FJs for the 6/4/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/4/12 week?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Very different places, the first 2 African nations to gain independence from a European power were Egypt & this one
53%
1 of the first 2 women in Hollywood to own a studio (according to the official bio of no. 3, Oprah)
77%
Between Jan. 1, 1841 & Dec. 31, 1850 the U.S. had this many presidents, the most in a 10-year period
41%
Formed in 1909, it performed to great acclaim in Paris, London, New York & Monte Carlo, but never in Moscow
35%
In an 1873 Thomas Hardy serial, a chapter ends with a character dangling from an "enormous sea-bord" this
47%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
4%
KEEPING UP WITH THE CAROLINGIANS $2000: The poet Turold is thought to have penned this chanson about a Carolingian hero at the Battle of Roncesvalles
41%
1960s BESTSELLERS $1600: She had back-to-back No. 1 bestsellers with "Valley of the Dolls" & "The Love Machine"
68%
INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC $600: The Rub al-Khali is a vast desert mostly in this vast peninsular country
86%

Total votes: 93

plasticene
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 6/4/12 week

Post by plasticene »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I said "precipice" on Friday, and I'm not convinced that it wouldn't have been accepted. (It's more reasonable than accepting "zero hour" for the "eleventh hour" clue.)

The phrase "enormous sea-bord cliff" appears only in the preface of the book, "A Pair of Blue Eyes": "One enormous sea-bord cliff in particular figures in the narrative." The cliff itself is also referred to as a precipice and as an escarpment in the text.

The category name doesn't disqualify "precipice", since it's the scenario, not the word, that's a cliché. The best argument against "precipice" is the use of the word "this" that seaborgium pointed out. Hey, I'm just looking for some piece of vegetation to grab onto as the foothold crumbles beneath me. Maybe some bystander can save me using
Spoiler
a rope made from their underwear!
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

M: Ghana - had that 1st-sub-Saharan-independence fact stuck in my mind, though I didn't see how Ghana could be "very different" from Egypt
T: Rejected Pickford because momentarily convinced myself that United Artists was a union, not a studio (head slap!)
W: Knew 1841 had 3, added a few more and got to 6
Th: Ballet Russes - J! loves these guys
F: Debated "cliff" vs. "hook" (as in "on the hook" for something), went with hook because thought "sea-bord" meant, like, onboard and didn't think a cliff could be on board a ship :oops:

Missed the two triple gets, then got the two triple misses - seems like that should be profound in some way, but if it is, I'm not seein' it :D

Did the writer(s) really say a "vast desert" in a "vast ... country" :roll:
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

(continued from last week) .....on Friday I wrote down "cliff" and "precipice" and at the last second crossed out.........

cliff.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For the season:
FJ: 110-80
First third:46-29
Second third: 40-35
Extras: 56-58
TOC: 5-5
College: 4-6
Teachers: 5-5
Teen: 6-4
Power Players: 4-1
Longest FJ winning streak: 8 (active 1)
Longest FJ losing streak: 5
5/5:2
4/5:7
3/5:16
2/5:12
1/5:0
0/5:1

I'm glad I had no chance on Thursday. If I'd gotten it, I have missed a 5/5 week by changing SA to Ethiopia and forgetting Van Buren was president for the first 59 1/2 days of 1841.