Monday, June 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, June 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Is it well known that Harrison Ford flies airplanes? I can think of lots of "elevating" hobbies.
Cracked to the rescue! #11 (first on the list)
http://www.cracked.com/article_18905_11 ... asses.html

(Ok, I was initially surprised they took the more specific 'airplanes' as I said 'helicopters', but he does fly planes too, and obviously choppers would be accepted (so if anyone said helicopters, accept it!))
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

harrumph wrote:The answer to C) - Blood, Sweat, & Tears - had a lot of horn players in it, they weren't a four piece band.
You mean those weren't the surnames of the members? I thought they were a three-piece band since Toil left (or died?) before they became famous.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

bpmod wrote:
harrumph wrote:The answer to C) - Blood, Sweat, & Tears - had a lot of horn players in it, they weren't a four piece band.
You mean those weren't the surnames of the members? I thought they were a three-piece band since Toil left (or died?) before they became famous.

Brian
They became famous only after Young joined.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

oops- wasn't sure, so I checked the Billboard Top 40 book i have, and it only listed four.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

harrumph wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Brian
They became famous only after Young joined.
ok, I must admit this whole exchange has lost me! Which Young was in BS&T?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
At least they didn't try Hamilton Joe Frank and Reynolds. They might have had a fight on that one!
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Did anyone else miss the obvious and go with Jeeves and Wooster? I'm assuming (always a danger) they lived in London, and am aware their relationship wasn't really that of flatmates, but the century seemed right. I'll blame this miss on overthinking and the presence of my mother-in-law... who when I paused the DVR said "Sherlock Holmes?" in about five seconds flat.

I'll further assume they'd have taken impressment for press-ganging, and that I'd have been negged for saying Cowboys vs. Aliens. I also said nectar for honey in the Dickinson poem.

On the Mamet clue Alex missed a YouTube moment by not saying "Bleep yes!"
In and out of the pool four times
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

reddpen wrote:Did anyone else miss the obvious and go with Jeeves and Wooster? I'm assuming (always a danger) they lived in London, and am aware their relationship wasn't really that of flatmates, but the century seemed right. I'll blame this miss on overthinking and the presence of my mother-in-law... who when I paused the DVR said "Sherlock Holmes?" in about five seconds flat.

I'll further assume they'd have taken impressment for press-ganging, and that I'd have been negged for saying Cowboys vs. Aliens. I also said nectar for honey in the Dickinson poem.

On the Mamet clue Alex missed a YouTube moment by not saying "Bleep yes!"
I also thought of possibly Pip and Herbert Pocket, but quickly settled on H&W.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote:
dhkendall wrote:went with The Odd Couple (couldn't even remember Felix's name) for something to have
in London?
Hey, I always subscribe to the notion that having *something* (which at least fits the category) is better than nothing, because (as we've all grown sick of telling a more obstinate boardie), "a blank answer is always wrong". (Not to say I haven't had a blank slate for FJ before, but, at least I try if at all possible to have something remotely right. As I sad, at least my answer matches the category.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
Paucle wrote:
dhkendall wrote:went with The Odd Couple (couldn't even remember Felix's name) for something to have
in London?
Hey, I always subscribe to the notion that having *something* (which at least fits the category) is better than nothing, because (as we've all grown sick of telling a more obstinate boardie), "a blank answer is always wrong". (Not to say I haven't had a blank slate for FJ before, but, at least I try if at all possible to have something remotely right. As I sad, at least my answer matches the category.)
Apparently there's now a caveat that if you know the answer's wrong, not to put it down. So many rules!
Tough break to whoever said [Barnabus] Collins wrote The Hunger Games!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I haven't had a RIGHT answer since May 23, and I think I only got that one because I saw "Aus" when browsing the thread with my glasses off so I could make a request for someone to send me the episode. My last "true" correct one was May 18.

In other words, I might as well just put a blank every time.
davey

Post by davey »

stevo4212 wrote:One could get mad at himself all he wants, for not thinking of Sherlock Holmes. I think the point is that almost no one actually knew the right answer to FJ, without guessing. I am sure there are a lot of books about characters living in London.

Is it right that the FJ comes down to pure luck? ...
I don't know why you'd assume that. I would assume that Jeopardy! people are the kind who were steeped in Sherlockiana as a kid. I know I was...Not to mention the popular modern TV version, in which they meet in the same way... How about a really challenging Holmesian clue, like

Some close readers of the Sherlock Holmes canon suggest that Dr. Watson had as many as six of these.

Spoiler
What are wives!
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

stevo4212 wrote:I would assume that Jeopardy! people are the kind who were steeped in Sherlockiana as a kid. I know I was...Not to mention the popular modern TV version, in which they meet in the same way.
You're pretty dead on in my case, I'm a long-time fan of Holmes. And prior to taping this episode, my friends and I had spent the weekend watching the whole second season of Sherlock. This FJ was a gift.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

davey wrote: I don't know why you'd assume that. I would assume that Jeopardy! people are the kind who were steeped in Sherlockiana as a kid. I know I was...Not to mention the popular modern TV version, in which they meet in the same way
I was never into either, but was a fan of the "other" modern TV version. I knew that House and Wilson lived together, so guessed that maybe that plot point was also taken from Holmes and Watson.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

As to FJ, I am also "steeped" in Holmes, to a good extent, but I still remember the FJ that concerned instead Holmes' first words to Watson (ie "You have been to Afghanistan, I perceive.") Feels too close to me. :P
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Turd Ferguson wrote:I was never into either, but was a fan of the "other" modern TV version. I knew that House and Wilson lived together, so guessed that maybe that plot point was also taken from Holmes and Watson.
Damn, why have I not noticed this before? (ie that House = Holmes). Granted, I haven't watched House at all, but all I know about House is that he's a very curmudgeonly and surly type, and I don't associate curmudgeonly and surly behaviour with Holmes.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:
stevo4212 wrote:I would assume that Jeopardy! people are the kind who were steeped in Sherlockiana as a kid. I know I was...Not to mention the popular modern TV version, in which they meet in the same way.
You're pretty dead on in my case, I'm a long-time fan of Holmes. And prior to taping this episode, my friends and I had spent the weekend watching the whole second season of Sherlock. This FJ was a gift.
They really need to have "seasons" longer than 3 episodes. :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote:Did anyone else miss the obvious and go with Jeeves and Wooster? I'm assuming (always a danger) they lived in London, and am aware their relationship wasn't really that of flatmates, but the century seemed right. I'll blame this miss on overthinking and the presence of my mother-in-law... who when I paused the DVR said "Sherlock Holmes?" in about five seconds flat.
No, but when thinking during the music, I did ponder them -- way too obscure for most.
I'll further assume they'd have taken impressment for press-ganging,
That's what I said and I'm counting it.
and that I'd have been negged for saying Cowboys vs. Aliens.
Valid assumption.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

dhkendall wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:I was never into either, but was a fan of the "other" modern TV version. I knew that House and Wilson lived together, so guessed that maybe that plot point was also taken from Holmes and Watson.
Damn, why have I not noticed this before? (ie that House = Holmes). Granted, I haven't watched House at all, but all I know about House is that he's a very curmudgeonly and surly type, and I don't associate curmudgeonly and surly behaviour with Holmes.
House wasn't an "exact" duplicate of Holmes, but there were many (intentional) parallels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(TV_ ... ock_Holmes
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

dhkendall wrote:
Holmes was often curt with his clients, as House is(was) with patients. House was by far the bigger misanthrope. Both had a roughly equal skepticism of authority, but Holmes sometimes found more tactful ways of telling people where they could go. The relationship with Wilson/Watson was the most obvious parallel.