Finally... Think Different #150

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Finally... Think Different #150

Post by gamawire »

Welcome to Think Different #150. Someone else was supposed to be before me, but I haven't seen anything, so here goes.

These are just a mix of questions a little heavy on the politics side, thanks to this being an election year. Here are the basic rules for this TD:

-- The object of the game is to supply the least popular correct answers to the questions supplied.
-- Your score on any given question is equal to the number of people (including yourself) who supply that same answer.
-- Incorrect answers will be scored at the amount of the sheep (most popular answer) plus five.
-- There is no penalty for a wrong guess on the two bonus questions.
-- Much like golf, low score wins.
-- Each player can DROP one question for a score of zero.
-- Please send your entries by PM. Do NOT post in this thread.
-- The deadline for submission will be 11:59 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 20.
-- Any questions can be sent to me by PM. I’ll post in the thread if I think a general clarification is needed.
-- If there is a tie, I will use the number of singletons achieved to break the tie, then doubletons, and so on.
-- As usual, no outside sources should be used.

1. Name a 2011-12 season NBA head coach who formerly played for or coached the San Antonio Spurs. Bonus: for a one point deduction in your score, name the team he was coaching this past season (10).

2. Name the current governor of a vowel state (as in a state that begins with a vowel) (12). I just need the name, not the state.

3. Name a woman who has won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction (previous to 1948, the award was called the Pulitzer Prize for Novel, so I’m talking 1948-present). Bonus: for a one point deduction in your score, name the work for which she won (17).

4. One of the versions of “The Scream” by Edvard Munch recently sold for $119.9 million, placing it at number seven on the list of the seventeen most expensive paintings ever sold (listings are based on inflation adjusted values in most cases). Name another artist whose work can be found on this list (10). Source: Business Insider

5. Name a future President who served in the House of Representatives with another future President (18).

6. Name a state that has had a female governor in the 21st century (18).

7. Name an author who has hit #1 on the New York Times bestseller list for adult fiction this year (2012). The website clarifies in this way: “a listing of adult fiction books which have made number one on the New York Times Best Seller List” (as of June 17) (21).

8. Name someone who has portrayed either John Connor or a Terminator (with a speaking part) in the film franchise. (If you think you’re giving me an answer that will throw me off, please let me know which movie and I’ll look it up) (9).

9. Name a President who first served in the House of Representatives and then the Senate (9).

10. Name a state that Al Gore won in the 2000 presidential election (20).

Edited to add:
--- I changed the deadline to an actual date - Wednesday, June 20.
--- I added above that there is no penalty for guessing on the two bonus questions.
Last edited by gamawire on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
gamawire

Re: Finally... Think Different #150

Post by gamawire »

Entries:

Rackme32
MarkBarrett
Paucle
mitchparov
the_phil

WRV
Peggles
Vanya
Turd Ferguson
SkeeBallRaif

econgator
Bamaman
DadofTwins
Magna
Le Master - please check your PMs (again!)

jkbrat
RandyG
amorris525
debramc
goforthetie

mennoknight
teapot37
billy pilgrim
jeff6286
Last edited by gamawire on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 am, edited 25 times in total.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Clarifications:

Question #7 - the author must have hit #1 (I mention it in the second part, but missed it up front).

Question #7 - Further clarification - this question was supposed to be for hardcover fiction only, but since that part of my question got accidentally left off, I will accept #1s from any fiction list on the NY Times page (except for those listed under children's or graphic books).
Last edited by gamawire on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

This post is bumpin',
It's really bumpin',
Come in, cats, and check your hats,
I mean this post is bumpin'!
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Rackme32 wrote:This post is bumpin',
It's really bumpin',
Come in, cats, and check your hats,
I mean this post is bumpin'!
Thansk for the bump!
Time's a-wastin, folks! Let's get those entries in!
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Deadline for entires is tomorrow - hopefully we can make it up to 20!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

gamawire wrote:Deadline for entires is tomorrow - hopefully we can make it up to 20!
I'll be in later today.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Bump - 12 hours left to enter.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Just submitted my entry. It has more wild guesses than ever, but since I've always been a proponent of "just put something down" and I usually come in near last even when I submit correct answers, I just made some stuff up. Not clever stuff, still trying to sound reasonable stuff. (Well, except #1, that was just fun!) Thank you for not making fun of me. :)
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Four hours until deadline - but since I'll probably be asleep by then, I'll start the reveal in the morning. If you're in by then, you're good!
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Total of 24 entries, so scoring should be nice and easy. Reveal will start later today.

Le Master and debramc, please check your PMs!!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

As usual, at first glance I thought it was too difficult. But I think I answered every question correctly, if sheepishly (only had one answer for several).
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

I'll only be able to do a few from work since I didn't copy the file onto my flash drive, but at least I can start!

1. Name a 2011-12 season NBA head coach who formerly played for or coached the San Antonio Spurs.
Bonus: for a one point deduction in your score, name the team he was coaching this past season

You guys always say you know nothing about sports, so I think you did rather well here.

Avery Johnson (4) – coach of the New Jersey Nets last season
Turd Ferguson
DadofTwins
Le Master **
jeff6286 **

Vinny del Negro (3) – coach of the Los Angeles Clippers last season (and the cutest guy to ever grace an NBA court!)
Rackme32 **
econgator **
mennoknight **

Doc Rivers (2) - coach of the Boston Celtics last season
mitchparov **
billy pilgrim **

Greg Popovich (2) - coach of the San Antonio Spurs last season
MarkBarrett **
amorris525 **

Mike Brown (1) - coach of the Los Angeles Lakers last season
goforthetie **

George Karl (1) - coach of the Denver Nuggets last season
teapot37 **

Keith Smart (1) - coach of the Sacramento Kings last season
Paucle **

DROP (0):
WRV
Peggles
Vanya
Bamaman
Magna
jkbrat

INCORRECT (9):
the_phil (no answer)
SkeeBallRaif (Flip Saunders – no Spurs connection)
RandyG (Don Nelson – no Spurs connection & hasn’t coached since 2010)
debramc (Tim Duncan of the Atlantis Unicorns, the new expansion team!)

Correct answers not used:

Monty Williams (Hornets)
Tom Thibodeau (Bulls)
Alvin Gentry (Suns)
Tyronne Corbin (Jazz)

** = correct response on the bonus question; score will reflect a one-point deduction
Last edited by gamawire on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

2. Name the current governor of a vowel state (as in a state that begins with a vowel).

Indiana: Mitch Daniels (5):
mitchparov
DadofTwins
RandyG
billy pilgrim
jeff6286

Arizona: Jan Brewer (3):
WRV
Peggles
jkbrat

Oklahoma: Mary Fallin (3):
Magna
Le Master
teapot37

Oregon: John A. Kitzhaber (2):
Vanya
SkeeBallRaif

Alabama: Robert Bentley (1):
Bamaman

Arkansas: Mike Beebe (1):
goforthetie

Idaho: C. L. "Butch" Otter (1):
mennoknight

Ohio: John Kasich (1):
econgator

Utah: Gary Herbert (1):
Paucle

DROP (0):
Rackme32
MarkBarrett
the_phil
Turd Ferguson
amorris525
debramc

INCORRECT (10):
NONE!!

Correct answers not used:

Alaska: Sean Parnell
Iowa: Terry E. Branstad
Illinois: Pat Quinn
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

SCORES AFTER 2:

amorris525 -- 1
Bamaman -- 1
MarkBarrett -- 1
Paucle -- 1
goforthetie -- 1
Rackme32 -- 2
Vanya -- 2
econgator -- 3
jkbrat -- 3
Magna -- 3
mennoknight -- 3
Peggles -- 3
teapot37 -- 3
WRV -- 3
Turd Ferguson -- 4
billy pilgrim -- 6
Le Master -- 6
mitchparov -- 6
jeff6286 -- 8
DadofTwins -- 9
debramc -- 9
the_phil -- 9
SkeeBallRaif -- 11
RandyG -- 14
Last edited by gamawire on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

gamawire wrote:
goforthetie

** = correct response on the bonus question; score will reflect a one-point deduction
I'm pretty sure I answered the bonus.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Is Greg Popovich a former coach of the San Antonio Spurs? I guess you could say that in addition to coaching the 2012 Spurs, he also coached the 2011 Spurs, 2010 Spurs, etc. I wondered if gamawire would accept that as a response, because nothing in the question seemed to indicate that their current coach would be an acceptable answer. In the question it was indicated that there were 10 possible correct answers, but 11 were listed in the reveal, so I wonder if originally he was overlooked but then gamawire decided that the answer was close enough.

As far as I can tell, none of the other 10 were ever head coach of the Spurs, so I assume they all played for the team, unless any of them were assistant coaches. I don't really have a problem with anyone being credited for a correct answer for Popovich, but as the question was written, he doesn't really seem to fit.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

goforthetie wrote:
gamawire wrote:
goforthetie

I'm pretty sure I answered the bonus.
You are correct, sir. Fixed.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

jeff6286 wrote:Is Greg Popovich a former coach of the San Antonio Spurs? I guess you could say that in addition to coaching the 2012 Spurs, he also coached the 2011 Spurs, 2010 spurs, etc. I wondered if you would accept that as a response, because nothing in the question seemed to indicate that their current coach would be an acceptable answer. In the question it was indicated that there were 10 possible correct answers, but 11 were listed in the reveal. It seems to me that none of the other 10 were ever head coach of the Spurs, so I assume they all played for them, unless any of them were assistant coaches, something I wondered if you would be including. I don't really have a problem with anyone being credited for a correct answer for Popovich, but as the question was written, he doesn't really seem to fit.
I did not anticipate this answer either, which is why I had 10 possible answers down. When I got the first one in with that answer, I reread the questions and decided it would be acceptable, mainly for the reason that he was an assistant coach for us from 1988-92, went to Golden State for a minute, then came back here in 1996. And not all of the correct answers played for the Spurs - some were former assistant coaches, so yes, those were acceptable.
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

gamawire wrote:When I got the first one in with that answer, I reread the questions and decided it would be acceptable, mainly for the reason that he was an assistant coach for us from 1988-92, went to Golden State for a minute, then came back here in 1996.
::smacks self::

I was unaware of the history you named, but I left the question blank because I couldn't come up with a name other than Greg Popovich, who I know is the current coach (and thus knew it was wrong).

Well, I'll know for next time that even a "wrong" answer is better than responding with "?????"