Thursday, June 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by zakharov »

What's MSB? I haven't been immersed in Jeopardy lore long enough to know.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Minimum shutout bet.
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

Minimum Standard Bet. In most leader cases, "bet enough to beat 2nd place's maximum by one dollar". Lukas "should" have bet $13,401 - if his FJ answer is correct, his $34,801 is unbeatable.
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Bob78164 wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:After Alex's silly little speech pointing out that Margaret still had a chance, my reaction was "No she doesn't! Didn't you see David's perfect wager from second place last Thursday? That was the only game he has trailed in, and the only FJ that he has missed in his 5 games, but he knew exactly how to wager from second place to win on the triple stumper, so I'm afraid Margaret has no chance in this one." How wrong I was and how prescient Alex turned out to be.
It wasn't necessarily prescience. Remember, compliance staff oversees the wagers, and it wouldn't shock me if the technical staff also has access to the wagers written on the monitors. So it's not out of the question that Alex knew what the wagers were when he made the comment. --Bob
Aaa, that makes so much sense! Not quite as much fun as the "Alex is a greenseer" theory; but then, what is?
harrumph wrote:One of the better contestant essays that we've ever seen.
Thanks, harrumph. I figured if there were any place for me to spill my guts in a full-scale Jeopardy ramble, this would be it.
BobF

Post by BobF »

CAPS LOCK wrote:Minimum Standard Bet. In most leader cases, "bet enough to beat 2nd place's maximum by one dollar". Lukas "should" have bet $13,401 - if his FJ answer is correct, his $34,801 is unbeatable.
And if he lost he'd have had nearly $8,000 - enough to win in this instance.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Thanks guys, if [Jeopardy Acronyms] ever comes up I'll be golden now.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I wonder if Jeopardy! will ever use Jeopardy! Fan Speak as a category.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BobF wrote:
CAPS LOCK wrote:Minimum Standard Bet. In most leader cases, "bet enough to beat 2nd place's maximum by one dollar". Lukas "should" have bet $13,401 - if his FJ answer is correct, his $34,801 is unbeatable.
And if he lost he'd have had nearly $8,000 - enough to win in this instance.
And that's the main reason that it is usually not wise to go higher than MSB.[/StatingTheObvious]

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

alietr wrote:Minimum shutout bet.
All this time I thought it meant Maximum Safe Bet.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Personally, I think Alex has expressed such a rudimentary knowledge of wagering (he may know more, but his comments seem to belie that knowledge) that I'd be surprised that he would be able to draw such a conclusion, even with knowing what the wagers are. Just sayin' ... Plus it's not like he would have known what the contestants' responses were at that point anyway. I think he just got lucky with his comment since it ended up being a triple stumper.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bpmod wrote:I wonder if Jeopardy! will ever use Jeopardy! Fan Speak as a category.
Maybe I should put a little copyright symbol somewhere on the site?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MSB isn't listed in the archive archive glossary, perhaps it should be added?

I think Alex just made his comment to build the drama for FJ.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

alietr wrote:Well done, Margaret! And sorry to see such a nice run end, David. Let the 120 day clock start running. We'll be seeing more of you, though ...

Let's see ... Petra? Kaaba? Hagia Sophia? Dome of the Rock? OK, we'll go with the Kaaba. What? Taj Mahal!?!? Oh, crud. Didn't even wander over that direction.
UNESCO World Heritage sites is a good category for me, but not this time. I would have guessed the Alhambra like Margaret did. I knew the reconquista was over much sooner than 1650, but I knew it had been altered after that. Only after Alex made the remark about it being one of the most recognizable buildings in the world did Taj Mahal jump out at me.
Last edited by Magna on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Total stand and stare on 10th Top 40. None of those song titles sounded remotely familiar. I didn't even realized Foreigner had 10 Top 40 hits.

Anyone else totally lost on the Buzz Lightyear word puzzle? Seems a bit much to ask for a lightyear's actual number at $200, no?

Anyone wanna tell me how the hell "This type of hook, so you probably won't get a ride in one" is supposed to be a TOM for "Cargo hook"? I guessed "hitch" based on the "get a ride" part. Totally non-sequitur clue.

Couldn't even pull out a guess on FJ! Once again, I psych myself up for a mega ultra obscure answer and get something piss-easy.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Total stand and stare on 10th Top 40. None of those song titles sounded remotely familiar. I didn't even realized Foreigner had 10 Top 40 hits.
They had six more after Waiting, which spent a then-record 10 weeks at #2 in 1981-82.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

legendneverdies wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Total stand and stare on 10th Top 40. None of those song titles sounded remotely familiar. I didn't even realized Foreigner had 10 Top 40 hits.
They had six more after Waiting, which spent a then-record 10 weeks at #2 in 1981-82.
I knew only "I Want to Know What Love Is", which was later.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Zee2 wrote:As soon as I saw that Category Libros por Niños I knew it was not what they meant, and it wasn't. Those are dumb mistakes by people who keep thinking Spanish is easy, and they don't check. Yes, I am very put out by them. Do you think they come to lurk here? Libros por Niños means "Books by Children." What they should have written is LIBROS PARA NIÑOS.

Rant finished. I guessed the Blue Mosque.
Just for kicks, I threw both "libros por ninos" and "libros para ninos" into a couple of online translators and got back "books for children" each time. For "books by children," they returned "libros de ninos" and "libros de los ninos."

As for FJ!, Taj Mahal checked off all the boxes.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Por" can be "by", though, too. "Written by" = "escrito por".

Also, this gives tips on por vs. para, but I'm not sure which usage "for children" would fit under.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

Congrats to Margaret and all that, and to David on a very impressive performance. Lukas must be sorely vexed at not having won after playing the best game of all 3. I am anxious for this game to show up on the Archive so we can see who answered the most correctly. FJ was an instaget being as I was there , Agra,in the long lost summer of '76, and was very impressed by the semi-precious gems.
Le Flaneur
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

My local station broadcast this game tonight (Friday), I guess because Lukas was on. I don't recall them ever doing that before.