Friday, June 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Friday, June 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

They should have used a game that actually aired on February 2nd.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

2/2 in the 1991-92 season was on a Sunday.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Quando in Roma, fa poiché i romani fanno

Post by dhkendall »

Magna wrote:There's a scene in Groundhog Day where Bill Murray is watching J! and astonishes everyone else in the room by not only getting everything right, but pronouncing the response "What is Mexico?" with a native accent (roughly, "What is Me-hi-co?"), which the contestant then also astonishingly does.
I thought Bill Murray's character just got the Spanish pronunciation from Alex. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:2/2 in the 1991-92 season was on a Sunday.
Then it's pretty obvious that the movie was not set during that season.
Bamaman wrote:They should have used a game that actually aired on February 2nd.
Agreed.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:2/2 in the 1991-92 season was on a Sunday.
Then it's pretty obvious that the movie was not set during that season.
Bamaman wrote:They should have used a game that actually aired on February 2nd.
Agreed.

Brian
But really who, of all the people who watched the movie, would have that enecylopedia, almost Rain-Man-like knowledge of all the J! episodes, and what date they aired? True, there are some on the board like that whom I'm convinced know the dates of any show without checking the Archive, but they're few and far between.

Every movie has minor goofs in it (just ask IMdB), but, unless you're really anal-retentive and pedantic about it, it shoudln't take away from the main plot point (that he used his situation to impress family and friends by knowing all the Jeopardy! answers) or the enjoyment of the movie.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

dhkendall wrote:...(just ask IMdB), but, unless you're really anal-retentive and pedantic about it...
But I am, so I must point out that it's IMDb. ;)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

The Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania affiliate that airs Jeopardy had a Penguins hockey game so that J! episode was time-shifted. That must be it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Every movie has minor goofs in it (just ask IMdB), but, unless you're really anal-retentive and pedantic about it, it shoudln't take away from the main plot point (that he used his situation to impress family and friends by knowing all the Jeopardy! answers) or the enjoyment of the movie.
Or...
Spoiler
just random people in a diner/bar... (No family was there and part of the plot was that he *had* no friends. Did...did you even SEE the movie?! :lol: )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Every movie has minor goofs in it (just ask IMdB), but, unless you're really anal-retentive and pedantic about it, it shoudln't take away from the main plot point (that he used his situation to impress family and friends by knowing all the Jeopardy! answers) or the enjoyment of the movie.
Or...
Spoiler
just random people in a diner/bar... (No family was there and part of the plot was that he *had* no friends. Did...did you even SEE the movie?! :lol: )
Spoiler
Apparently, it's been a while. I remember him sitting in an armchair in a living room watching it and giving out the answers. Yours makes sense, as he did travel to Punxatawney at the start of the movie, so there wouldn't be family there, but I honestly remember it set in a living room, not a diner (what diner airs J! instead of sports anyways?))

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
Volante wrote:
Or...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Apparently, it's been a while. I remember him sitting in an armchair in a living room watching it and giving out the answers. Yours makes sense, as he did travel to Punxatawney at the start of the movie, so there wouldn't be family there, but I honestly remember it set in a living room, not a diner (what diner airs J! instead of sports anyways?))
I've probably mixed up two scenes...apparently it's in a...
Spoiler
Retirement home...or at least it looks like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXmvunn7XI And he sounds none too pleased to be there :D (I think I based it off the old people, eating and drinking. Hence why I thought diner. Did not remember the pajamas.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote:I literally LOLed at CAPS LOCK's contestant story and said, "Hey, that must be CAPS LOCK!"
Or it could be because his last name sounds like "cap lock key" (without the "l") said really fast.

And yes, I just noticed that.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought he was in the lobby of the B&B he was staying at.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote:I thought he was in the lobby of the B&B he was staying at.
That's the way I remember it...

"Cliffhanger" is a cliche because it's not just a word, it's an image, a metaphor, that's overused...

That said, I'm another who flubbed it because I found "sea-bord" baffling...I figured it could be a poetic spelling of "seaboard," but of course we usually use that word to refer to an enormous area, and I also thought it might mean shipboard. That's where my response (and Roseanne's) of plank comes from. I wish I had put as much thought into the word "serial"...

I hope everybody here got the Jersey Boys response after the recent name-dropping of shows about Boys...
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

dhkendall wrote:
Paucle wrote:I literally LOLed at CAPS LOCK's contestant story and said, "Hey, that must be CAPS LOCK!"
Or it could be because his last name sounds like "cap lock key" (without the "l") said really fast.

And yes, I just noticed that.
It's very fitting, but I never noticed the connection until a friend of mine Facebooked during the show that that was my new name.
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
earendel

Post by earendel »

Bamaman wrote:I easily ran the TV category as well. My precall of Carlton the doorman didn't show up, however. Nor did Mrs. Wolowitz.
I also expected Carlton or Mrs. Wolowitz. Another one I thought would be there was Norm Peterson's wife from Cheers.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

http://youtu.be/9lXmvunn7XI

Here is the scene from the movie. Hard to tell exactly where they are, could be someone's house.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Paucle wrote:The Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania affiliate that airs Jeopardy had a Penguins hockey game so that J! episode was time-shifted. That must be it.
Could also have been a rerun. It would make his feat a little less astonishing to the others in the room (if they knew it was a rerun), but still impressive.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Bamaman wrote:I thought he was in the lobby of the B&B he was staying at.
Yep.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

And that's why he's called Cliff Hanger.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

cinemaniax7 wrote:And that's why he's called Cliff Hanger.
Oh, you beat me to it, cinemaniax7! (Serves me right for being so behind on my Jeopardy! viewing!)

And if only he had been called Sea-Bord Cliff Hanger, maybe I would have had a chance on this FJ!
(although, admittedly, it would have been a less punny name ;) ).

Congratulations on a well-played game, CAPS LOCK, and, as others have already mentioned, on your excellent FJ! bet (and the Singleton Get).
CAPS LOCK wrote:As you might be able to tell, I was very much in a "don't ring in to guess, ring in to give a correct answer" mindframe.
A great mindframe to be in for J!, and kudos to you for having the self-discipline to maintain that approach during the game.
(I suspect it's not always easy to maintain this discipline when carried away by the pace and excitement of the game or, in some cases, by the desperation of falling behind).
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago