Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Johnblue »

Actually, many of us have tried out. I'd love to get on almost accidentally.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Johnblue wrote:Actually, many of us have tried out. I'd love to get on almost accidentally.
Aw, didn't mean to sound flip. I just mean in general, I think everyone should try out now. Like, I told my dentist everyone should. Sending out positive thoughts to all J!Boardies waiting for The Call (which I repeatedly failed to answer for several weeks because I thought it was an ex-boyfriend in CA calling to cause trouble right after New Year's... Sorry, Robert!).
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

mswanson wrote: Sending out positive thoughts to all J!Boardies waiting for The Call (which I repeatedly failed to answer for several weeks because I thought it was an ex-boyfriend in CA calling to cause trouble right after New Year's... Sorry, Robert!).
:shock:
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Miss Mellie wrote:
mswanson wrote: Sending out positive thoughts to all J!Boardies waiting for The Call (which I repeatedly failed to answer for several weeks because I thought it was an ex-boyfriend in CA calling to cause trouble right after New Year's... Sorry, Robert!).
:shock:
I know.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

mswanson wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Actually, many of us have tried out. I'd love to get on almost accidentally.
Aw, didn't mean to sound flip. I just mean in general, I think everyone should try out now. Like, I told my dentist everyone should. Sending out positive thoughts to all J!Boardies waiting for The Call (which I repeatedly failed to answer for several weeks because I thought it was an ex-boyfriend in CA calling to cause trouble right after New Year's... Sorry, Robert!).
So in your case, The Call was actually a call, rather than an e-mail? Can anyone else say if this is standard practice, or maybe do they call only if the e-mail isn't answered in a timely manner, or maybe is it the other way around?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Jeez, Jeff, there's a reason it's called The Call!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Actually, I just realized that I was mixing up two different things. If you get invited to an audition, isn't that done by e-mail? But then The Call is actually a call, like alietr said. Are both of these things correct, or can they vary?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

By George, I think he's got it!
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

mswanson wrote:...The Call (which I repeatedly failed to answer for several weeks because I thought it was an ex-boyfriend in CA calling to cause trouble right after New Year's... Sorry, Robert!).
I'm guessing they didn't leave a voicemail?
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

jeff6286 wrote:Actually, I just realized that I was mixing up two different things. If you get invited to an audition, isn't that done by e-mail? But then The Call is actually a call, like alietr said. Are both of these things correct, or can they vary?
Yep, the in-person audition invite is an email, and The Call is, well, you know. But I just looked it up, and apparently Robert did actually email me to say they'd been trying to get in touch by phone—whoops. So they do make every effort to get ahold of you!
the_phil wrote:
mswanson wrote:...The Call (which I repeatedly failed to answer for several weeks because I thought it was an ex-boyfriend in CA calling to cause trouble right after New Year's... Sorry, Robert!).
I'm guessing they didn't leave a voicemail?
Oh, they do, but I was also very eager to avoid said ex's voicemails, so um, I skipped those too... :/
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mswanson wrote:Sending out positive thoughts to all J!Boardies waiting for The Call.
From your mouth to TPTB's ears. :) (Well, I suppose "passing" the test would be hurdle one - come tantalizingly close a few years, but still haven't met the mythical 35 yet (at least not "for realsies"). Here's hoping next year's test (probably will take the Pacific one, as they always seem to have the Central one on a day when I'm busy) will have a lot of geography questions! ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

Hi. I'm Darren. I've been trying to get on Jeopardy! since 2007, and I've been lurking here for a while.
GameShowDude
Contributor

Post by GameShowDude »

I am a big Jeopardy fan who also likes to trade and collect Jeopardy shows from the '80s and '90s. I like other game shows and have a variety of them in my collection. If anyone wants to trade with me please e-mail me at the address in my profile. I can e-mail you the lists of my collection since I don't have a website. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks very much.
BobF

Post by BobF »

GameShowDude wrote:I am a big Jeopardy fan who also likes to trade and collect Jeopardy shows from the '80s and '90s. I like other game shows and have a variety of them in my collection. If anyone wants to trade with me please e-mail me at the address in my profile. I can e-mail you the lists of my collection since I don't have a website. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks very much.
The archivists on here from http://www.j-archive.com might be very interested in what you have.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
habbywall

Post by habbywall »

I am a college student from Michigan that decided to try to get on the show to prove to my girlfriends family that I'm not stupid. Although, I've always been a fan of the show, this is what finally made me decide to try and get on the show.

I am forever thankful that I found this board and the Archive as without it I don't think I'd be ready for the test in January!
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

What, July already? How did that happen???

I probably should have decloaked long ago, but just never seemed to get around to it.

Life kept getting in the way, I guess.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that I taped back in March, and my (first? only?) game will be broadcast on Wednesday, July 18. I hope you'll all tune in to watch (Ha! As if a Boardie would ever miss a show!) I'm also hoping that some of my fellow tapees will show up here as it would be great to reconnect with them!

Well, there's not much I can say about the overall Jeopardy! experience that hasn't already been said here by previous contestants: It's fun, it's exciting, you meet wonderful people. Ditto, ditto, and ditto. I expected that to be the case going in, and, unlike some other experiences ("This is the greatest movie ever made - you are going to absolutely love it!"), I found that my high expectations were met and exceeded rather than being dashed to pieces.

A brief background on my Jeopardy! journey - I've watched Jeopardy! on and off since it came back to television with Alex Trebek (no, not quite old enough to remember the Art Fleming era). I tried to catch it as much as possible, but -- again -- life often got in the way (I missed Ken Jennings entire run as that was the year we moved cross-country with two small children and by the time I got around to setting up and programming my VCR, it was over - GRRR!). I learned my lesson and haven't missed many games since. I took the online test in January 2011 (One and Done :D ); had a Los Angeles audition in April; got A Call in August, but couldn't make the taping date (vacation); got Another Call in November, but again couldn't accept (Irish dance competition); and then -- third time's the charm -- got The Call in January 2012. Have I mentioned how grateful I am for the patience and perseverance of the Contestant Coordinators who were willing to keep Calling back???

I didn't start reading The Board until after I took the online test, so not that long really, but long enough to have picked up tons of useful information here (such as don't tell "cat stories" during the Awkward Chat and don't ever, ever, ever call it a podium!! :lol: ). So thanks to everyone who shared their wisdom and their Jeopardy! experiences here, because I do think it helped me go into it with a pretty good idea of what to expect, and knowing that ahead of time helped to make me a little less nervous when I was actually there.

I am very curious to hear how my voice ends up sounding on the show because they were having one heck of a time with my microphone(s)! Multiple adjustments were made at every break, followed by lots of "TESTING 1-2-3", followed by more adjustments, followed by me having to leave the stage and go off to the side to have the whole mic taken off and replaced with a brand new one (not a trivial matter when wearing a dress, by the way, and potentially all kinds of awkward, but surprisingly not thanks to the consummate professionalism of "Mike" [OK, that's not really his name, but it should be] the Mic guy). They said they were having trouble picking up my voice because it was so "low" (by which I believe they meant volume, not pitch, as it's certainly no lower than all the male voices on the show!). I, on the other hand, was trying to project as much as I could to help fix the problem (so much so that I sometimes felt as if I was shouting at the board [no, not you guys, the other board])! Sure hope I don't come off sounding like I'm angry at Alex or something :oops: !)

Anyway, I guess I'll find out soon enough along with everyone else! Hope you all enjoy the show!

~ Julie

P.S. I just saw the promo for the week (someone forwarded the link to me - I never would have remembered to check as I never go there myself because there are too many game spoilers!). Anyway, apparently I am a "Gutsy Challenger", but the funny thing is that the video clip is clearly taken during the Awkward Chat so apparently my gutsy challenging took place in the context of talking to Alex Trebek :o (And I swear I didn't contradict him - no way I was going invoke that curse on myself :lol: )
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

jkbrat wrote:...Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that I taped back in March, and my (first? only?) game will be broadcast on Wednesday, July 18. I hope you'll all tune in to watch (Ha! As if a Boardie would ever miss a show!) I'm also hoping that some of my fellow tapees will show up here as it would be great to reconnect with them!...
Anyway, I guess I'll find out soon enough along with everyone else! Hope you all enjoy the show!

~ Julie

P.S. I just saw the promo for the week (someone forwarded the link to me - I never would have remembered to check as I never go there myself because there are too many game spoilers!). Anyway, apparently I am a "Gutsy Challenger", but the funny thing is that the video clip is clearly taken during the Awkward Chat so apparently my gutsy challenging took place in the context of talking to Alex Trebek :o (And I swear I didn't contradict him - no way I was going invoke that curse on myself :lol: )
In the spirit of the board, retro good luck! You can be sure we're all watching.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just watched your Hometown Howdie and your voice sounded pretty high pitched to me.

Anyway, congrats on making the show and retro good luck!!!!!!!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jkbrat wrote:(not a trivial matter when wearing a dress, by the way)
Huh, and here for some reason I always thought you were a guy. You can guess the kind of shock I had when reading this bit before I read your name at the end. ("Well, at least I'll be pretty sure I know which contestant jkbrat is!")

retro good luck as well. I now know who to cheer for on Wednesday. (And, yes, do anything you can to get your opponents on here, the more contestants the merrier!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
jkbrat wrote:(not a trivial matter when wearing a dress, by the way)
Huh, and here for some reason I always thought you were a guy. You can guess the kind of shock I had when reading this bit before I read your name at the end. ("Well, at least I'll be pretty sure I know which contestant jkbrat is!")
That is one way for a new J! contestant to be sure to make their mark on the show. Surely 74-time winner Ken Jennings would not be nearly as memorable as "that guy who wore a dress on Jeopardy!". Someone should try that someday just to see the look on the contestant coordinators' faces when they arrive at the studio. Even better, a returning champion from a previous taping..."Oh yeah, I always wear suits on Tuesdays, dresses on Wednesdays. Didn't I mention that in my paperwork?"