Thursday, June 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Thursday, June 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Am I the only one who wasn't even thinking ballet?
Just wondering what you were thinking of.

The category was "The Arts" and the clue mentioned performance and Moscow, which led most everyone to ballet. there are some other types of performances associated with Russia (e.g., circuses, which might technically be "The Arts" but doesn't comfortably fit the category) and some associated with the arts (e.g., icons, Faberge eggs, literature, church architecture). But I can't think of another one that would be a good fit.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Am I the only one who wasn't even thinking ballet?
Just wondering what you were thinking of.

The category was "The Arts" and the clue mentioned performance and Moscow, which led most everyone to ballet. there are some other types of performances associated with Russia (e.g., circuses, which might technically be "The Arts" but doesn't comfortably fit the category) and some associated with the arts (e.g., icons, Faberge eggs, literature, church architecture). But I can't think of another one that would be a good fit.
I was thinking of nothing at all, because I didn't make the Moscow = ballet connection.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I was thinking of nothing at all, because I didn't make the Moscow = ballet connection.
When Wednesday's FJ said the US had "this many Presidents" from 1841-1850, did you know they were looking for a number?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
When Wednesday's FJ said the US had "this many Presidents" from 1841-1850, did you know they were looking for a number?
Apparently not, because my answer was "cilantro". :D

In all seriousness though, the key words here seem to be "performed" and "Moscow". Ballet is not the only performing art in the world, and I'm sure it's not the only one that has ever had a group of some sort in Moscow.

I don't see why I shouldn't have expected it to be related to say, musicals, operas or plays.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I don't see why I shouldn't have expected it to be related to say, musicals, operas or plays.
Also 1909. The Bolshoi was big at the turn of the century, and it makes sense there'd be competition from outside Russia to try piggybacking off the success (and that Russia wouldn't allow outsiders to perform in Moscow, not with the Bolshoi there.)

Either you know that, or you don't. *shrug*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I don't see why I shouldn't have expected it to be related to say, musicals, operas or plays.
Also 1909. The Bolshoi was big at the turn of the century, and it makes sense there'd be competition from outside Russia to try piggybacking off the success (and that Russia wouldn't allow outsiders to perform in Moscow, not with the Bolshoi there.)

Either you know that, or you don't. *shrug*
And I really, really didn't know it.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I don't see why I shouldn't have expected it to be related to say, musicals, operas or plays.
One reason is that it was performing in both French- and English-speaking countries, and had some kind of tie with Russia. If the art form depended heavily on language (for example, drama or comedic musicals), either the company would have to excel at performing the works in different languages (very unlikely) or the audience would be taking in the performance in a foreign language and thus probably not appreciating it as much. So the company would not be performing to "great acclaim" internationally as the clue says. To illustrate, France and Russia have drama companies, but you have probably never seen them performing in the U.S. You probably also have never heard of a Russian musical.

Of the remaining art forms, that basically leaves ballet, which doesn't involve language, and opera, which is usually performed in the original language (rather than in translation) but can be performed well by people who aren't native speakers of that language. Although there are some well-known Russian operas and some good Russian opera singers and companies, Russia isn't known as an exporter of opera. Just as an exercise, name all the Russian opera companies you can. Then after you haven't been able to think of any, turn your mind to France. France has long had a very strong operatic tradition, and its opera companies are even featured in other art forms, like The Phantom of the Opera, impressionist paintings, and those Parisian posters that decorate cafes from Tampa to Spokane. There would be no reason for Russian expatriates to be setting up their own Russian-style opera companies in Monte Carlo and Paris. So opera would not be a good guess for this clue.

But Russia does have a very strong ballet tradition. You may have even heard of some Russian ballet dancers. And the Russian ballerina is a stock character in movies, probably including a lot of movies you've seen. So it makes sense as the art form here.

Note: This is my own exercise. It's interesting for me to tease out the reasoning of a clue. I'm not expecting a leopard to change its spots. ;)