Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by xxaaaxx »

"People have complained that I posted spoilers without warning, but rather than just admit to being inconsiderate, here's an article where I simply declare such complaints to be invalid. If what you're reading can be spoiled so easily, then next time pick a book that isn't so shallow. And hey, even if I have "spoiled" it, now you can enjoy it in a brand new way!"

Maybe I'm taking this the wrong way. Was that article supposed to be satire? I'm not very good at detecting subtlety.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I don't think so. I read it as "spoilers aren't as bad as they're cracked up to be."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

xxaaaxx wrote:
"People have complained that I posted spoilers without warning, but rather than just admit to being inconsiderate, here's an article where I simply declare such complaints to be invalid. If what you're reading can be spoiled so easily, then next time pick a book that isn't so shallow. And hey, even if I have "spoiled" it, now you can enjoy it in a brand new way!"

Maybe I'm taking this the wrong way. Was that article supposed to be satire? I'm not very good at detecting subtlety.
I don't know. I think you summed it up perfectly.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote:

It's not satire. He's just making excuses for pissing off his readership.

What jerkwad, I mean, respected NY times opinion/blog writer, fails to grasp is that there's a world of difference between giving the reader a choice to read the spoiler and just flat out going Hamlet dies!

Also: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/67394 ... iler-rules (Movies not included; IMO they get until one week after being on Netflix...as the window's like, 3 months long these days...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:What jerkwad, I mean, respected NY times opinion/blog writer, fails to grasp is that there's a world of difference between giving the reader a choice to read the spoiler and just flat out going Hamlet dies!

Also: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/67394 ... iler-rules (Movies not included; IMO they get until one week after being on Netflix...as the window's like, 3 months long these days...)
What!?!? Hamlet???! Dies?!?!!?

BTW, that clip is priceless. Except... Pig Latin, no; Mandarin, yes??

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

xxaaaxx wrote:

My subtlety detector regularly malfunctions as well. (as does my sarcasm detector, but I think they're two functions of the same device)

Personally, I guess it's the kind of spoiler that I'm worried about being spoiled on - isn't a problem with books, movies, even most TV shows, as there's really only one type of spoiler (plot), but with J!, I don't mind getting spoiled on results (which is why I don't mind going to jeopardy.com every now and then because the spoiler powers of the weekly clip have no effect on me), but I do mind getting spoiled on clues.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Spam Alert!

Post by Rex Kramer »

In which "In Search of Lost Time" takes on a whole new meaning . . . Father Time

Rex
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Gov't incompetence I can live with.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/arti ... z1wRWaHUYN
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Your trivia fact of the day

Post by dhkendall »

Today, Samoa celebrates 50 years of independence. However, today is not the 50th anniversary of its independence from New Zealand; it actually achieved independence on January 1, 1962. I haven't seen an official explanation as to why it's not celebrated on the actual date (although my guess is that January 1 is already a thing (New Year's Day)), but June 1 is when independence is always celebrated and is Samoa's national holiday.

There are other countries that have Jan. 1 as an independence date (like Haiti and Sudan), but they do use that date as their Independence Day celebrations. There are also other countries that use a different date than the anniversary of independence to celebrate with (like the Irish using the feast day of their patron saint, and Cuba and Libya under Qaddafi (I don't know when their new national day is) the anniversary of the revolution that brought their (then) current form of government), but, as far as I know, the Samoans just picked June 1 out of thin air (and I can't think of any others at the moment that have their national holiday on a day that doesn't seem to have any national significance).

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

cheezguyty

Re: Your trivia fact of the day

Post by cheezguyty »

dhkendall wrote:I haven't seen an official explanation as to why it's not celebrated on the actual date
Moon Handbooks South Pacific says "Though Samoa actually attained independence on January 1, 1962, the celebrations are held in June to avoid total paralysis around Christmas", while Anniversaries and Holidays by Bernard Trawicky claims that Independence Day is "Observed in June to avoid the Jan. rains".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cheezguyty wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I haven't seen an official explanation as to why it's not celebrated on the actual date
Moon Handbooks South Pacific says "Though Samoa actually attained independence on January 1, 1962, the celebrations are held in June to avoid total paralysis around Christmas", while Anniversaries and Holidays by Bernard Trawicky claims that Independence Day is "Observed in June to avoid the Jan. rains".
But it still doesn't fall into the same category as places like Ireland (feast day of patron saint), Cuba (Communist revolution), South Africa (first democratic elections), and Australia (arrival of first Europeans), as their specific dates has a special national significance to celebrate their national holiday on; June 1 is still just a randomly chosen date that's not near Christmas/the rainy season.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:
But it still doesn't fall into the same category as places like Ireland (feast day of patron saint), Cuba (Communist revolution), South Africa (first democratic elections), and Australia (arrival of first Europeans), as their specific dates has a special national significance to celebrate their national holiday on; June 1 is still just a randomly chosen date that's not near Christmas/the rainy season.
Just because it's not a good (for personally assigned value of 'good') official reason doesn't mean it's not an official reason.

The official reason ketchup is a vegetable is because it's part tomato. Does that make it a good reason? No. But it's still the official reason.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote:But it still doesn't fall into the same category as places like Ireland (feast day of patron saint), Cuba (Communist revolution), South Africa (first democratic elections), and Australia (arrival of first Europeans), as their specific dates has a special national significance to celebrate their national holiday on; June 1 is still just a randomly chosen date that's not near Christmas/the rainy season.
Just because it's not a good (for personally assigned value of 'good') official reason doesn't mean it's not an official reason.

The official reason ketchup is a vegetable is because it's part tomato. Does that make it a good reason? No. But it's still the official reason.
Not saying it's not an official reason. Just saying that it's a unique official reason, in that no other country (that I know of) has a national holiday on a date other than either the anniversary of independence or an otherwise important national event. Am quite happy with the government having this reason (although I haven't seen any "official" sources to say why it's in June, just cheezguyty's book links) because it's unique. And that's what makes trivia.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

dhkendall wrote:Not saying it's not an official reason. Just saying that it's a unique official reason, in that no other country (that I know of) has a national holiday on a date other than either the anniversary of independence or an otherwise important national event.
In the UK and most commonwealth countries that celebrate it, the Queen's Birthday is officially celebrated in either May or June, although actually she was born in April. The official celebration is scheduled for the summer months because the weather is usually more favorable then.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Nothing to see here.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

jeff6286 wrote:Nothing to see here.
yup.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

xxaaaxx wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:REDACTED
So you balance out your good fortune by posting in the wrong thread? :mrgreen:
Oops, I don't even know how I got to this thread, yet alone posted in it. Sorry about that if I accidentally spoiled the FJ clue for anyone.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Magna wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Not saying it's not an official reason. Just saying that it's a unique official reason, in that no other country (that I know of) has a national holiday on a date other than either the anniversary of independence or an otherwise important national event.
In the UK and most commonwealth countries that celebrate it, the Queen's Birthday is officially celebrated in either May or June, although actually she was born in April. The official celebration is scheduled for the summer months because the weather is usually more favorable then.
Yes, but "the Queen" in that context, and whose birthday is so celebrated, was born May 24th and her name was Victoria.

Brian

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

I may have found the explanation, from this blog post written by David Huebner, U.S. Ambassador to Samoa (an extension of the Ambassador to New Zealand post). It states that "Independence Day is now celebrated each year on June 1st because the Samoan flag was first raised on 1 June 1948, the date that the territory began the gradual process of transitioning out of Kiwi trusteeship."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
Magna wrote:
Yes, but "the Queen" in that context, and whose birthday is so celebrated, was born May 24th and her name was Victoria.

Brian
Actually, that seems to only be a Canadian thing - since Victoria was the Queen that gave us Dominionhood (what we celebrate as Canada Day, not really our independence Day, but close enough for the outsider) we celebrate the reigning soverign's official birthday on hers. As Magna pointed out, other Commonwealth realms use other dates, I believe the UK itself uses a date in June. (I beleive even the Falklands, being a British colony, use the June date, although I can only imagine what the weather is like then ... )

So, all Commonwealth countries, even Canada, celebrate QEII's birthday, but on the "wrong" date (which differs by nation).