Guesstimania Final Jeopardy

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Guesstimania Final Jeopardy

Post by alietr »

Let's see if there's any interest in this. What I'm thinking of doing is having a contest as follows: You have to guess the results of the upcoming week's Final Jeopardy responses. You would receive one point for the absolute value of each percentage that your guess varies from the actual poll results for each of the five Final Jeopardy clues for the week. So, for example, if you guessed 40 on Monday's question, and the poll ended up being 52, you would get 12 points. If you guessed 64, you would still get 12 points. Your total will be the total of the five questions (none of the extra questions), and the person with the lowest number of points wins. No, you do NOT get the JBoarder of the Month's parking space if you win! Entries would have to be received before the poll goes up, which is usually 6:00 Eastern on Saturday (yeah, a short window to get your entry in, I know, but I can't think of a way around that). We will consider the poll results to be "final" the following Saturday. Everyone will be on their HONOR not to screw around with their poll responses (not that any one person could affect it much anyway). If you think you'd be interested, please post here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Guesstimania Final Jeopardy

Post by econgator »

Why not?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm in.
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

Sounds interesting. :P
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Sure!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Given my historical performance on TD's and GM's, I'm probably just as well off coming up with the answers blindly.

So, in a display of extreme bravado and/or stupidity, I'll be PM'ing my answers shortly (didn't think you would need that spreadsheet until Friday, did you, Alietr?)

- HackenSeer
Last edited by HugoZ on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:No, you do NOT get the JBoarder of the Month's parking space if you win!
Then I'm not entering. :mrgreen:

Gee, I have been trying to get on there for months. What's a guy need to do?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Um, pay yourself?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

So that I'm clear, we PM you our guesses in the time after Friday's game and before I post the poll? 6 Eastern is not accurate for the poll being posted on Saturday. It's closer to a seven minute window from 4:55 to 5:02 Pacific. Sometimes the board time may not be accurate depending on being set to EST or EDT for each user?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

bpmod wrote:
alietr wrote:No, you do NOT get the JBoarder of the Month's parking space if you win!
Then I'm not entering. :mrgreen:

Gee, I have been trying to get on there for months. What's a guy need to do?

Brian
That's good. I currently have my hummer parked diagonally, taking up two and a half spots. I think I may have scratched dhkendall's Toyota when I parked it.

If I'm not busy Friday/Saturday, I would certainly play the Guesstimania game.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yes, Mark. Watch the game, see what FJ was for that day, and then compile your responses before the poll is posted. I thought it was around 6:00, but you probably know better than me.

Since there has been some confusion, the idea is to figure out the poll responses. You're allowed to know what all of the FJ's were so you can judge how easy or difficult they were. Submitting entries now is entirely premature. This whole idea arose from Mr. Kendall thinking the ambush question would make the Toughest FJ poll (snicker, snicker), me, in turn, guessing that it would poll around 40% (somewhat difficult), and yet it is currently at 61% (around average).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Should we not read the daily threads, since we'd see people commenting on how they did on FJ and would be guilty of research?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Reading the threads is fine. This game is not intended to diminish your enjoyment of JBoard, but instead to enhance it. Any comments in the daily threads can only help you.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Of course if people really want to win this game, they might restrain themselves somewhat from comments that they might normally make in the daily threads. Lots of people usually mention in each day's show thread whether or not they got FJ correct, what their thought processes were, what incorrect guesses they made, etc. I would never expect anyone to give an inaccurate statement in order to throw others off, but I could see someone choosing simply not to mention how easy/difficult they found a particular FJ. Imagine if TPH mentions 5 days in a row that he found FJ to be an instaget. What kind of predictions would we all make then?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote:Imagine if TPH mentions 5 days in a row that he found FJ to be an instaget. What kind of predictions would we all make then?
Depends if it's a country music themed question or not :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote:Imagine if TPH mentions 5 days in a row that he found FJ to be an instaget. What kind of predictions would we all make then?
100/100/100/100/100
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Once you watch today's program, you can send your guesses in. I think putting them in this thread in spoilers is adequate. As long as people promise not to peek!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote:Once you watch today's program, you can send your guesses in. I think putting them in this thread in spoilers is adequate. As long as people promise not to peek!
Maybe we should start a new thread each week with the date in title.
OCSam
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Here are the questions (you're welcome to look if you've watched the whole week):
Spoiler
Monday: Very different places, the first 2 African nations to gain independence from a European power were Egypt & this one.
Tuesday: 1 of the first 2 women in Hollywood to own a studio. (According to the official bio of no. 3, Oprah)
Wednesday: Between January 1, 1841 & December 31, 1850 the U.S. had this many Presidents, the most in a 10-year Period.
Thursday: Formed in 1909, it performed to great acclaim in Paris, London, New York & Monte Carlo, but never in Moscow.
Friday: In an 1837 Thomas Hardy serial, a chapter ends with a character dangling from an "enormous sea-bord" this.
Good luck!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

My guesstimates:
Spoiler
Monday: 33%
Tuesday: 40%
Wednesday: 22%
Thursday: 16%
Friday: 69%
wow- they all seemed tough, but I still nailed em all!