Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

myerse
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by myerse »

Andrea! I thought you were great. As a fellow non-famous contestant (the one who lost to Jacob and Cindy) I can echo what you said about the camaraderie and the good-will we had going on back stage. I loved the whole experience - and while, naturally, I'd have preferred winning (lots and lots of money), losing to someone as nice as Jacob was just fine. I've also stayed in touch with Cindy, and can attest that she is genuine, sweet, and just an all around lovely person. It has also been really fun watching our whole week and knowing all the bits that weren't seen on tv - like Glenn coming over to work with me during the commercial break to see if I might get a little less hopeless on the buzzer. Am looking forward to seeing how it turns out for Jacob....
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i think it's great that so many contestants from this week are coming out of the woodwork to chime in. cindy, congrats on your run—you played fabulously. there was a discussion earlier in this thread about how much of jeopardy is knowledge and how much is "figure it out", and you were excellent on both counts. i loved that you kept on guessing, and for the most part, it paid off for you. well done!

mike, andrea, and erica, i enjoyed watching you all as well. sorry things didn't work out better for you.
cool_hand
Valued Contributor

Post by cool_hand »

Cindy, if you're still looking on here, we really enjoyed watching you last week. You had personality up there, and that's always refreshing. I hope you find a good use for all the money...
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

When I said I didn't know seals had a community, I meant the kind of community that posts on the internet and is a special interest group. :mrgreen:

Cindy, if you made it out of there without peeing your pants, that's okay in my book. Having had an audition I know it's easy to get spooked. (And I had a terrible night's sleep the night before my audition, so I know it's important to be well-rested!) I didn't have a problem with your demeanor. I think it's hard to plan what demeanor to have, ahead of time, it just sort of happens.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

The Madison COurier, Cindy's hometown paper, did a writeup on her J! performance each day after her show aired. On her third and final episode, they said she won the $17,995 she earned in her third game, forgetting that only the champion in each game gets their winnings :)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

iowabelle wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
As for LL Bean, all information I can find has it based in Freeport, Maine, rather than Rockport. Rockport, Maine's claim to fame is that it was home to Andre the seal, subject of a book, A Seal Called Andre, and a 1994 movie, just called Andre. Incidentally, the seal in that film was actually played by a sea lion, which the seal community could not have been happy about.
I didn't know that seals had a community. :mrgreen:
iowabelle wrote:When I said I didn't know seals had a community, I meant the kind of community that posts on the internet and is a special interest group. :mrgreen:
Okay, I did some additional research, and it turns out that the seal community apparently didn't have a problem with Andre being played by a sea lion. They even did a special screening of the film for a group of seals, and it was greeted by nothing but applause right from the opening credits.

I forget where I read that tidbit, but I think I'm going to go add it to the movie's Wikipedia page.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:I forget where I read that tidbit, but I think I'm going to go add it to the movie's Wikipedia page.
You probably read it somewhere else on Wikipedia, where it was referenced from another Wikipedia article.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
cvanderb

Post by cvanderb »

Hi, guys. yeah, I am finally getting over feeling bad about blowing my two deciding questions Wednesday, and expecially about being trashed. Seeing the kind words posted here really helped. I have so much respect for you other players. It also helped that a ton of folks seemed to have had a great time watching. I guess I was good tv--like me or hate me, they watched me. FWIW everybody that knows me found it a very authentic representation of my incredibly insecure and, shall we say quirky, self.
Yes, my hometown paper blew it--I've sent a correction but don't really expect them to run anything else. Sorry for the error--they didn't actually interview me again. And in a weak moment I replied to someone who called me a 'train wreck" with "yeah, but a train wreck with $50K". Not proud of doing that, but I think it means I'm feeling better. :-)
Anyhow, really happy that I can reconnect here with Mike and Matt and Andrea, who were all brilliant and lovely (though through luck of the draw, it may not have been as obvious on tv as it was in the hotel/van/studio). And for anyone who would like to continue to gather fodder for ridicule, my Winners Circle is up now. :-)
Now to follow our friend Jake as he marches on! His mom was very nice, and told me that he really needed the $$ for tuition and also to be able to eat! He ought to be doing just fine now. :-) I really am happy for him!
Looking forward to chatting about games entirely unrelated to ours with you fascinating folk.
cvanderb

Post by cvanderb »

oh, forgot to tell you two of the funniest things:

1) someone online said this - "high intelligence + Tourette's Syndrome = good tv". I thought that was hilarious!

and

2) I was asked to come to the local professional wrestling event Saturday night and introduced as a special guest.
Never say that Jeopardy doesn't open doors! :-)
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

cvanderb wrote:oh, forgot to tell you two of the funniest things:

1) someone online said this - "high intelligence + Tourette's Syndrome = good tv". I thought that was hilarious!

and

2) I was asked to come to the local professional wrestling event Saturday night and introduced as a special guest.
Never say that Jeopardy doesn't open doors! :-)
gratsz on the nice run...you are a j! champeen twice over...let your critics remember that...

all in this household enjoyed your "style"...one of us remarked something about its being reminiscent of rodney dangerfield...

best wishes with all your public appearances...you deserve 'em!
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

last i checked, most keyboards still had shift keys.

seriously, i feel like i'm reading an e.e. cummings poem.

(with up so floating many bells down)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:last i checked, most keyboards still had shift keys.

seriously, i feel like i'm reading an e.e. cummings poem.

(with up so floating many bells down)
I'm sure I speak for most here when I say that I prefer high quality posts that are written in their own unique (yet perfectly readable) way than posts that are meticulously grammatically correct, but filled with inanity.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:I'm sure I speak for most here when I say that I prefer high quality posts that are written in their own unique (yet perfectly readable) way than posts that are meticulously grammatically correct, but filled with inanity.
My intent was not to make a serious complaint. You can type however you wish.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:and San Francisco was the snap trash in seals.
I knew it anyway, but at the game yesterday, I saw quite a few people wearing Seals jerseys.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Some people just don't get the point

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I'm sure I speak for most here when I say that I prefer high quality posts that are written in their own unique (yet perfectly readable) way than posts that are meticulously grammatically correct, but filled with inanity.
My intent was not to make a serious complaint. You can type however you wish.
A church with older people called a new and young preacher. He was very conscientious and tried to inspire the people to visit and evangelize the community. One old man just never got the point. So the preacher tried to "tailor" his sermons to reach this man.

The first time, the man came to the preacher after the sermon and said, "Preacher, you sure told 'em this morning!"
The next Sunday, the man said, "Preacher, you sure told 'em this morning."
The next Sunday, there was a terrible storm.
No one came but the preacher and the same man.
The preacher thought he really had him this time.
But after the sermon, the man said, "Preacher, if they'd a been here, you sure woulda got 'em this morning!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:seriously, i feel like i'm reading an e.e. cummings poem.
"It may at first seem of little import, but for a poet who paid such exacting attention to typography, it must be said once and for all that his name should be written and printed with the usual capital letters in their usual places: "E. E. Cummings.''
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote:
"It may at first seem of little import, but for a poet who paid such exacting attention to typography, it must be said once and for all that his name should be written and printed with the usual capital letters in their usual places: "E. E. Cummings.''
Which I knew full well, but if you'd paid attention, you'd have noticed that the rest of my post was all in lowercase.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
I'm sure I speak for most here when I say that I prefer high quality posts that are written in their own unique (yet perfectly readable) way than posts that are meticulously grammatically correct, but filled with inanity.
If you understand one-nil's posts, you're a better man than I.

I agree with TPH, by the way.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
trainman wrote:
Which I knew full well, but if you'd paid attention, you'd have noticed that the rest of my post was all in lowercase.
God only knows why, Bobby, but we do still pay attention... and what we see here is (how to put this delicately) the poster whose signal-to-noise ratio is hands down the biggest outlier on the board playing snotty one-upsmanship games with a 5x winner and TOCer and then sniveling that trainman didn't notice his (that's your) oh-so-subtle use of lowercase. And we do not see you coming after 7x winner Joon Pahk, whose posts share one-nil's unity of case while lacking his obliqueness.

At least have the grace to sit quietly in the corner for a bit when you've had your knuckles whacked.
In and out of the pool four times
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
If you understand one-nil's posts, you're a better man than I.

I agree with TPH, by the way.

And I also agree with TPH.