Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Audition Emails

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BobF wrote:
Miss Mellie wrote:The South Africa trip sounds pretty cool but then I noticed this in the Official Rules:
If selected in the random drawing, in order to be deemed the potential Grand Prize winner, a Canadian resident must correctly answer, within the allotted time and without assistance of any kind, a mathematical skill-testing question.
Is this a standard hoop we make our brothers to the north jump through??!
My theory is that Canadians are poor at math. As evidence, I submit early season hockey standings. A team that is 2-5 will be ahead of a team that is 1-0 with a tie. Same thing for the CFL standings.
At least it's not as crazy as what the old NASL used to have to keep standings.... Six points for a win, three for a tie (changed to four points for a shootout/overtime win when those came on board, two for shootout loss), zero for a loss, plus up to three "bonus points," one for each goal scored. I know it was designed to encourage teams to score more, but it seemed more like a game of Fizbin to keep track of sometimes.

EDIT: I had to look it up, but the old Continental Basketball Association had something equally arcane in the late 70s to mid 80s, the "Seven-point system." A team winning the game got three points in the standings, plus one point for each quarter it outscored the other team. Total points (rather than pure win-loss records) determined standings.
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

One week to go to Boston! I'll be there at 11:30 after taking the online test regularly every year and (apparently) finally passing this year. Looking forward to it!
karlarhea
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by karlarhea »

Anyone heard from the Teen test yet? The rescheduled on-line test was extra late this year, so I thought we might hear something fairly quickly. Even though he's only a sophomore, this is his last year for the Teen Tournament. I'm crossing my fingers that he's selected but also that the date works out, because his summer calendar is filling fast.
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

How about the college test? I got 33/50 so I really don't expect an audition email but i cant help but check my email daily for one.
gsabc
Contributor

Post by gsabc »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:One week to go to Boston! I'll be there at 11:30 after taking the online test regularly every year and (apparently) finally passing this year. Looking forward to it!
Good luck! I got bypassed again after passing, but always watch and root for the locals (while remaining incredibly jealous). Rock their socks off!
clem21

Post by clem21 »

Hiya - long time lurker, first time poster. I got an email inviting me to the NYC audition on June 7th. I believe I scored a 37 on the March test (after a 34 in January!) This is my first time passing, so any audition advice would be much appreciated. Does anyone know where they typically hold the NYC Audition? The email didn't say...
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

clem21 wrote: Does anyone know where they typically hold the NYC Audition? The email didn't say...
Typically in some midtown hotel or other. In recent years I have done the Waldorf, the Southgate Tower, and another in the West 30's or 40's whose name escapes me.
I'm smart and I want respect.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

clem21 wrote:Hiya - long time lurker, first time poster. I got an email inviting me to the NYC audition on June 7th. I believe I scored a 37 on the March test (after a 34 in January!) This is my first time passing, so any audition advice would be much appreciated. Does anyone know where they typically hold the NYC Audition? The email didn't say...
You meet at the top of the Empire State building. If no one else shows, it just wasn't meant to be.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

clem21 wrote:Hiya - long time lurker, first time poster. I got an email inviting me to the NYC audition on June 7th. I believe I scored a 37 on the March test (after a 34 in January!) This is my first time passing, so any audition advice would be much appreciated. Does anyone know where they typically hold the NYC Audition? The email didn't say...
Serious answer: they'll let you know the exact time and place to show up after you RSVP.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Looks like I'm going to be left out in the cold for the 2nd year in a row. Not quite giving up yet since they sometimes send out a 2nd wave of invitations, but I'm not optimistic.
steiny17

Post by steiny17 »

Clem, I just received my invitation to the NYC audition on the 7th also. This will be my second audition, hopefully it goes well! See you there!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I took the test in January & did well. I wasn't able to take it in March as I was in Italy & I also thought my original test was okay. I guess I'm out of luck?
jcrangers

Post by jcrangers »

I have a question for everyone.

I first took the adult online test in January after watching the show my entire life, (I'm in my early 20's.). I did OK, probably somewhere in the low 30's. Anyway, I never heard anything after that but than in March I received a generic reminder e-mail with the image of Alex and the Jeopardy set telling me about the test in March. I signed up and took it and did pretty well, probably in the low 40's.

Today, I just received an e-mail about an audition in NYC. Anyway, it mentions that you can only have taken the adult online test once to be eligible but from lurking around these boards for a little while it seems like it's not as clear cut as that and that there may have been some confusion regarding the January test. Do I have to decline the audition invite because I took the test again in March?

Any help would be appreciated.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jcrangers wrote:I have a question for everyone.

I first took the adult online test in January after watching the show my entire life, (I'm in my early 20's.). I did OK, probably somewhere in the low 30's. Anyway, I never heard anything after that but than in March I received a generic reminder e-mail with the image of Alex and the Jeopardy set telling me about the test in March. I signed up and took it and did pretty well, probably in the low 40's.

Today, I just received an e-mail about an audition in NYC. Anyway, it mentions that you can only have taken the adult online test once to be eligible but from lurking around these boards for a little while it seems like it's not as clear cut as that and that there may have been some confusion regarding the January test. Do I have to decline the audition invite because I took the test again in March?

Any help would be appreciated.
You need not decline it. Like you said, there were issues in Jan, so if you got the March email, you were likely affected and, therefore, still eligible.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Have a look at this discussions about some January test results not being received.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=602
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Obviously, you accept the invite and show up. If they cared that much, they would have sorted through the records and crossed you off. It's a random process and you got a random result; now make the most of your opportunity.
shepp

Post by shepp »

First time poster here. Hiya!

Today I got the invite for an audition in L.A. on May 30th.

And therein hangs a tale. In 2008 I got an invite in February for a March interview. I was told I passed, but never got The Call. Took the test in 2010 and 2011. Never got an invite in '10, and by summer of last year resigned myself to again not being invited. Then in November, while cleaning out a big backlog of spam, I discovered an audition invite from back in September. Obviously, I'd missed my shot. And I was devastated.

Now, in late 2010 I'd run into Maggie while attending a taping, and she remembered me (!) and urged me to get in touch if I felt I'd done well on the online test. So in November I e-mailed her and phoned Ms. Nusu, whose number was on the invite e-mail, and told them what had happened. I figured there was nothing unprincipled in that - I'd qualified and was just asking to be rescheduled. Ms. Nusu said she'd invite me to the next L.A. auditions, probably in January...so I decided not to retake the test then. But by March, when I hadn't heard, I took the test and felt like I aced it. And bingo, whether because of the 2011 test or the one in March, my invite came today.

Bottom line: the audition folks are really nice. And it's good not to give up trying.
jan
Contributor

Post by jan »

I had auditions in 2008 and 2010 in NYC at the Sheraton, 811 7th Ave, between 52nd and 53rd. Kinda bummed that I haven't gotten an invite yet this year.
clem21

Post by clem21 »

jan wrote:
I had auditions in 2008 and 2010 in NYC at the Sheraton, 811 7th Ave, between 52nd and 53rd. Kinda bummed that I haven't gotten an invite yet this year.
That's where it is this year again
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

I received a reminder email today from J! for the audition. I was wondering if they were going to consider moving the audition to Rosemont or somewhere close to O'Hare to get away from downtown with the NATO hassles, but they're pressing on. For those going I would personally advise taking Metra if you live in the Suburbs to avoid the nightmare that will be downtown traffic.
Jeopardy! Contestant Department wrote: Just a friendly Jeopardy! reminder…

Answer: May 17th at 3:00 PM.

Question: What is your scheduled try-out time for Jeopardy!?

Get ready to have fun with Questions and Clues as you try-out for America’s favorite Quiz show!

*Chicago is hosting the NATO conference the weekend of May 19-21. There will be certain road closure around the McCormick Center where the conference is being held. I have attached the security and transportation schedule from the U.S. secret service. The transportation/road closures mainly affect the south sections of downtown.*

Remember to bring your completed Contestant Information Sheet that was included in your confirmation e-mail.

If you are physically challenged in any way, please contact XYZ at XXX-XXX-XXXX prior to the audition to discuss any accommodations you may require.

We look forward to seeing you there,

The Jeopardy! Contestant Department