Friday, June 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote:
Vanya wrote:He's been a testy lately.
I don't think that's the correct singular.
Damn it Seaborgium, you stole my joke!
Johnblue wrote:During one of my tryouts in the 90's, one of the other guys who scored well on the test was ejected from the tryout. It turned out he had been on the show a couple of seasons before. I'm not sure how he thought he would get by the contestant staff but I guess this Kirby character was able to do so.
Maybe he wore the same shirt and tie, and it was the shirt that got him caught. Clearly they don't pay attention to the tie.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Vanya wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

I still don't get how Kirby got back on. Do they not maintain a database of contestants with social security numbers and everything?
I don't think anyone gets how he got back on. ONe would think they would have a computerized database.
Maybe Jeff hacked into it.
He should have hacked into the archive.
thepratshow

Post by thepratshow »

I'm going to try to get back on. I'll just wear a fake beard and glasses. NO ONE WILL EVER NOTICE.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Vanya wrote:He's been a testy lately.
I don't think that's the correct singular.
Damn it Seaborgium, you stole my joke!
That reminds me of that Jeff Foxworthy joke where he says his wife is such a hypochondriac and always has whatever new disease they're discussing on the news. "You do not have testicular cancer. You don't even have testiculars!"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Got final more out of dumb luck than anything. 'Ambush' came to mind first, 'guerrilla' about halfway through, but guerre is 'war' so discarded it. I could never have justified ambush though.

And was anyone else thinking a 'burrito architect' would be found at...
Spoiler
Chipotle?...
Still, I prefer that over "sandwich artist." (Yeah, that's art like a Duchamp fountain is art...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

It could also be Moe's Southwest Grill.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Qdoba?

(What kind of name is that, anyway? That's the kind of name I expect Linkara to say "Because poor literacy is kewl!" on.)
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Freebirds? Since it even has burrito in the name of the restaurant.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

My FJ train of thought went first to "bois" but I couldn't find anything there, then I thought of "buche" as in "Buche de Noel", the Yule Log cake. From there, ambush.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

debramc wrote:Freebirds? Since it even has burrito in the name of the restaurant.
Freebirds is a Texas thing, mostly, and apparently he is from Texas. Just don't see it...I've been going to Freebirds since there was only one in existenceand just can't see it fitting with their hippie vibe.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:Basically, it looks like, "We aren't going to bother taking you to court or suing you, because that wouldn't be worth our time, effort, and money, but we can and will ensure that we take back your winnings and ensure that you never appear on our show of profit from said appearance ever."
I was half-joking about asking for translation, but I do believe that that is what they mean and, although it seems harsh, it certainly is the kind of 'threat' that would keep most people in compliance.

They do keep things under wraps for a reason after all. I'm interested to see how this plays out. (I am not even tempted to check out said page, and don't anybody get any ideas about posting it around these parts.)

Brian
Actually the quoted contract language means almost the exact opposite of that. This will be a very brief explanation of a fairly complicated legal issue. At common law- which is very much alive here- there were two types of courts. The legal and the equitable. At law you could only seek damages- for example someone negligently harmed you. The equity side allowed for injunctions- and manmy other types of relief. An action for breach of contract generally can only seek money damages. The quoted language allows Sony to seek equitable relief - like enjoining any future disclosure etc.- because you generally have to prove that money damages are not sufficient to remedy a breach. The quoted language concedes that. So actually it means Sony will seek an injunction and all other relief. It's not at all saying Sony won't sue you.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

lisa0012 wrote:
debramc wrote:Freebirds? Since it even has burrito in the name of the restaurant.
Freebirds is a Texas thing, mostly, and apparently he is from Texas. Just don't see it...I've been going to Freebirds since there was only one in existenceand just can't see it fitting with their hippie vibe.
I can tell you that Freebirds has reached California (Orange), although I don't know what other states it might have invaded.
OCSam
ronk
Contributor

Post by ronk »

OrangeSAM wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:
I can tell you that Freebirds has reached California (Orange), although I don't know what other states it might have invaded.
I happened to attend this taping. DJ is a supervisor at a Freebirds in Houston, I believe. The first Freebirds was in Isla Vista, CA. The partners parted ways, one went to Texas and started the chain. There's 8 or 10 in California, at least. The original in IV is still there but is unaffiliated with the chain.
thepratshow

Post by thepratshow »

At the time of the taping, I was a manager at Freebirds in Houston. Since then I've moved up to assistant general manager in Rosenberg, TX.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

lisa0012 wrote:
So apparently I was right, but I'm curious - was it the "burrito architect" bit or DJ in general that you didn't see as going together? To me, both fit very well with the Freebirds vibe. (Disclaimer - I've never been inside a Freebirds, but I've certainly seen several of them, and worked across the street from one for a couple years, and known lots of devotees, etc. You actually went to school in the location of the first one in Texas, so probably have much more hands-on experience. :D )
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OrangeSAM wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:

I've never seen one or even heard of the company.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

debramc wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:
So apparently I was right, but I'm curious - was it the "burrito architect" bit or DJ in general that you didn't see as going together? To me, both fit very well with the Freebirds vibe. (Disclaimer - I've never been inside a Freebirds, but I've certainly seen several of them, and worked across the street from one for a couple years, and known lots of devotees, etc. You actually went to school in the location of the first one in Texas, so probably have much more hands-on experience. :D )
I just didn't think Freebirds would use the term. It has a very laid back vibe and the phrase seems too corny- reminds me of Subway, so I was thinking Chipotle or something. I've also eaten there hundreds of times and never seen or heard it. I stand corrected. I shall stop by my nearest Freebirds and eat my usual as payment for my mistake...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote:Word Origins
From the French for "To set in the woods", this word refers to a type of attack.
Spoiler
What is ambush? Claudia and John had no guess; D.J. said siege.

D.J. Perry (Burrito architect): $13,600-$13,201=$399
John Baker: $13,400-$5,700=$7,700
Claudia Gray: $9,000-$1,000=$8,000...now a 1-day champion with $8,000
Later that night, another word of French origin and similar meaning would win the annual Scripps Spelling Bee.

Could you have spelled "goot-up-un"? I could not have.
Spoiler
guetapens
-M
thepratshow

Post by thepratshow »

It's worth noting that the term "burrito architect" was something I came up with and not a term actually used to refer to Freebirds employees. I was encouraged to be creative. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Reminds me of being in the green room when "gadabout" was deemed better than "bon vivant," and "self-proclaimed gadabout" better still.