Monday, June 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by zakharov »

Alright, good grief, you win, I concede the very important point.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Okay, let's pretend I said something about the game.

Did Alex explain what the 2x4 category was about when introducing it? If not, it would seem odd to "hide" a pop culture category, especially when it wasn't in the second column.
Last edited by Turd Ferguson on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ. I'm curious where everyone stopped reading and locked in their answer: London, 'new lodgings', or Stamford? ETA: 'new lodgings' here.

Not sure why the last half a page of comments happened...
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ. I'm curious where everyone stopped reading and locked in their answer: London, 'new lodgings', or Stamford?
London for me. Though new lodgings made me feel better. I am pretty weak in my Holmes knowledge and Stamford wouldn't have helped.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ. I'm curious where everyone stopped reading and locked in their answer: London, 'new lodgings', or Stamford?

Not sure why the last half a page of comments happened...
I just went with the most famous literary pair I could think of from London. Haven't read the stories in ages.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ. I'm curious where everyone stopped reading and locked in their answer: London, 'new lodgings', or Stamford? ETA: 'new lodgings' here.
None of the above. I spent 20 seconds or so trying to come up with anything. Luckily I happened upon Holmes and Watson and locked it in. I was reasonably confident, but definitely not without doubt.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote:I wish that when the clue is looking for Pete Townshend's band, the contestant would ask, "Who?" Just once.
It's been done and Alex was not happy. A different thing it reminded me of was Pat Healy selecting the category ..."UM" and Alex thinking the champ was just stuttering about his next call: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=230

Did anyone mess up the Mona Lisa clue with Da Vinci? Van Gogh then Picasso had me blurting out another artist before I could take it back. If the category is going to be a mix of things I like to see something different in the second box. After two in a row with names I was in that pattern. The Warhol DD and Fauvism were easier to handle.

The FJ clue put me in the right city and then I was left to guess as the names provided were not going to help me. Holmes & Watson seemed like an elementary guess and I went for them. Scrooge & Marley did not shake my confidence when Karen's response was revealed. Alex's first words after Neil's correct response let me know he was on his way to letting us know that was it.

2 By 4 could have been quick math calculations or carpentry and that scared the players? If they had known it was music then it should not have played last. I like those kind of clues with three pieces of information with double songs plus the artist. The writers can mix it up to have something 2012 to help a young player and something 1950s to help an older player. Zodiac not completed last week was limited in potential material while 2 By 4 was wide open.

I randomly picked three pages in my Billboard book:

$1200 - "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" & "Killing Me Softly With His Song"

$1600 - "Gitarzan" & "Everything Is Beautiful"

$2000 - "One Bad Apple" & "Down By The Lazy River"
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

Yeah, I deliberately avoided that 2x4 category in case it contained math. I was really mad when I found out what it actually contained and then ran out of time. Oh well.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

MarkBarrett wrote:$1200 - "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" & "Killing Me Softly With His Song"
$1600 - "Gitarzan" & "Everything Is Beautiful"
$2000 - "One Bad Apple" & "Down By The Lazy River"
Spoiler
Flack, Stevens, and Osmonds?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

and I just realized I forgot the category with two songs by four people in the group. Sorry, my bad. You can still play the clues.

Adding: Yes, $4800 for Paucle.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

Congratulations, Swift's/David! Every game you win makes me feel a little better about losing to you. I hope you tear it up in the TOC!
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

Thanks, Kathy!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Just wanted to pop in and say that I was really pleased to go 4/5 in the playwright's category (clammed on the Mamet clue, didn't know that he was famous for being a potty mouth (or, more likely, having R-rated language in his plays)), as I constantly clam or miss those type of clues, despite having a BA in Theatre (which I have done exactly jack squat with in the ensuing 15+ years). I'd like to think the board, the Archive, and other related Jeoparabilia helped me with the 4/5. So, thanks, guys!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:Just wanted to pop in and say that I was really pleased to go 4/5 in the playwright's category (clammed on the Mamet clue, didn't know that he was famous for being a potty mouth (or, more likely, having R-rated language in his plays)), as I constantly clam or miss those type of clues, despite having a BA in Theatre (which I have done exactly jack squat with in the ensuing 15+ years). I'd like to think the board, the Archive, and other related Jeoparabilia helped me with the 4/5. So, thanks, guys!
Oh man, I loved that TOM about Mamet. Glengarry Glen Ross, or as it was known on the movie set, Death of a [Bleepin] Salesman. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I've recently seen the superb new Sherlock series so that's what I thought of right away. The woman was awfully giggly but otherwise, a well-played game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gloriaclemente wrote:Congratulations, Swift's/David! Every game you win makes me feel a little better about losing to you. I hope you tear it up in the TOC!
And anyone who uses Tyrion Lannister as his avatar is automatically rooted for. :)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:Yeah, I deliberately avoided that 2x4 category in case it contained math. I was really mad when I found out what it actually contained and then ran out of time. Oh well.
I was bored with that category.
Sage on the Hudson

Truncategate

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Disappointed that 2x4 was timed out. ('Twas hoping to see if Metallica, Van Halen, and Boys II Men were among the quartets listed).
For once, happily, it's the one worthless category that got truncated. Oh, how I wish the writers would take all their wretched and insipid rock & roll clues and send them to lie at the bottom of the Atlantic with the Titanic.

zakharov wrote:Losing by $1 has to hurt.
It should only hurt if he knows he could have bet more and didn't. As it was, he bet everything he had and was limited by circumstances beyond his control.
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

One could get mad at himself all he wants, for not thinking of Sherlock Holmes. I think the point is that almost no one actually knew the right answer to FJ, without guessing. I am sure there are a lot of books about characters living in London.

Is it right that the FJ comes down to pure luck? I suppose you need to think of FJ the way the A's treated the post-season - as pure randomness. How do New landings and London lead you to Sherlock Holmes? I suppose London needs to call to mind a list of books set in London, otherwise...
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

I had Holmes & Watson before they even showed the clue, the first (and only) fictional pair that came to mind. I was a bit disappointed as I'd hoped the FJ clue would refer to a more obscure fictional pairing, or at least not the most obvious one. Possibly Nick & Nora Charles, or Tommy & Tuppence, or Scarlett & Rhett.

There have been quite a few games where the first place contestant wins by betting an amount that puts their score at double the second place contestant's score plus $1. I think it's a bit flashy myself. And it can backfire on you i. I remember seeing a game once where the first place contestant ending up losing by some small amount because he did the math wrong. But I don't see any shame in losing by $1. You can only bet as much as you have.