Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

soxfan99
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by soxfan99 »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:When the Obamas were thinking of getting a dog (seems a First Family must have one nowadays, or they might as well be from...Kenya, or someplace), Teddy Kennedy was pushing them to buy a Water Dog, as that's what he had.
Kennedy actually gave the Obamas the dog as a gift. It's from the same littler as his.
Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:So, I guess it's fairly obvious I know next to nothing about baseball. Football and basketball are my sports and I've never paid much attention to the personalities on teams other than my own (Go Patriots/Lakers/UMich). However, I did know that within the last 20 years, our northern neighbor was home to two baseball teams. I didn't feel confident ringing in on what would be a 50/50. Also, I've never heard of this Chance character. Sorry, baseball fans. :?
I'm a big baseball fan, but I didn't get Chance. I guess I'm not so knowledgeable of my 1910 baseball poetry. (Though, I would get Casey, and he's from an 1888 poem.) Also, being a current fan isn't the same as knowing the history.

Until this discussion, I didn't even realize you're a local. More reason to root for you. However, I'm not so sure about somebody that went to Amherst and BC, lives in Brighton, likes the Pats, and then in the same breath, says his roots for the Lakers. I think you have to make a decision between Boston and LA. You can't root for both.
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

Until this discussion, I didn't even realize you're a local. More reason to root for you. However, I'm not so sure about somebody that went to Amherst and BC, lives in Brighton, likes the Pats, and then in the same breath, says his roots for the Lakers. I think you have to make a decision between Boston and LA. You can't root for both.
Born and raised in Long Beach, CA. LA doesn't have a football team (currently :cry: ), so when I got to New England, I cultivated an allegiance to the Pats.
davey

Post by davey »

soxfan99 wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:When the Obamas were thinking of getting a dog (seems a First Family must have one nowadays, or they might as well be from...Kenya, or someplace), Teddy Kennedy was pushing them to buy a Water Dog, as that's what he had.
Kennedy actually gave the Obamas the dog as a gift. It's from the same littler as his.
Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:So, I guess it's fairly obvious I know next to nothing about baseball. Football and basketball are my sports and I've never paid much attention to the personalities on teams other than my own (Go Patriots/Lakers/UMich). However, I did know that within the last 20 years, our northern neighbor was home to two baseball teams. I didn't feel confident ringing in on what would be a 50/50. Also, I've never heard of this Chance character. Sorry, baseball fans. :?
I'm a big baseball fan, but I didn't get Chance. I guess I'm not so knowledgeable of my 1910 baseball poetry. (Though, I would get Casey, and he's from an 1888 poem.) Also, being a current fan isn't the same as knowing the history.
I would not have been able to say it was from a poem, and I'm no expert on the game. To me it's just a familiar expression, "Tinker to Evers to Chance," implanted in my brain God knows when...kind of like "A swallow does not make a summer." (To be honest, I thought it was about a famous triple play...) And unlike today's one-named pop stars...
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Bamaman wrote:I am aware that at the time the Blue Jays won the World Series, Canada had two teams. but they just have one now and the show is unlikely to ask about a team that no longer exists that many non-baseball fans would not recognize.
Of course neither Canadian team was managed by somebody named "Cito ga-STAWN". Given the pronunciation, Alex probably isn't one of the "Canadians" who he mentioned were so excited about the Jays' victory.
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

Got Adele, but not Rhiana. I thot she was from Texas... Perhaps ther could be a question on the weekly poll for those that got one out of the two?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Got Adele, but wouldn't have gotten Rhianna if you had spotted me the 'Rhi'. Toronto and Chance TS are inexplicable.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My sister also got only Adele and couldn't think of anyone else.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

mswanson wrote:
Miss Mellie wrote:
mswanson wrote:So David is an unstoppable machine, and I'm up tomorrow! Fun fact: During one of our green room breaks, I found out that David and I went to colleges that have a long and storied rivalry with one another, so I had that extra motivation to see him defeated! But is that even possible?

You seem nice but, as the daughter and sister of Amherst grads, I'm afraid I'll have to root against you. Sorry. :)
Uh oh, that sounds like a challenge...
Still reading the thread, but... has anyone invoked slam's rule yet?

And has no one given David even a soupcon of grief for snatching the final $400 clue from zeroed-out Marjorie when he had a lock game? Granted, that's probably not something one thinks about on stage when about to lock up a spot in the ToC. Huge congrats for that, btw, David... but I'm retro-worried for you tonight.

I made the same Austen mistake that Austin did: his own Kareem moment, sort of. Got Bronte on the rebound but too late by then (and pls forgive my not hunting up the accents -- kind of posting in a hurry).

On FJ, I had Rihanna (dhk: note spelling, and if you've never heard "Rolling in the Deep", it's time to hunt up a fresh buffalo skin) in an instant and then couldn't come up with anything better than Beyonce.
In and out of the pool four times
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

reddpen wrote:And has no one given David even a soupcon of grief for snatching the final $400 clue from zeroed-out Marjorie when he had a lock game?
More than that, redd: if he misses and Austin rebounds, it's no longer a lock!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Rihanna, people. R-I-H-A-N-N-A.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:Rihanna, people. R-I-H-A-N-N-A.
But if people had only heard it and never seen it in print, they'd have to assume it was spelled the way it sounds.

And that's good enough for Jeopardy! (so it should be good enough for here).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bpmod wrote:
But if people had only heard it and never seen it in print, they'd have to assume it was spelled the way it sounds.

Brian
Obviously they are not doing that, as they stick an h in there somewhere, and there is no reason for them to.

So now spelling it as it sounds is "gud enuf"? Go join the people who refuse to use proper capitalization.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Obviously they are not doing that, as they stick an h in there somewhere, and there is no reason for them to.

So now spelling it as it sounds is "gud enuf"? Go join the people who refuse to use proper capitalization.
I always thought you were smarter than that.

Let's say that there was a famous person whose name was pronounced 'John', but that person chose to spell the name in a way that nobody looking at it would instinctively pronounce 'John', could you fault somebody for spelling it 'John' if they had never seen it in print?

As far as sticking an H in there, that seems to be what the (famous) person in question has done. It is a silent H, not like the H in the more common name Rhianna. (Unless maybe you believe that the H in wheel is silent, in which case we can agree to disagree, as accents/regional dialects could be the difference.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Sage on the Hudson

Once again, the writers get off Scot-free

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

One more thing: the clue that contained Robert Burns's famous phrase should have read "The best-laid schemes of mice and men," not "plans."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Once again, the writers get off Scot-free

Post by Volante »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:One more thing: the clue that contained Robert Burns's famous phrase should have read "The best-laid schemes of mice and men," not "plans."
Are you implying "The best laid plans of mice and men" is not a saying? I didn't see Burns cited in the clue...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

That was the least of my problems as I was vacillating between Rihanna and Rhiannon, but I got that coin flip right. :)
OCSam