know it's hard for you to believe, but those of us who are actually interested in the world around us will wind up finding out things about a variety of topics from a variety of sources. For example, in the Los Angeles Times this past Sunday, there was an article about "Friendship Is Magic" and, in particular, brony fandom. (But it's something I already knew about from elsewhere.)
TenPoundHammer

Re: I think so, Bobby,but this time you wear the cheese

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I just know the next Kids' Week is going to have a Friendship Is Magic clue that none of you would have known without my help.
Don't flatter yourself -- well, I guess I don't really have to tell you that.

I know it's hard for you to believe, but those of us who are actually interested in the world around us will wind up finding out things about a variety of topics from a variety of sources. For example, in the Los Angeles Times this past Sunday, there was an article about "Friendship Is Magic" and, in particular, brony fandom. (But it's something I already knew about from elsewhere.)
Dude, don't take me so seriously. I would think you'd know that by now.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

Congratulations on a great game, heisman65! Also, your interview was delightful!
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Miss Mellie wrote:Congratulations on a great game, heisman65! Also, your interview was delightful!
Thanks, Miss Mellie. I didn't feel like a winner back in December, but with all the positive feedback I've received on these boards and in my hometown (as well as from friends and family), that's starting to change.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

heisman65 wrote:
Miss Mellie wrote:Congratulations on a great game, heisman65! Also, your interview was delightful!
Thanks, Miss Mellie. I didn't feel like a winner back in December, but with all the positive feedback I've received on these boards and in my hometown (as well as from friends and family), that's starting to change.
Just one small step for (heis)man...
In and out of the pool four times
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

hey, just got around to watching this. nice game, mike, and sorry it didn't work out for you in the end. i agree that cindy was obviously locked in on the buzzer. but you make a terrific comeback from a nightmarish first round.
Austin Powers wrote:I am remind of the time someone played jpahk and the category was "A in Math." I said to myself, "well, they should try to keep him from getting the DD if it is there." And, yes, the opponent started there. Good, right? Except it was in the $400 level question. jpahk proceeded to steamroll the category, including DD IIRC.

So, if you are going to do it, also go to the bottom of the board first. Or the $1600, since DDs seem to be there more lately.
oh hey, they've been talking about me all week. huh.

anyway, yes, this happened in my 6th game, and it was in double jeopardy, and i think i was already leading like $12k to $3k to $2k (apparently 11.4 to 2.8 to 1.8, according to the archive—my memory of it was not far off). so there was little to gain by going for this category first, because a double-up for me there (which is what happened) pretty much ices the game even if it's the first category off the board. rather, i think my opponent (jared) just went there because he was comfortable with it. it was the first game of a new taping day, so none of these players had seen me make a TDD in a math category in my 2nd game. (they did know i was a physics teacher, so math is going to be a good category for me, but they probably didn't expect that i was going to bet it all.) interestingly, the audience didn't know either, although alex did. when i made the TDD bet, the audience gasped but alex was unsurprised; he'd seen me do it before. (the first time i made a huge TDD, though, he said, "whoa.")

of course, the point stands that if jared had gone deep into the category and found the DD, it's a totally different game, and i probably would have lost it based on my FJ miss. moral of the story: finding the DDs is important.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Thanks, Joon! You rule!