New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:No offense to Doug, I just like to play the "what might have been" game: four wins and $36k doesn't make Lucien rise above the ToCer crowd, and yet getting his fifth FJ right would probably have meant a ticket to the UToC.
Yes, Lucien would have had $50,482 so that would have been a higher total than Michael Rooney's as well as others who squeaked in. But of course FJ clues about movies have cost players even more.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That reminds me, did you hear about this? http://public.spellingbee.com/public/re ... speller/20
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

you have found your nemesis partner!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Somehow I knew exactly what that was going to be before I clicked on it. If only he had come to you first ...
doogie
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by doogie »

seaborgium wrote:No offense to Doug, I just like to play the "what might have been" game: four wins and $36k doesn't make Lucien rise above the ToCer crowd, and yet getting his fifth FJ right would probably have meant a ticket to the UToC.
Hey, honestly, I was fortunate that Lucien didn't get the FJ. No offense taken. My wife still likes telling people though that I kept him out!

Back to my other questions about the days my shows aired, perhaps different markets broadcast the shows on different days. I'm just intrigued because I've referred to September 12, 13, and 16 all these years.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

doogie wrote:
Hey, honestly, I was fortunate that Lucien didn't get the FJ. No offense taken. My wife still likes telling people though that I kept him out!

Back to my other questions about the days my shows aired, perhaps different markets broadcast the shows on different days. I'm just intrigued because I've referred to September 12, 13, and 16 all these years.
I used Mark's info, as well as a reference to your games on USENET from the time they aired, to establish the dates. I hated to contradict the dates you told me. I don't know if WCCO aired them early or these other markets aired them late.

-M
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

legendneverdies wrote:Jeopardyman211 has uploaded several season three games not in the archive to their Youtube page: including 1/27/87,3/26/87, and 5/15/87(Senior tourney final game two)
Actually, the 3rd one is correct, but for the first two, it's 1/22/87 and 3/16/87. 3/19/87(Game #599) once again had 3 new players.
Last edited by Ivoryface86 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

3/2/87(first game after the first Teen tourney, gleaned by the fact that the only J! season with that set and a Teen tourney airing on GSN was 1986-87, and that Alex mentioned the Seniors tourney upcoming and the Teen and TofC passed, and that the champ had to wait two weeks to return) and 11/20/89(game after the 1989 TofC) are both not in the archive and are known to be at Jeopardyman211's page.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Here's an episode from around March 1988 (airdate uncertain):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPc-YXVCgc
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:Here's an episode from around March 1988 (airdate uncertain):

As I've been told, this episode is from March 17, 1988(but no reference of it being St. Patrick's Day however).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Ivoryface86 wrote:
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:Here's an episode from around March 1988 (airdate uncertain):

As I've been told, this episode is from March 17, 1988(but no reference of it being St. Patrick's Day however).
Wait! How do you know that St. Patrick's Day is March 17th?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

There are three lights.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:
Ivoryface86 wrote:

Wait! How do you know that St. Patrick's Day is March 17th?

Brian
They said it on the show the other day, weren't you watching?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:They said it on the show the other day, weren't you watching?
I was. I see the same things over and over, but how am I supposed to learn them? Especially when they are based in Christian beliefs?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:They said it on the show the other day, weren't you watching?
I was. I see the same things over and over, but how am I supposed to learn them? Especially when they are based in Christian beliefs?
The existence of a Wikipedia article on it complicates things even more.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added this game to the archive today: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3928

Looking at the list,not the individual games, it seems only the 1/1/98 game is missing for the 1997-1998 season. I checked my collection and I don't have that one. Anyone else have Bill Unterborn's debut?

While entering the game I checked on something using the search box and the results were shown the old and preferred way and not the current listing through the regular J! archive access that is not as helpful. I guess that's a hidden benefit for archivists? Although it took me until today to find it out.

For the 5/25/98 game if another archivist wants to clean up my faulty formatting go ahead. I'm wasn't sure how to enter the various audio and visual clues that game had.

With weekday Euro Cup over I will have time to put some more games in before the Olympics start at the end of July. Any requests?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:I added this game to the archive today: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3928
I once looked through the Archive to figure out likely candidates for 1999 ToC alternates (and generally to see who missed it by that much), but I made the mistake of going strictly by people whose names appeared leftmost on the season indices three times, so I overlooked Louis Cohen. I assumed Christopher Ruth had been the alternate with three wins and some $42k (and he was a good "missed it by that much" player, having gone all in from a lock second on what would be a third place sole get).

I later discovered Louis when I was looking for 2x champs for whom a third victory would have meant clearing John Skelton's $57k (spoiler: there were none), and was surprised to find what I thought was his losing game was in fact his third victory, and wondered what his unarchived downfall would be. Now I know! I have to say, my sole criterion for "missed it by that much" status is whether the defeat can be turned to victory by changing exactly one detail in that person's play: a bigger or smaller DD or FJ wager, or a DD/FJ get instead of a miss, or a clam instead of a neg. Since Louis both knocked himself into second by negging at the end of DJ and had a sole miss on FJ, I don't feel as bad for him. It's probably a logical fallacy on my part, but I think "if only" has a nicer ring to it than "if A and B."

P.S. Strange choice of category for that FJ. It's the third anagram FJ I know of, but the only one that's in the same format (wording stands alone as a clue, while containing an anagram of the correct response) as J! and DJ anagram categories. I got it right, briefly toying with what turned out to be Louis's response before rereading the clue and coming to my senses.

P.P.S. Thanks for your work, Mark (and all Archivists, of course).
Last edited by seaborgium on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:With weekday Euro Cup over I will have time to put some more games in before the Olympics start at the end of July. Any requests?
The players from the 2003 ToC, especially Ben Tritle and Jill "Sorry Cory, No Jag" Bunzendahl Chimka. The games are entered, most of the game material isn't.

-3M
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:With weekday Euro Cup over I will have time to put some more games in before the Olympics start at the end of July. Any requests?
The players from the 2003 ToC, especially Ben Tritle and Jill "Sorry Cory, No Jag" Bunzendahl Chimka. The games are entered, most of the game material isn't.

-3M
I'd like to see 12/3/1996, 1/8/1997, 1/23/1997, 1/30/1997, 2/18/1997, 2/19/1997, 3/4/1997, 3/5/1997, 3/11/1997, and 4/15/1997. That would then complete all the episodes from the 1996-1997 season with the sushi bar set. It would also be nice to get some more September and October 1996 episodes in too.

Also, Season 20 (2003-2004) needs to be completed at some point.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

It would be nice to see the September-December 1986, especially in Dave Traini's run that if the monitors still had the original '84-'86 spinning globe and some other September-November 3, 1995 games archived as well as some other regular September-December 1992 games. So I'm assuming that you Mark don't have Diane Siegel's run or Jack Mahoney's run, we do know of Diane's, which was January 25-29, 1993, but Jack Mahoney's may've rerun sometime after GSN brought back the Goodson/Todman library and putting WOF and J! back on their weekend schedule if that's true enough. If we get more regular September-November 1995 games archived, that'll lead me to pinpoint the other accurate air dates for the rest of the September-November 1995 WOF episodes if of course, those WOF episodes have shown in the GSN weekend rotation that are actually posted online.