Alex retiring

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Alex retiring

Post by legendneverdies »

I have a thought or two that maybe Sony will try to court RYan Seacrest for J! or WOF when the time comes for a new host. Dick Clark hosted game shows and musical entertainment type shows in tandem, and Seacrest seems to get compared to Dick CLark a lot. Or maybe Seacrest will be saved for the next Pyramid go round. However GSN is talking about a new version of Pyramid, and no way GSN nabs Seacrest to host that.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

legendneverdies wrote:I have a thought or two that maybe Sony will try to court RYan Seacrest for J! or WOF when the time comes for a new host. Dick Clark hosted game shows and musical entertainment type shows in tandem, and Seacrest seems to get compared to Dick CLark a lot. Or maybe Seacrest will be saved for the next Pyramid go round. However GSN is talking about a new version of Pyramid, and no way GSN nabs Seacrest to host that.
No Seacrest. He can stay on E! or whatever network nabbed him for the Oscars...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

legendneverdies wrote:I have a thought or two that maybe Sony will try to court RYan Seacrest for J! or WOF when the time comes for a new host.
He crossed my mind, but I think he's too famous and too busy. He'd be excellent, though.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Seacrest can't keep the trains running on time on Idol when he has two hours to kill. No thank you.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Bob Harris would be cool.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jaxjags wrote:And it'd also be odd to be the last winner of Trebek Jeopardy and then have to play the next season with a new host.
Not to mention that, barring some unusual circumstances (three way $0 tie or something else) the last Trebek winner will be in the unusual position of being ineligible for future games under the "any episode of J! hosted by Alex Trebek" rule and the "any episode of J! hosted by [new host]" rule. (Which reminds me, could Lori Drummond be eligible to play again since she's the only contestant on regular J! since September 10, 1984, to appear on an episode not hosted by Alex Trebek?)
legendneverdies wrote:I have a thought or two that maybe Sony will try to court RYan Seacrest for J! or WOF when the time comes for a new host. Dick Clark hosted game shows and musical entertainment type shows in tandem, and Seacrest seems to get compared to Dick CLark a lot. Or maybe Seacrest will be saved for the next Pyramid go round. However GSN is talking about a new version of Pyramid, and no way GSN nabs Seacrest to host that.
You just gave me an excellent idea, Zach; the next host of J! should obviously be ... Dick Clark! (Hologram version, of course)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

dhkendall wrote:
You just gave me an excellent idea, Zach; the next host of J! should obviously be ... Dick Clark! (Hologram version, of course)
DIck Clark did have trouble with the Sprint round on the Challengers, some people thought, as he would occasionally misread a question and take time out of the Sprint round to make a comment about an answer.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:(Which reminds me, could Lori Drummond be eligible to play again since she's the only contestant on regular J! since September 10, 1984, to appear on an episode not hosted by Alex Trebek?)
Your phrasing is lacking here; three people since 1984 have appeared on an episode not hosted by Alex. It just happens that Lori is the only contestant never to appear on an Alex-hosted episode since then (which I assume is what you meant)!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

harrumph wrote:In my view the biggest consideration for a new host is the quality of the voice, a tone that is full, distinctive, and measured without calling too much attention to itself. Alex is a master of his voice. Peter Thomas, who does Forensic Files, has a great voice but he is in his mid eighties. Peter Coyote has a great voice for the Burns documentaries, I'd love to hear him read an FJ.
I completely agree with this. Ultimately it's why I can't imagine Ken or Brad being invited to host. Which former J! contestants have had the right voice for hosting the show? If I remember correctly, Frank Spangenberg had a great timbre, but maybe too strong an accent.

Rex
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Perhaps Alex's son will be the next host. Primogeniture and all that, you know.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Peggles wrote:Bob Harris would be cool.
Absolutely not! He's especially annoying. I usually don't root AGAINST players but he was one of the few over the last 30 years.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Phil Mushnick, media (mostly sports but general media on Sundays) weighed in thus (sorry if I am breaking the rules by quoting so much; it can also be found here, but the page is busy (i.e., slow-loading and crashy) and, who knows, maybe Murdoch will hack your computer if you visit):

Say it ain’t so! Alex Trebek, 71, last week hinted that he’s leaning toward retirement, that he’ll soon ask his last question in the form of an answer.

That would be a shame, given that “Jeopardy!,” on Trebek’s 28-year watch, has not only been a quality quiz show, but the most underrated and underappreciated comedy in TV history.

Comedy? Absolutely.

It’s seen and heard every show, right after the first commercials, when Trebek chats up the contestants. Goes something like this:

“Dr. Richard Drumgoole, a UCLA paleontologist whose team recently unearthed bones suggesting that there may in fact have been a horse-like animal that resembles the unicorn.

“Richard, I understand that you have an interesting hobby.”

“Yes, Alex, I enjoy cooking.”

“Any particular favorites?”

“Nothing fancy, Alex. Hamburgers, turkey burgers, chicken burgers, just about anything that can be flattened into a patty.”

“Well, let’s hope you’re cooking tonight. Good luck to you.

“Next, Mrs. Dorothy Egbert, a fourth-generation gold prospector from Casselton, North Dakota. Welcome, Dorothy.”

“Thank you, Alex.”

“So, when you’re not panning mountain streams for gold, what do you do to relax?”

“I enjoy knitting, Alex. Sweaters, scarves, wool hats. The usual. ”

“I bet those come in handy on those cold days and nights in North Dakota.”

“They certainly do, Alex.”

“And our returning champion, Arthur Dokes, a highly decorated Coast Guard captain from San Diego, who specializes in deep sea rescues.

“It reads here, captain, that you recently had a chance encounter with a celebrity.”

“Yes, Alex. I was in a hotel elevator when it stopped, and in walked Tim Conway.”

“Tim Conway! One of our favorites. Did the two of you chat?”

“Well, no, Alex. Actually, he was busy talking to the person he got into the elevator with. I don’t think he even noticed me.”

“I guess the lesson here is that when an elevator door opens, you never know who is going to be there!”

“You’ve got that right, Alex.”

It’s the longest-running comedy segment on TV. Long may she run!

Some years ago, the "readings" section toward the front of one issue of Harper's reproduced an actual trio of Trebek in-game interviews under the headline "World's Smallest Talk". Hard to argue with that.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

DVR Alert

Alex will be on the CBS Monday Morning Show to "discuss the future of Jeopardy".

The teaser implied that questions of his retirement would be addressed.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

More on? Alex? I think not!!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

While watching J! tonight a commercial aired that solved the host problem when Alex retires?