Tuesday, May 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: I don't fault Joel too harshly on "napalm", as I did the same thing he did on that clue, hypothetically rang in knowing what word the clue was pointing too and assuming that nitroglycerin would come to me in time. Like him, I drew a blank, before pausing and giving it a few more seconds to finally come up with it. Obviously he didn't think napalm was right, he just threw something out there before time was up since nothing else was coming to him.
Here I was trying to count the letters in trinitrotoluene, because I thought nitroglycerin was too short... :roll:

Death on the Nile was an instant, and I'm somewhat surprised how little known it appears to be...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

First FJ I've missed in a while. I've read 90% of AC's mysteries but NOT that one. I have seen the PBS version. I was thinking Of Murder In Mesopotamia which was still way off. I missed the first 3 questions in comic books but knew the last ones. Homeland & Boss were the only ones in cable TV. They did seem to stay away from HBO.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Johnblue wrote:I missed the first 3 questions in comic books but knew the last ones.
Other way around for me.

And let it be known that I don't care for superheroes in general. None of them seem appealing to me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got Death on the Nile because my future opponent missed it in a DD when I was in the studio as an alternate. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3093 I can't remember if I went Oriental at the time or if the clue's mention of a boat just left me blank, but to Peter's credit he named another Christie title (however wrong). The title has stayed with me since then, and now I'm on a streak of five.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:... and now I'm on a streak of five.
And so it is I am in very good company.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Speaking of stuff I know from getting it wrong in previous J! experiences, I missed "tortoiseshell" in the first test I ever took in 2005, and the category was even "13-Letter Words." (I don't remember what the clue was, except that "comb" was in it.)
Sage on the Hudson

Christies who don't weigh three-hundred pounds

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

xxaaaxx wrote:Grrr. I wanted them to finish that Knight Wear category.
So did I. One of the best categories in a long time.

corvo wrote:Alex was probably right when he said that was the only Agatha Christie novel they knew.
I suspect that a couple of them have probably also heard of Witness for the Prosecution.

ACW wrote:"Sajak's house o' letters" :lol:
It should be Vanna's House of Letters; she is, after all, the one who actually reveals the letters (and is also much nicer to look at).

Magna wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:BTW, is it just me, or does "shows no one watches" seem to be a recurring theme in the questions this year? Perhaps it is just the proliferation of cable alternatives, but it seems like "shows no one watches" has become as much a part of the show's repertoire as Shakespeare.
Does Sony own a big interest in cable channels or production companies?
In short, no, though if Jeopardy! runs a clue that involves a film clip, odds are that it'll be from a Columbia film, since they're owned by Sony, who don't have to pay for their use (and maybe it'll also move a few DVD's off the shelves).

StevenH wrote:I had no idea on FJ. I said Murder on the Orient Express just to have something. I am not sure that I had ever heard of Death on the Nile. And I love how Alex made it sound like the locales of northeastern Africa that were mentioned in the clue were supposed to give it away; I feel pretty confident that all three contestants caught onto the Geography connection but had nothing better to guess.
Austin Powers wrote:Personally I got the FJ more because of the film (which has a stellar cast) than the book, which I've never so much as seen a copy of.
FJ was instantaneous, since I wrote the bonus materials on the DVD's of DEATH ON THE NILE, EVIL UNDER THE SUN (the second Peter Ustinov-Poirot film) and THE MIRROR CRACK'D (with Angela Lansbury as Miss Marple). Anchor Bay packaged the three as a Christie trilogy.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Austin Powers wrote:Personally I got the FJ more because of the film (which has a stellar cast) than the book, which I've never so much as seen a copy of.
Same here, although the location names all pointed to the Nile, and the Orient Express doesn't go near those things (never read MOTOE, but have read enough Ian Flemming to know where the Express does go!).

Knowint it was points on the Nile should have lead anyone who wanted to rattle off Christie titles to come up with the right one.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Sony's now owning the show might be partly why Audio Daily Doubles were phased out, there are not many audio clues on the show anymore.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

billy pilgrim wrote:Regarding the 'shackle' clue- I thought there was something about if you had started to answer before time ran out you could finish after. He clearly said 'Uh what is ...." before time ran out. Then shackle at or near the buzzer.
But if this were the rule, couldn't you simply ring in, say "what is...", and then take 20 minutes thinking of the response?

Do they no longer use the beep-beep-beep?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, I don't know what happened that the beep-beep-beep didn't sound. I re-ran it; the last light had definitely extinguished, and he then said "shackle".
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bpmod wrote:You can't give a rebound after a ruling.

Oh, wait! I guess you can.

Sheesh.

Brian
Why not? Why should the other players be penalized because the first one took too long? Alex did not say the response was correct. I'm sure this has happened before.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is one of the first books I remember reading; FJ was easy.

Joel had 3000 early in the first round, 3200 at the end. Hmm....
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Austin Powers wrote:BTW, is it just me, or does "shows no one watches" seem to be a recurring theme in the questions this year? Perhaps it is just the proliferation of cable alternatives, but it seems like "shows no one watches" has become as much a part of the show's repertoire as Shakespeare.
I tend to agree, mostly with the notion of "cable alternatives." Jeesh, there are soooo many shows on, that I don't see how anybody could keep up with all of them. Even knowing the basic premises of all of them seems a lot, but I imagine that has a lot to do with so much imitation/spinoff/no creativity. (n.b. Law and Order, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, Law and Order: Traffic Citations Division, Law and Order: Mall Shoplifting Division, and any others I may have missed.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Meanwhile, it was hard to imagine anyone (let alone all three) missing Death on the Nile, given the category and T-H-R-E-E (!) Egyptian (or at least Nile) place names in the clue. Oh well.

Congrats to the outgoing champ on a very nice run.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I ran the category, but then I've seen at least one episode of four of the shows in question. Of those, Homeland is the only one I continue to watch on a regular basis.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:Why not? Why should the other players be penalized because the first one took too long? Alex did not say the response was correct. I'm sure this has happened before.
He didn't need to. Just from the way he asked the question it was obvious that the response was a correct one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I joined the three players on the train to nowhere. I was half asleep watching the show and couldn't place any of the cities. I doubt I'd have gotten it right anyway, though I have heard of the book.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Christies who don't weigh three-hundred pounds

Post by Magna »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:FJ was instantaneous, since I wrote the bonus materials on the DVD's of DEATH ON THE NILE, EVIL UNDER THE SUN (the second Peter Ustinov-Poirot film) and THE MIRROR CRACK'D (with Angela Lansbury as Miss Marple). Anchor Bay packaged the three as a Christie trilogy.
So you're the one! :) They all seemed to have a common author. (My library has a good collection of Christie videos.)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Christies who don't weigh three-hundred pounds

Post by Magna »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
ACW wrote:"Sajak's house o' letters" :lol:
It should be Vanna's House of Letters; she is, after all, the one who actually reveals the letters (and is also much nicer to look at).
Oddly, the clue said they were available for $250 - but in the game, it costs no money to buy one.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Magna wrote:Oddly, the clue said they were available for $250 - but in the game, it costs no money to buy one.
Did WoF stop charging for vowels? (Besides, if you "buy" anything, doesn't some money become involved?)