Random Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Re: 3 Utterly Random Questions

Post by kristinsausville »

jpahk wrote:
kristinsausville wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:The season usually starts taping in late July and ends in April(the last regular games are taped in March but the May sweeps stuff usually tapes in April, i.e. the DC weeks this season). This season's games started taping a couple of weeks later because of ALex's injury, no?
Not sure -- all I know is that Justin's shows were taped one day (I want to say it was a Tuesday), and then Alex had his surgery the very next day. I don't know how long the wait for more tapings would have been if Justin had won his Friday game.
i was in the first taping group after alex's surgery. we taped on aug 22 for the shows that aired the last week of september, and then aug 23 for the shows that aired the first week of october.
It would have been really interesting to see what would have happened if Justin had won that last game then, since he didn't get home from Army training until the first week of September. Probably best for everyone it worked out the way it did.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

I'm sure it's possible to have a family member in the audience blinking answers to you in Morris Code, if you could see well enough to make out the eye movements of someone in the fourth or fifth row from the podium. But by the time your significant other blinked out "y-a-n-k-e-e-d-o-o-d-l-e-d-a-n-d-y" the buzzer would have sounded and Alex would be on to the next question. It's easier to just focus on the board and answer the questions yourself.

I left my cell phone in my purse along with everyone else's stuff in the green room closet. I don't remember there being any lockers, I wish there were. I was kind of worried that someone could walk in and take my handbag, leaving me stranded in LA with no money, credit cards or proof that I had a plane ticket home.

My Thursday & Friday shows were taped on December 14th, (broadcast April 12 &13) the Monday show was taped on the 19th. I remember someone (Corina?) saying that they don't ordinarily tape shows that late in December but had to because of Alex's surgery.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Now I've got a question: From a grammar standpoint, can "random" be modified with "utterly"? I know something can't be "very unique" or "rather unique"; it's either unique or it isn't. Does the same go for "random" as well?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Judy5cents wrote:I'm sure it's possible to have a family member in the audience blinking answers to you in Morris Code, if you could see well enough to make out the eye movements of someone in the fourth or fifth row from the podium. But by the time your significant other blinked out "y-a-n-k-e-e-d-o-o-d-l-e-d-a-n-d-y" the buzzer would have sounded and Alex would be on to the next question. It's easier to just focus on the board and answer the questions yourself.
Not that I paid much attention to the audience once the taping started (and I'm the same way when I'm on stage with the orchestra -- I'm aware that there is an audience, but not aware of the audience, if that makes sense). But the way the stage is laid out -- contestants not really facing the audience, and the game board and host's podium upstage, away from the audience) plus the fact that the audience isn't in any light would make it difficult to see a specific member (and the stage lights would be in your eyes). Plus it'd be dang obvious on the videotape that you were looking away from the board into the crowd.

I know when I was on WWTBAM back in 2000, they kept the "companions" of the contestants in the "ring of fire" on the back row of the side they were seated at. During one commercial break, I tried to turn around to look at my wife, and one of the staff gave me a terse admonition not to do that.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:Now I've got a question: From a grammar standpoint, can "random" be modified with "utterly"? I know something can't be "very unique" or "rather unique"; it's either unique or it isn't. Does the same go for "random" as well?
Those in the cryptography business make a big distinction between random and pseudorandom, as the latter can be prone to nonrandom behavior that can compromise cryptographic security (a recent example of this was a mind-bogglingly non-random pseudorandom number generator implemented in the Windows [doesn't it figger] implementation of OpenSSL). To that extent, "utterly random" does make some sense.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

"Utterly random" in this post title is used as an intensifier to emphasize the word random. Such usage is fine, imo, and doesn't really indicate that there are degrees of randomness (there aren't, at least in mathematics). Same with "very unique" or "most unique."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So what I'm getting from this...

3 random characters: j5y
3 utterly random characters: ¶£§

?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Volante wrote:So what I'm getting from this...

3 random characters: j5y
3 utterly random characters: ¶£§

?
You're clearly biased against some characters... you're a characterist.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I'm in the fifth game of the TOC and I hire a woman to sit in the audience and paint the wild card cutoff on her chest and flash me during the first commercial break, would I be disqualified?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:If I'm in the fifth game of the TOC and I hire a woman to sit in the audience and paint the wild card cutoff on her chest and flash me during the first commercial break, would I be disqualified?
The downside of that would be that your fellow players would get the same information you did. If I were going down this road, I would hire 3 women to paint 3 different numbers on their chests, and only I would know which one had the correct number. Plus, this way the PTB might assume that each of the 3 women was hired by one of the 3 players, and it is highly unlikely that they would disqualify all 3 contestants once the game has already started.

The real problem with this plan is that everyone would have to hire this hypothetical woman (or women) before finding out which of the 5 games they are going to be playing in, so of course if you're not picked to play in the 5th quarterfinal, her mammarical numerical display would be all for naught. For all we know, there have been dozens of women sitting in the audience during 5th quarterfinals of J! tournaments with all sorts of helpful information painted on their respective chests, but sadly it went unseen as the players for whom the info was intended received an unfortunate early quarterfinal draw.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Only here.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:If I'm in the fifth game of the TOC and I hire a woman to sit in the audience and paint the wild card cutoff on her chest and flash me during the first commercial break, would I be disqualified?
The downside of that would be that your fellow players would get the same information you did. If I were going down this road, I would hire 3 women to paint 3 different numbers on their chests, and only I would know which one had the correct number.
Simpler solution: hire one woman to flash very conspicuously; then, while she has everyone's attention except yours, have a nondescript co-conspirator hold up a sign from the other side of the audience.

Rex
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
The downside of that would be that your fellow players would get the same information you did. If I were going down this road, I would hire 3 women to paint 3 different numbers on their chests, and only I would know which one had the correct number. Plus, this way the PTB might assume that each of the 3 women was hired by one of the 3 players, and it is highly unlikely that they would disqualify all 3 contestants once the game has already started.

The real problem with this plan is that everyone would have to hire this hypothetical woman (or women) before finding out which of the 5 games they are going to be playing in, so of course if you're not picked to play in the 5th quarterfinal, her mammarical numerical display would be all for naught. For all we know, there have been dozens of women sitting in the audience during 5th quarterfinals of J! tournaments with all sorts of helpful information painted on their respective chests, but sadly it went unseen as the players for whom the info was intended received an unfortunate early quarterfinal draw.
But I would have the advantage of knowing it was going to happen, so I'd be more likely to notice the painted numbers rather than, well, whatever else she was showing.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Perhaps you can help me. I'm looking for people with way too much time on their hands. Would I find any here?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

RandyG wrote:Perhaps you can help me. I'm looking for people with way too much time on their hands. Would I find any here?
Nope. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Another question: When the champ loses, does s/he get the $1000/$2000 for 3rd/2nd?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ACW wrote:Another question: When the champ loses, does s/he get the $1000/$2000 for 3rd/2nd?
Absolutely.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Okay, does Jeopardy! ever have reruns on weekdays? Because right now Wheel is in repeats.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ACW wrote:Okay, does Jeopardy! ever have reruns on weekdays? Because right now Wheel is in repeats.
When the season's over, yep.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Volante wrote:
ACW wrote:Okay, does Jeopardy! ever have reruns on weekdays? Because right now Wheel is in repeats.
When the season's over, yep.
Wheel's rerun season starts today. The new seasons for WOF and J! start on September 17th. 8/3 is the J! season finale, and it will be Kids' week as discussed before. As to what J! will rerun in the six weeks of reruns, with 10 weeks of special shows(ToC, Teen, COllege, Teachers, Power PLayers, and Kids'), time will tell. Gotta figure the celebs get rerun.