Friday, June 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:Why didn't they give Bridget her money back before she made her bet on the DD?
Apparently those places in California are so obscure, it took them until after the commercial break to find confirmation of their existence. As mentioned above, the problem with categories like Common Bonds is that it is always possible that someone will give an unintended response that still fits the clue given. Of course, when you're giving the answer and asking for the question, that can happen with just about any type of category, so I don't think it should necessarily mean that we never see categories like Common Bonds. I for one love the kind of thinking required to figure out what the 3 items have in common, so I'm always happy to see categories like that.

It would be fun to try to give answers that are clearly not the intended one but still fit the clue given, sort of a Cliff Clavin style of answer. Instead of "they are all mystery novelists", how about "they are all women", or even "they are all carbon based life forms", or if you want to get a little risque, "Who are three women who've never been in my bedroom, Alex?"

A piano, a typewriter, Florida: What are three places I've sat?

Hurricanes, needles, swiss cheese: What are three things I never put in my mouth?

The $200 clue was "A rainbow, a horseshoe hung above a door, a 4-leaf clover". When Bridget said "What are lucky charms?", I was wondering if she was referring to the breakfast cereal, or just meaning "things that are lucky", because minus the "hung above a door" part, the clue was listing three types of marshmallows that are a part of Lucky Charms.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:My first thought was Yalta or Potsdam
My first and only thought was Potsdam ... oops!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

I too thought Berlin instead of Nuremberg, reasoning that with it being split into US/UK/France/USSR quarters after the war, and German natives, you'd have at least 4 languages which would need to be translated back & forth frequently. Nuremberg didn't even occur to me, but if it had I think I'd have gone for it. (Though I didn't realize the trials were so soon after the war - somehow I thought there was a little more lag, and no I never saw the movie.) The key, I think, is simultaneous translation. In everyday life, the translation can wait until the end of the statement. In testimony or UN-type speeches, the translator is usually saying part of the translation (generally through headphones) while simultaneously listening to the source, or at least squeezing it in much more tightly, so that the original speaker continues talking pretty naturally and doesn't have to pause to give time for the translator. I admire these translators very much!
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Uggghhhhhhhh, this game! My main memories of this one are:
1) feeling really bad about how many unanswered clues there were (SO MANY); and
2) the moment at the end of my fascinating anecdote about bee stings (which I forgot to mention happened when I was about 5 and was my first ever bee sting, which maybe makes it more of a story?), when Alex had me stick out my tongue so he could make sure it was okay in its present state. Unsurprisingly, our many lame silences meant this bit ended up on the cutting room floor... or maybe someone just realized that tongues are disgusting and ugh god, who wants to look at that??

Especially terrible was ending the game with that sports category. Especially since it was an all-woman game. So many crickets. Way to reinforce outmoded gender stereotypes, us! But I knew I definitely didn't know any of the answers—I've just never been even the tiniest ounce a sports fan—so heroic as it might have been to give it a shot on some of them (Fishercat), I wasn't about to surrender any of my cash at that point. And by the end of the round, my opponents' leads were either obliterated and then some (Bridget) or reduced to under $1000 (Ayana). Still, it was embarrassing, and I felt like we were pretty solidly underwhelming Alex at that point. So when he revealed 20th Century Technology as the FJ and started going on about how "Ooo, sounds tough!", I couldn't help but fill in an implied "... for your apparently feeble lady brains!" I'm sure (or I hope) that was mostly just my embarrassment projecting there, but still. I'd hate for Alex to feel like he got stuck with a game full of dum-dums.

Maybe still reeling from the butchery of DJ, my wagering scratch paper was a big ole mess this time around, and I locked in my $6000 bet knowing that it was really neither here nor there. Stratton's Dilemma was one I always had trouble with when I was practicing, so once again, I got a little lucky with the final outcome. (Terrible gender stereotype #2: Girls are bad at math! None of us really bet correctly in this one, did we? Yeesh.) Nuremberg came to me immediately—all those pictures of a room packed full of solemn men wearing headphones—so I was somewhat surprised when neither Bridget nor Ayana got it. But of course everyone's insta-gets are different.

Otherwise, wow Ayana was good. Both she and Bridget were killer on the buzzer, and once again, I was not able to get my timing down AT ALL. And then I had my lovely AMR = Southwest Airlines (obviously!) moment, which, watching from home, was such an eye-rolling fail. It really is shocking how easy it is to miss simple things like that when you're actually playing. I would always wonder about that when I would see contestants do something like answer a "Starts with R" category with something that didn't start with R, or whatever, but you really can just get so hyper-focused on ringing in that you don't even see or hear the obvious.

The one moment that did have me excited in the game was when they revealed Keyboard Cats and I got to choose it! We'd been talking earlier about what our "ideal boards" might be, and my list had been something like types of pie, America's Next Top Model, Pavement albums, and cats on the internet. Sadly, the category was not quite so literal. :(

So, another raggedy win. It's kind of my specialty, apparently!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Also, I gotta ask .... when spotted AMR, how are the three responses: United, Continental, and Southwest?

ETA: Heh ... already answered! Congrats on win #2, Margaret.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bamaman wrote:Why didn't they give Bridget her money back before she made her bet on the DD?
Was wondering that myself. Curious, had she gone all-in by saying "I promised myself I'd say this if I had the chance-- I'd like to make this a true daily double!" would she have gotten an extra-extra 1600?
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Eh, can't really complain about not wild guessing in that spot. You did better than I would have in that game anyway. Good job on the second win.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

mswanson wrote:Augh, you guys, I know! This was terrible game! Believe me, I know!!!
Take it! Take it!!

Congrats on the second win.

As far as FJ, that clicked about 10 seconds in (mostly trying to figure out what "simultaneous translation" meant). I remember the seeing the movie Judgement at Nuremburg as a teen, and the dates jibed.
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

Hmm...I said Yalta, thinking that as a meeting between different Allied countries, there would be a need for translation. Nuremberg never entered my mind. :o

And ugh at the Jerry Sandusky trial, 'breaking news' taking up the beginning of DJ on my local station. -_-
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Show of hands: How many gave the response "Who are those darn Etruscans?" :lol:
OCSam
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Which architecture school, Margaret?

I should explain that I was a Jeopardy champion in prehistoric times, and am an architect who went to school and still lives in metro Boston.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Guilty on 45/48 counts was what I saw instead of the first four clues in Keyboard Cats. I would always prefer a crawl, but for ABC to keep the break-in limited was not too bad.

No hometown advantage for me on Pier One as I was not going to figure out that one.

Earlier today I thought that Margaret had a chance to win again. I was re-watching Joey Falco #2 from April to fill in my scoresheet and his day one total was $3,999 after a 3rd place entering FJ and triple miss. If he could repeat then why not, Margaret. Her sole solve from 2nd place worked well in a close game tonight.

I was slightly off on my pre guess with 20th Century Technology in anticipating SoundAbout/Sony Walkman. When the clue was revealed I knew where to go. The only challenge was spelling to figure out the "e"s and "u"s inside the city.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Leah wrote:Which architecture school, Margaret?

I should explain that I was a Jeopardy champion in prehistoric times, and am an architect who went to school and still lives in metro Boston.
aHaaaar-vaaaard. Need any interns? I work cheap...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Whenever I see an architect on the show, I think of Weird Al. I'd love to see a plumber on there.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Seeing the years, I was quickly drawn to WWII and settled with Berlin and gave no more thought after that.

Nuremberg had completely slipped my mind and the moment I saw Margaret's response, I was like, "Darn!"

Even had someone beside me reminded me that I had the wrong German city, my choice would have been Munchen/Munich for my temporary cerebral halt.

I give much credit to those who answered Yalta as that wasn't on my mind either but if I had to say, the Nuremberg Trials/Cases take a much higher priority in history than the Yalta Conference so coming up with something less common is impressive in a sense despite what the question featured.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

mswanson wrote:Augh, you guys, I know! This was terrible game! Believe me, I know!!!
Congratulations on winning your second game. I got about 15 right and I went with Geneva for FJ.
Sage on the Hudson

Surly you jest, Anaya!

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

DBear wrote:Yeeeeeeeeess, but I still see nothing pointing to Nuremberg instead of Berlin.
Because...there...were...no...war-crimes...trials...held...in...Berlin.

Agggron wrote:And ugh at the Jerry Sandusky trial, 'breaking news' taking up the beginning of DJ on my local station. -_-
The KABC in Los Angeles ran the news as a crawl at the bottom of the screen. Good call, both for the station...and the jury.

mswanson wrote:
Leah wrote:Which architecture school, Margaret?

aHaaaar-vaaaard. Need any interns? I work cheap...
Go east, young woman! All the building's going on in China (another word of advice: they seem fond of reeeally big buildings with correspondingly big holes in them. Suckers whom you can charge for empty space).

And I'm sooo glad that Anaya didn't win. Maybe she was just showing her game face, but she struck me as humorless to the point of being surly.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote:
Was wondering that myself. Curious, had she gone all-in by saying "I promised myself I'd say this if I had the chance-- I'd like to make this a true daily double!" would she have gotten an extra-extra 1600?
I think she'd have had a strong case to be brought back if she'd gotten FJ right.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Bamaman wrote:
Paucle wrote:
I think she'd have had a strong case to be brought back if she'd gotten FJ right.
Ah, but: I just re-watched that part, and she didn't phrase it in the form of a question!!! So the California bit should have been irrelevant.
(Then again, do they forgive that one time in Single Jeopardy?)
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Agggron wrote:Hmm...I said Yalta, thinking that as a meeting between different Allied countries, there would be a need for translation. Nuremberg never entered my mind. :o

And ugh at the Jerry Sandusky trial, 'breaking news' taking up the beginning of DJ on my local station. -_-
I said they should have given him another 20 years for interrupting the game!