National Geography Bee

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

National Geography Bee

Post by Vanya »

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: National Geography Bee

Post by Rex Kramer »

Thanks, Vanya. By the way, who is your current avatar? Didn't she try to kill Jim Kirk on Triskelion?

Rex
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Thanks, Vanya. By the way, who is your current avatar? Didn't she try to kill Jim Kirk on Triskelion?

Rex
If you're referring to my previous avatar, it is Barbie look-alike Valeria Lukyanova.

50 quatloos to the first person to identify my current avatar.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Those without Google will not have an equal opportunity to respond correctly.

Rex
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Rex Kramer wrote:Those without Google will not have an equal opportunity to respond correctly.

Rex
I'd be surprised if anyone did know it without looking it up.
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

Thanks for the heads up! DVR := set
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

Here she is, making an argument.

(I'll use my quatloos to buy some sulfur hexafluoride)
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

This is so boring! Certain pols should stick to their day job.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Boy, I was right out of there on the winning question (made the news elsewhere). The clip of Alex asking people on the street geography questions was pretty damn funny.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Boy, I was right out of there on the winning question (made the news elsewhere). The clip of Alex asking people on the street geography questions was pretty damn funny.
For those of us who don't have the national Geographic Channel (used to ahve it, but cut it recently when I was trimming the cable package), mind letting us in on it (and spoilering the answer, of course).

Yes, I enjoyed the JayAlexwalking segment as well, but I'm pretty sure that editing just took the "worst" people on the street for the clip, I'm sure that he ran into a few Washingtonians that didn't do too badly with the questions.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:The clip of Alex asking people on the street geography questions was pretty damn funny.
I've tried following that link three times so far, and all it does is hang my browser.

So, if somebody can find it posted somewhere else, I'd appreciate it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Which Bavarian city located on the Danube River was a legislative seat of the Holy Roman Empire from 1663 to 1806.
Spoiler
Regensburg
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Well, the ending was exciting! I did well on the final five questions. If only I'd gone to Inverness when I was in Scotland, I'd have had a perfect score. I got the second & third tiebreakers but I was off on the winning answer, thinking Trier. Anyway, nice kids and a nice contest.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Johnblue wrote:Well, the ending was exciting! I did well on the final five questions. If only I'd gone to Inverness when I was in Scotland, I'd have had a perfect score. I got the second & third tiebreakers but I was off on the winning answer, thinking Trier. Anyway, nice kids and a nice contest.
I also thought it was Trier.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Vanya wrote:If you're referring to my previous avatar, it is Barbie look-alike Valeria Lukyanova.
Oh my god. I am sorry I asked and even sorrier I looked. It's The Island of Dr. Mattel!

Rex
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Is it just me, or are the Geography Bee questions (at least the ones I've seen) significantly harder than even the average J! question? (That final posted, for example, mgiht be worthy of an FJ, provided it's the TOC.)

And they still dumb down kid's/teen week, when their peers can answer those questions?? We need to get TPTB behind the Bee to work on J!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

They're harder. Much, much harder. They have to be. Remember, geography is to these kids as spelling ridiculous words is to Scripps-Howard kids. They have to be tough, or none of the contestants would ever get eliminated.
While I'm no geo-whiz I'm also no slouch, but were I to take a test that consisted of everything asked at the bee, I'd be happy to get 25% correct.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

The only city I know other than Munich in that state is Wurzburg(DIrk Nowitzki's home) and I have heard of Nuremberg but forgot where in Deutscheland it was in
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

CyrusChan wrote:The only city I know other than Munich in that state is Wurzburg(DIrk Nowitzki's home) and I have heard of Nuremberg but forgot where in Deutscheland it was in
Passau was an excellent guess for that question as well, as it satisfied 2 of the 3 criteria. Despite my fairly extensive knowledge of Germany, I clammed on it since I knew that neither Munich or Garmisch-Partenkirchen was on the Danube (foolishly, I thought that they were West of the river rather than South, though). Yes, those questions were a good deal harder than any geography questions I've seen on J!
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Mad props to Rahul, that was one heck of an educated guess!(1) I really liked how they did the reveal of the answers first and then "one of you will win." It'd be interesting (although severely messing with tradition) to see Jeopardy! do that if it fit the situation.

1. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=8676224 (It's also interesting how the ABC News report informs us (paraphrased) "he didn't really know it, it was just an educated guess." )