Tuesday, June 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6392, 2012-06-05

CONTESTANTS
Ed Hanlon, a graphic designer from Santa Monica, California
Fran Frederick, a school counselor and member of the Air National Guard from West Springfield, Massachusetts
Claudia Gray, a substitute teacher from Monrovia, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $24,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Yesterday was kind of an up and down competition on Jeopardy! But not for our champion Claudia, who got off to a good start and led from start to finish throughout the match. So, Fran and Ed, you've got your work cut out for you today. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Claudia will pick first from these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT'S APENNINE (4/5)
YACHTS (3/3)
HOME ALONE? (4/5) (Alex: We want you to name the child left behind after his or her siblings have gone away.)
ADD A LETTER (4/5)
CELEBRATIONS OF THE MONTH (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MEDICAL HISTORY (5/5) (Jimmy: The triumphs of the doctors and the patience of the patients--from Chicago's International Museum of Surgical Science.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ed: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Fran: 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Claudia: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Fran found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Claudia had $200, Fran had $3,200, and Ed was at $2,000. Fran wagered $1,000.

CELEBRATIONS OF THE MONTH $600: Freedom of Information Day & National Pi Day (the math kind)
(Fran: What is June?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Fran: $2,200
Ed: $2,000
Claudia: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ed Hanlon is a graphic designer who, as a challenge to himself, I guess, every year, tries to, uh, come up with a "card-toon" spoof. What are we talking about here?

Ed: Well, instead of a traditional paper, uh, Christmas card, I've tried to put my animation degree to some use and make an actual animated Christmas cartoon, which features Santa Claus and some of his friends, usually in, uh, rather, uh, interesting situations, a lot of movie spoofs, uh--

Alex: Did you put Santa Claus in Apocalypse Now?

Ed: I did. [Laughs]

Alex: Oh.

Ed: As well as Die Hard, Fargo, Hunt for Red October, many others.

Alex: Okay. It sounds like fun.

Alex: Fran Frederick from west Springfield, Massachusetts. National guard member who had a strange experience when you were posted.

Fran: Yeah.

Alex: Tell us about that.

Fran: Well, Alex, I was using the female-only porta potty, uh, and a gentleman came knocking at the door. And I was getting ready to come out and just give him a piece of my mind, uh, but it turns out, he was the individual who was driving the crane that was picking it up to move it across the street.

[Laughter]

Fran: So I appreciated the heads-up. I didn't want to come home with that injury. I don't think you get a Purple Heart for that.

Alex: [Laughs] Yes, you're right.

Alex: Claudia Gray is our champion. Uh, we've all done a lot of traveling, and we've run into problems dealing with foreign languages. You had an experience like that in Italy, right...

Claudia: Yes.

Alex: At a restaurant?

Claudia: The first time I was in Italy, at a restaurant, oh, a couple of blocks from the Vatican, I went in to order something called gnocchi...

Alex: Gnocchi, yeah.

Claudia: Which are little potato dumplings.

Alex: Right. They're great.

Claudia: I mispronounced it and said noci, which are walnuts.

Alex: They brought me a bowl of walnuts and asked me if I was sure I wanted them with pesto sauce, which I did not. So I attempted to explain that what I wanted were made of potatoes. I used the Spanish papas, which means I said I wanted them made from the pope.

[Laughter]

Alex: I won't even ask you to continue the story.

Claudia: Yeah.

Alex: I-I don't want--I don't want to know where that ended.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT'S APENNINE $800: Calderone, on the ice-covered north slope of Mount Corno, is the southernmost one of these in Italy
(Claudia: What is a volcano?)
(Alex: It's hard to imagine in a way, but it's [*].)

HOME ALONE? $800: Darlene & Becky
(Alex: On Roseanne--[*].)

ADD A LETTER $600: Add a letter to an antlered critter to get this verb meaning "to discourage from acting"

CELEBRATIONS OF THE MONTH $800: Moon Day & Stay Out of the Sun Day
(Claudia: What is June?)
(Alex: Stay out of the sun? [*], it's hot!)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Fran: $5,200
Ed: $2,800
Claudia: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANCIENT MOVIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
1960s BESTSELLERS (5/5)
ALTARED STATES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Notice the spelling there.)
AN ARMY OF OLIVERS (5/5)
"AY"! (4/5)
SIT ON IT (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ed: 9 R, 0 W
Claudia: 9 R, 0 W
Fran: 8 R, 3 W (including 2 DDs)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Fran snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Claudia had $2,400, Fran had $6,000, and Ed was at $4,400. Fran wagered $2,000.

ANCIENT MOVIES $1200: Ye gods! Sea monsters, Medusa & Hades are but a few of the villains in this 2010 remake of a 1981 film
(Fran: What is Chariots of the Gods?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Fran who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Claudia had $6,400, Fran had $9,600, and Ed was at $6,400. Fran wagered $1,600.

ALTARED STATES $2000: Shaker Heights Community United Church of Christ
(Fran: What is Illinois?)
(Alex: Oh, no. Shaker Heights, well known area in [*], just outside of Cleveland.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"AY"! $2000: East Indies is another name for this archipelago
(Alex: The "A-Y" appears in the [*] Archipelago.)

SIT ON IT $1600: Vehicular name for an enclosed portable chair borne on poles & carried by 2 people
(Fran: What is a litter?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Claudia: $12,400
Fran: $10,400
Ed: $10,400

PREFINAL REMARKS
(After the Jeopardy! Round, Sarah Whitcomb of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew delivers a footnote about the perfusion pump.)
Charles Lindbergh could take apart and reassemble a shotgun before he could read. When a doctor told him that the heart can't be repaired because it can't be stopped and restarted, Lindbergh worked for years on keeping hearts alive outside the body with what he called a perfusion pump, an indirect ancestor of artificial hearts of later decades.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN IN ENTERTAINMENT

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place; prisoner's dilemma between the two 2nd place contestants.
Claudia: Wager $8,401 to cover Fran and Ed.
Fran: You have only two rational options. Either wager $0 if you think the clue will be a Triple Stumper or all $10,400 if you think you will get the clue right.
Ed: Your score is the same as Fran's and your wagering suggestion is the same as well. It's all or nothing.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1 of the first 2 women in Hollywood to own a studio (according to the official bio of No. 3, Oprah)

FINAL SCORES
Ed: $10,400 + $10,400 = $20,800 (Who is Lucille Ball? Mary Pickford?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Fran: $10,400 + $10,000 = $20,400 (Who is Mary Pickford) (3rd place: $1,000)
Claudia: $12,400 + $8,401 = $20,801 (Who is Mary Pickford?) (3-day champion: $45,202)
(Alex: One was a silent film star and the other was a big television star.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Fran: $15,000, 17 R, 5 W (including 3 DDs)
Claudia: $12,400, 14 R, 2 W
Ed: $10,400, 18 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $37,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Ed: 19/58 = .328
Fran: 18/61 = .295
Claudia: 15/58 = .259
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HOME ALONE? $400: Dewey, Francis, Reese, Jamie
(Alex: Yes, [*] in the Middle[/i].)

WHAT'S APENNINE $1000: One division of the Apennines is called the Sicilian range & this is its highest peak
(Alex: [*], now we're talking about a volcano.)

HOME ALONE? $600: Chris & Stewie
(Alex: On Family Guy, yeah.)

HOME ALONE? $1000: Nate & David
(Alex: [*], on Six Feet Under, correct.)

MEDICAL HISTORY $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us an iron lung at the Int'l Museum of Surgical Science in Chicago.) The iron lung was used when normal breathing was impossible due to lack of muscle control; it was once a standard treatment for this disease that was tamed by vaccines in the 1950s

MEDICAL HISTORY $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew holds a medical device at the Int'l Museum of Surgical Science in Chicago.) French surgeon Alexis Carrel invented the perfusion pump, an early type of artificial heart, with the help of this American aviator, who was a mechanic from earliest boyhood

MEDICAL HISTORY $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows us statues at the Int'l Museum of Surgical Science in Chicago.) The Hall of Immortals honors medical pioneers, like Madame Curie, ancient Egypt's Imhotep, &
of course, this man, born in Greece around 460 B.C.
(Ed: Who is Alexander the Great?)

CELEBRATIONS OF THE MONTH $1000: Wear Red Day & National Cherry Pie Day
(Alex: You got it, with a minute to go.)

ADD A LETTER $200: Add a letter to a word for a man engaged to be married to get this word for the field of money matters
(Fran: What is financier?)

YACHTS $600: In 2011 police briefly reopened the case of this movie star's 1981 drowning just off the yacht Splendour
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

ALTARED STATES $400: St. Patrick's Cathedral, opened 1879
(Alex: That's the state for that altar.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
March
a glacier
DJ
deter
July
Clash of the Titans
Ohio
Malay
a sedan chair
Mary Pickford or Lucille Ball
Malcolm
Mt. Etna
Meg
Claire
polio
(Charles) Lindbergh
Hippocrates
February
finance
Natalie Wood
New York
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Women in Entertainment
1 of the first 2 women in Hollywood to own a studio. (According to the official bio of no. 3, Oprah)
Spoiler
Who is Mary Pickford or Lucille Ball? All 3 players said Mary Pickford. Ed also had Lucille Ball crossed out.
Claudia Gray: $12,400+$8,401=$20,801...now a 3-day champion with $45,202
Fran Frederick: $10,400+$10,000=$20,400
Ed Hanlon: $10,400+$10,400=$20,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wow. Claudia won. I'm shocked.

I'm surprised FJ wasn't a video spoken by Oprah.

I got both on FJ. A nice game and a bad bet by the Air Force lady, wound up costing her $1,000.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Wow. Claudia won. I'm shocked.
I know, right? I wonder how she'll do tomorrow? Oh, wait, I already know! :)

I named them both for FJ, just because.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Well I got murdered on this game, although Lucille Ball was a headslapper FJ for me. Did well on altars and chairs, horrible at most other things.

Man, Alex kinda rubbed it in on the missed Shaker Heights DD, huh?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Near-Instaget with Pickford. Maybe, MAYBE I could've come up with Lucy, but I was too focused on movie studios, and stopped when I had my answer.

Watching them avoid Yachts like the plague was hilarious, especially given how easy it turned out to be.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

It's too bad Claudia advertised that she won, since that took all the suspense out of whether or not the middle player's rather suboptimal bet would actually prove costly. I mean, it cost her $1000, but it could have cost her much more.

I thought this board was a bit too much on the easy side. The hardest category was about TV siblings, followed by chairs, so they seemed to want to reward people who sit on their asses all days. I'm not sure how the J round wasn't finished since the contestants really didn't have much trouble with the board, either.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $45,202, Claudia moves into tenth place in the 2011-13 ToC standings . . . or maybe not!

Has any contestant ever crossed out one possible correct answer in FJ & written another correct answer? Given the level of Jeopardy! knowledge possessed by the members of this board, I'm sure someone will come up with an example in just a few minutes.
Last edited by Frank Hardy on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Frank Hardy wrote:With three wins & $45,202, Claudia moves into tenth place in the 2011-13 ToC standings . . . or maybe not!
Will Claudia remain in 10th place after tomorrow's episode? Who knows? But I know I'll be watching!!!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

That was quite an entertaining and exciting game, as all 3 players were battling for the lead down the stretch, and all 3 scores were multiples of $400 so there was a strong possibility of any or all of the players ending up tied.

For everyone who has been to Claudia's Facebook page and is aware of the spoiler, did anyone think to send her a message alerting her that she might want to take that down, warning her that Sony could conceivably attempt to withhold payment of her winnings if she has broken the non-disclosure agreement? I guess it might be a little late now, as I meant to mention this last Friday but forgot about it. (Unless the spoiler says that she wins 8 or 10 games, in which case someone should definitely send her that message now!)

Does anyone know if chemotherapy would have also been acceptable for the clue whose correct response was radiation?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

jeff6286 wrote:That was quite an entertaining and exciting game, as all 3 players were battling for the lead down the stretch, and all 3 scores were multiples of $400 so there was a strong possibility of any or all of the players ending up tied.

For everyone who has been to Claudia's Facebook page and is aware of the spoiler, did anyone think to send her a message alerting her that she might want to take that down, warning her that Sony could conceivably attempt to withhold payment of her winnings if she has broken the non-disclosure agreement? I guess it might be a little late now, as I meant to mention this last Friday but forgot about it. (Unless the spoiler says that she wins 8 or 10 games, in which case someone should definitely send her that message now!)

Does anyone know if chemotherapy would have also been acceptable for the clue whose correct response was radiation?
Ok, so I don't remember the actual question, but I will still say no, since they are different things. One is a medicine (albeit a rather strong one), the other a beam of energy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Austin Powers wrote:It's too bad Claudia advertised that she won, since that took all the suspense out of whether or not the middle player's rather suboptimal bet would actually prove costly. I mean, it cost her $1000, but it could have cost her much more.
They showed the guy's response first, so we already knew he doubled up and once we saw she didn't, there was no suspense regarding her; for those who didn't look at Claudia's Facebook page.

If she didn't like the category, a bet of zero or even $6,400 would have been fine, if she wanted to gamble on a TS. But her bet gives her no chance to win if she is wrong and no chance to win unless she is the only one to get it right.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:That was quite an entertaining and exciting game, as all 3 players were battling for the lead down the stretch, and all 3 scores were multiples of $400 so there was a strong possibility of any or all of the players ending up tied.

I started to send her a message, but decided against it. I thought it might look a little stalkerish and creepy. Plus, as you said, it is probably too late by now.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Bamaman wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:It's too bad Claudia advertised that she won, since that took all the suspense out of whether or not the middle player's rather suboptimal bet would actually prove costly. I mean, it cost her $1000, but it could have cost her much more.
They showed the guy's response first, so we already knew he doubled up and once we saw she didn't, there was no suspense regarding her; for those who didn't look at Claudia's Facebook page.

If she didn't like the category, a bet of zero or even $6,400 would have been fine, if she wanted to gamble on a TS. But her bet gives her no chance to win if she is wrong and no chance to win unless she is the only one to get it right.
Right, but if Claudia misses the question, then the middle player's bet becomes painfully bad. Since we knew Claudia was winning, it's just one person betting herself out of $1000... because you never know when you'll need that $400 in play money.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just went back to her Facebook page and the comment she posted is gone. So she either took it down or edited her privacy settings as to what non-friends can see.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I said Mary Tyler Moore (thinking of MTM Productions, founded in 1969--its logo played on the MGM logo, with the kitten in place of the lion), but I guess she doesn't count as Hollywood.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Home Alone was surprisingly an 0-fer. Cathedrals also seemed pretty rough — what's so special about St. Patrick's Cathedral that I should instantly recognize it as NY?

No guess on FJ! NHO Mary Pickford, honestly.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO Mary Pickford, honestly.
Eh, she's Canadian, so who has? :)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Knew'em both but said Lucy as an homage to Star Trek. Truth be told, without her, Trek probably never happens.