Random Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Post by earendel »

jeff6286 wrote:Well according to my calculations, (and Google's) you're off by like a million centimeters. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... .osb&cad=b

So if that answer won you the tiebreaker, then I guess Woof had the right idea by going with an estimated answer and not bothering with all that messy arithmetic.
Meaning no disrespect to Google but they seem to have rounded it off. If you do the paper math you get the answer I posted - I know because I did it twice later on just to confirm.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

For some reason I never got involved in this thread, and I just now read the first post.
Is it just me, or are those first three questions really not utterly random? They all seem to have a great deal to do with Jeopardy! ;)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

earendel wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Well according to my calculations, (and Google's) you're off by like a million centimeters. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... .osb&cad=b

So if that answer won you the tiebreaker, then I guess Woof had the right idea by going with an estimated answer and not bothering with all that messy arithmetic.
Meaning no disrespect to Google but they seem to have rounded it off. If you do the paper math you get the answer I posted - I know because I did it twice later on just to confirm.
No disrespect to you either, but your answer is still wrong. It never occurred to me to just plug the numbers into the standard Calculator in Windows XP, but unlike Google it actually displayed the entire answer: 238857*5280*12*2.54=38,440,307,980.8
This is the same answer I got when I did it on paper the first time, so you must have made a small error somewhere in your calculations, or copied something down wrong. Our answers only differed by a couple of digits right in the middle.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I was curious, so I did the calculation too, and also got 38, 440, 307, 980.8
earendel

Post by earendel »

Paucle wrote:I was curious, so I did the calculation too, and also got 38, 440, 307, 980.8
Hmmmm...interesting that both the moderator and I could have made the same error (if there is an error). Maybe he didn't really expect anyone to get the answer or else he just had 38,000,000,000 and figured I was close enough.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

earendel wrote:
Paucle wrote:I was curious, so I did the calculation too, and also got 38, 440, 307, 980.8
Hmmmm...interesting that both the moderator and I could have made the same error (if there is an error). Maybe he didn't really expect anyone to get the answer or else he just had 38,000,000,000 and figured I was close enough.
That's possible. There aren't too many trivia questions where part of the question is "give or take half a billion".

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Can one just show up and get tickets to see Jeopardy! being taped? I think the site says that tickets are ordered by phone or by mail. (My phone's not the best at displaying everything on a website.) Thanks.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Can one just show up and get tickets to see Jeopardy! being taped? I think the site says that tickets are ordered by phone or by mail. (My phone's not the best at displaying everything on a website.) Thanks.
There were some people claiming to sell them when we visited Venice Beach but we didn't really investigate that.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

A question came to me the other day:

I know that people aren't allowed (their own) paper, or smart phones while playing on stage, but would one be allowed them in the studio audience while waiting to go up (or after you went up)? I'm thinking that it might be neat, once The Call comes, to do my "play along at home" that I do for every single episode, of the games that I'll be in the audience for, but I wouldn't be able to keep track without my smartphone or at least some paper and a pen/pencil.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Can one just show up and get tickets to see Jeopardy! being taped? I think the site says that tickets are ordered by phone or by mail. (My phone's not the best at displaying everything on a website.) Thanks.
Not sure if game shows have a snail mail ticket address anymore. J! hasn't shown one air since probably the mid 90s. TPIR stopped plugging the CBS TV City address when Barker retired.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

dhkendall: Some contestants had their phones in the green room, but I didn't dare. I gave my turned-off phone to my sister, who was in the audience. I have a little more to say but I'd better not right now, if you know what I mean. ;)
ACW

Post by ACW »

Here's one:
How far apart are the tapings (like how long between Joel's game that aired yesterday and the one airing today)?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ACW wrote:Here's one:
How far apart are the tapings (like how long between Joel's game that aired yesterday and the one airing today)?
I believe it varies depending on where in the season you are. The ones early in the season I believe are taped close to air (like late July or so), whereas Joel's games may have been taped as far back as January or so.

Of course someone with more accurate info should answer this, but I'd really like to hear from people who taped both early in the season and alte in the season, to see if I'm right about the discrepancy (people like Stefan or Justin can speak to both!)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

edit: dhkendall, you misread the question.
In your example, about ten minutes. Between most Wednesdays and Thursdays, about an hour. Between many Fridays and Mondays, about six days. Between many other Fridays and Mondays, one night. Between season finales and season premieres, about four months.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Thanks seaborgium.
And thanks dh, that's interesting info.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:edit: dhkendall, you misread the question.
This explains my at-home performance ... :mrgreen:

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

dhkendall wrote:
I believe it varies depending on where in the season you are. The ones early in the season I believe are taped close to air (like late July or so), whereas Joel's games may have been taped as far back as January or so.

Of course someone with more accurate info should answer this, but I'd really like to hear from people who taped both early in the season and alte in the season, to see if I'm right about the discrepancy (people like Stefan or Justin can speak to both!)
Justin's late-July games filmed in March. His September games filmed in early August. His TOC games that aired in November were filmed the week after his September episodes aired.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The season usually starts taping in late July and ends in April(the last regular games are taped in March but the May sweeps stuff usually tapes in April, i.e. the DC weeks this season). This season's games started taping a couple of weeks later because of ALex's injury, no?
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

legendneverdies wrote:The season usually starts taping in late July and ends in April(the last regular games are taped in March but the May sweeps stuff usually tapes in April, i.e. the DC weeks this season). This season's games started taping a couple of weeks later because of ALex's injury, no?
Not sure -- all I know is that Justin's shows were taped one day (I want to say it was a Tuesday), and then Alex had his surgery the very next day. I don't know how long the wait for more tapings would have been if Justin had won his Friday game.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

kristinsausville wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:The season usually starts taping in late July and ends in April(the last regular games are taped in March but the May sweeps stuff usually tapes in April, i.e. the DC weeks this season). This season's games started taping a couple of weeks later because of ALex's injury, no?
Not sure -- all I know is that Justin's shows were taped one day (I want to say it was a Tuesday), and then Alex had his surgery the very next day. I don't know how long the wait for more tapings would have been if Justin had won his Friday game.
i was in the first taping group after alex's surgery. we taped on aug 22 for the shows that aired the last week of september, and then aug 23 for the shows that aired the first week of october.