Richard Dawson dies

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Richard Dawson dies

Post by Bamaman »

http://news.yahoo.com/richard-dawson-fa ... 46539.html
hard Dawson, an actor and TV host best known for his work on the game show "Family Feud" and sitcom "Hogan's Heroes," has died from complications of esophageal cancer. He was 79.
I liked him on Match Games and while funny on Family Feud, the kissing everyone was a little creepy.

2011 Teachers Tournament (Season 27)-Held in May:
$16,400 (Elisabeth Raab)
$8,399 (Judd Hess)

2012A Teachers Tournament (Season 28)-Held in February:
$12,799 (Leslie Decker)
$11,700 (Elissa Hoffman)

2012B Teachers Tournament (Season 29)-Held in November
$11,601 (Whitney Collins)
$10,000 (Diana North)

2013 Teachers Tournament (Season 30)-Held in November
$16,400 (Katie Moriarty)
$13,800 (Michael Townes)

Averages (4 Tournaments):
Average lowest score to get a wild card: $14,300
Average highest score not to get a wild card: $10,975
Last edited by Bamaman on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Richard Dawson dies

Post by Volante »

Ahh, what would standards and practices have to say about this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNoV_kSe7Dk#!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:Ahh, what would standards and practices have to say about this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNoV_kSe7Dk#!
I love that clip. I'm amazed he ever got through it.

"Ah, the hell with that!"
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Haven't seen the clip before, I would have given anything to have him finally get that question out (ideally without him referencing the first person's answer at all) and have the second person venture a guess of "September?"

And I do always associate Dawson with the Feud and vice-versa, didn't know of his much more extensive game show pedigree.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

He's still Cpl. Newkirk to me.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:He's still Cpl. Newkirk to me.
That's the thing, I'm a Hogan's Heros fan, I know the guy who plays Newkirk is Richard Dawson, but I never, until now, put two and two together that they were the same person! It's all so obvious when I look at it ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Oy vey! And since this is the Board of Corrections, it's Hogan's Heroes (with the 'e').

I was always amused that the Nazis on the show (Klink, Schultz, Burkhalter, and Hochstetter) were played by Jewish actors (as was LeBeau).
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

alietr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:That's the thing, I'm a Hogan's Heros fan...
And since this is the Board of Corrections, it's Hogan's Heroes (with the 'e').
Then explain to me why they were always in a hurry not to miss the sub.

Hooooogaaaan!!!!! How many times have I told you, no onions!?!?!?
[insert unspellable sound of exasperation and fist waving gesture here]
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

alietr wrote:Oy vey! And since this is the Board of Corrections, it's Hogan's Heroes (with the 'e').

I was always amused that the Nazis on the show (Klink, Schultz, Burkhalter, and Hochstetter) were played by Jewish actors (as was LeBeau).

Considering the context of the show. I doubt any German actor would have been willing to take on one of those roles. I guess we though it was all right, because the Germanys looked like bafoons. It was only 20 years after WWII. The show never broadcast in Germany until the mid 90's. When it did, they changed a lot of stuff around. All the "heil hitlers" were replaced with lines like "how tall is corn?"
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

Back in the Dark Ages, when there was no such thing as the Internet, and cable television was in its infancy, my friends & I wasted our spare time during the summer term at college watching re-runs of Start Trek & Hogan's Heroes, and the Match Game, which is by far, the funniest game show ever. And it kills me that the only fill in the blank I can remember is "Trench ____________." Richard Dawson was hysterical.

See for yourself. I found it on youtube and it's still funny. Ignore the awful 70s clothes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYavIFqFwIw
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Judy5cents wrote:Back in the Dark Ages, when there was no such thing as the Internet, and cable television was in its infancy, my friends & I wasted our spare time during the summer term at college watching re-runs of Start Trek & Hogan's Heroes, and the Match Game, which is by far, the funniest game show ever. And it kills me that the only fill in the blank I can remember is "Trench ____________." Richard Dawson was hysterical.

See for yourself. I found it on youtube and it's still funny. Ignore the awful 70s clothes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYavIFqFwIw
I actually have the Best of Match Game DVD set, which is a non-stop laugh and also features an unknown Kirstie Alley as a contestant.
Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb »

Sherm wrote:
alietr wrote:Oy vey! And since this is the Board of Corrections, it's Hogan's Heroes (with the 'e').

Considering the context of the show. I doubt any German actor would have been willing to take on one of those roles. I guess we though it was all right, because the Germanys looked like bafoons. It was only 20 years after WWII. The show never broadcast in Germany until the mid 90's. When it did, they changed a lot of stuff around. All the "heil hitlers" were replaced with lines like "how tall is corn?"
The actors, Klemperer, Banner and Clary in particular, took the parts because they were satisfied that the Nazi characters were going to be written as idiots. Klemperer had been especially reluctant until the writers assured him he could have plenty of input into making Klink a dupe.