Thursday, June 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by earendel »

When the FJ! clue was revealed I went straight to Bolshoi, but then remembered that it was headquartered in Moscow so that couldn't be it. Nothing else came to mind. I should have remembered the lyrics to "The Patty Duke Show".

Where Cathy adores a minuet,
The Ballet Russes, and crepe suzette,
Our Patty loves to rock and roll,
A hot dog makes her lose control — What a wild duet!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

earendel wrote:When the FJ! clue was revealed I went straight to Bolshoi, but then remembered that it was headquartered in Moscow so that couldn't be it. Nothing else came to mind. I should have remembered the lyrics to "The Patty Duke Show".

Where Cathy adores a minuet,
The Ballet Russes, and crepe suzette,
Our Patty loves to rock and roll,
A hot dog makes her lose control — What a wild duet!
That's one way to remember it!

I knew it outright because I'd heard that the various Ballet Russes companies were formed outside of Russia, probably on one of these NPR/PRI music shows I listen to. IIRC, when these were founded, Russia was the place for ballet (even though it originated in France), and consisted of mostly Russian expats. Knew the other major ballet companies that I could name (Bolshoi, Kirov/Mariinsky) were based in Russia.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

That $1200 in Painters could have been in Stupid Answers. The "Grand", "Venice", "Canaletto", and waterway in the clue(Canal of course being the correct response) made that possible.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

legendneverdies wrote:That $1200 in Painters could have been in Stupid Answers. The "Grand", "Venice", "Canaletto", and waterway in the clue(Canal of course being the correct response) made that possible.
Yes, that was unfortunate - now people will cite it as an example of why contestant should be ruled correct when they just give back information that's entirely within the question.

Alex: "This 16th President..."

Contestant: "Alex, who is the 16th President?"

Alex: "So sorry"

People on internet. "NO. The contestant was RIGHT. BRING HIM BACK NOW."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

What's up with telling the contestants they needed the title, then giving the first word and asking for the rest of the title?

I couldn't pull Brown Sugar or White Rabbit out in time, but I knew them all.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Sis said "Russian Ballet" — would that be acceptable?
Probably not: It's the Ballets Russes (Russian Ballets). The "s" does change things, in my opinion.
How about "What is Ballet Russe?"? I think the silent S's make it ok. Jury?

And, BTW, should it be "What is Ballets Russes?" or "What are Ballets Russes?"?
OCSam
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

OrangeSAM wrote:How about "What is Ballet Russe?"? I think the silent S's make it ok. Jury?

And, BTW, should it be "What is Ballets Russes?" or "What are Ballets Russes?"?
I hope they would be lenient with the spelling here, especially because the omitted letters are silent. (In common usage, that is. I have no idea whether they actually affect pronunciation.)

I think "What is Ballets Russes?" is better, though "are" is OK too. really any question words are OK. Even "Who is" or "Who are". It's the name of a single dance company. In print, it seems to be referred to in the singular, e.g., "The Ballets Russes was founded...."

Fwiw, I notice the company is also sometimes referred to as the "Russian Ballet," so I think that answer would have been acceptable.
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

gloriaclemente wrote:Hey, where is the love for Ernest's rendition of Brown Sugar? It was pretty hilarious from where I sat! Go Ernest, go Ernest! What a good guy...
I thought that was awesome - I told him afterwards it was a real Jeopardy! moment that he should be proud of.
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CAPS LOCK wrote:
gloriaclemente wrote:Hey, where is the love for Ernest's rendition of Brown Sugar? It was pretty hilarious from where I sat! Go Ernest, go Ernest! What a good guy...
I thought that was awesome - I told him afterwards it was a real Jeopardy! moment that he should be proud of.
He'd better be. It's probably already up on YouTube!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of that ballet, went with Bolshoi just to have something, fearing it was likely wrong.

My logic on the big county was that the largest would be one you wouldn't expect, not LA or Frisco.
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

Chris's second DJ DD wager only proves my point about Terry Kent's stupid DD wager on Monday. Chris still at least had a chance to win after that miss, while Terry did not.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

CAPS LOCK wrote:
I laughed, but I won't be buying his album.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

Magna wrote:Fwiw, I notice the company is also sometimes referred to as the "Russian Ballet," so I think that answer would have been acceptable.
That was my wild, random guess, so it would be nice if it were acceptable! :lol:
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:My logic on the big county was that the largest would be one you wouldn't expect, not LA or Frisco.
Which wouldn't help me any. Especially since I always imagined Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland to be nearly equal in size.

Dessert/butter plate? You mean there's more than one kind of plate?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mbclev wrote:Chris's second DJ DD wager only proves my point about Terry Kent's stupid DD wager on Monday. Chris still at least had a chance to win after that miss, while Terry did not.
Chris lost. Terry lost. Didn't make much difference.

edit: More thoroughly: Terry would have won if he had gotten it right; I think Chris would have won if he had gotten it right. In this sense, they made wagers that would have turned out perfect if they could have pulled out their DDs. But then: Chris probably would have won if he had wagered only about a thousand; Terry might have won (depending on whether he knew FJ) if he had wagered only about a thousand. In this sense, given they got their DDs wrong, Chris and Terry both wagered too much.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:My logic on the big county was that the largest would be one you wouldn't expect, not LA or Frisco.
Which wouldn't help me any. Especially since I always imagined Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland to be nearly equal in size.

Dessert/butter plate? You mean there's more than one kind of plate?
You're doing it again.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I know I've said this before... but why the heck do they feature "internet slang" that isn't even used?! I mean, do any of you use any of the terms that were in this category? Doubtful.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LQTM is definitely a Demetri Martin joke.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I missed the week because I was golfing but I would kill to see someone singing Brown Sugar on the show. I did manage to record Friday's episode but haven't seen it yet. Other than the singing, sounds like a dull show.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

So, what's the verdict: is The Russian Ballet acceptable?

Need to know before taking the "FJs for the Week" poll. I want the Guesstimania results to be accurate!