Friday, June 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, June 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

Fishercat wrote:That sports category was rough. I mean, it was easy-mode for Double Jeopardy (Bobby Thompson's team seemed okay, but Michael Jordan at 1600? Coin Flip at 800?), but stunned silence is the worst. I do think Bridget is owed some credit for actually trying to answer a question she didn't know to grab the lead. Ayana's attempt at answering seems a little more dubious (I wonder if Margaret should have tried after Ayana's bad answer). I mean, I know we're not all sports fans, but Michael Jordan was a triple stumper when given basketball, 1990's, and against the Jazz? Absolutely brutal.
I performed about the same as I normally do on a sports category (that is, only got $400 and $1200, clammed rest), but the $1200 was also way easier than it should have been even for non sports fans such as myself. Does the fact that it happened 61 years ago now erased the iconic "The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!" from our minds? (Granted, I first heard that in an episode of M*A*S*H*, not a sports context).
econgator wrote:Also, I gotta ask .... when spotted AMR, how are the three responses: United, Continental, and Southwest?
Also, between the three of them, there's only 1 A, and no M or R ...
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
DBear wrote:Yeeeeeeeeess, but I still see nothing pointing to Nuremberg instead of Berlin.
Because...there...were...no...war-crimes...trials...held...in...Berlin.
There were also no war-crimes trials in the clue, leading DBear to his comment. (I agree that "Berlin" really wasn't a logical choice, as the clue's writing was trying to hand-hold you to Nuremburg, as was pointed out earlier, but Sage's reply doesn't counter DBear's initial assertion at all ... )

OK, how many of you, instead of just saying it was Norway's "national anthem", gave its name. In Norwegian. Anyone? Hm, just me then, all right. :)

(Fun fact, the Norwegian national anthem was the first anthem I learned in another language (perhaps even before I learned my own in French which, attending Canadian schools as a youth, is not that hard to do), even many years before I started studying national anthems seriously. I learned it from my Norwegian grandmother, to this day anything related to that country makes me think of her.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

When's the last time we had a Darn Etruscans reference? I saw that all over the place in the 1990 book, but have never seen it on the show.

I actually recognized all 3 names in Common Bonds for $400 since my mom reads the works of all 3 authors. I haven't sampled the other two yet, but Evanovich's number series is great. (The One for the Money movie sucked.)

Mind said California on Bonds for $800, mouth said "Arizona… I mean, California. Places in California?" I'm counting it if they reversed it that way.

Starts with 3 consonants was totally hopeless. I couldn't even muster a guess on any of them. "Time of year" had me thinking month, week and desperately trying to tie it to brook or creek. I knew christen but couldn't get it to my mouth. "Um, that thing they do when they name ships." NHO strafe. I knew $800 was a something hold, but couldn't think of anything other than choke. Also never heard of threadbare excuse.

Flowery Language kept throwing me — I kept expecting it to be flower names, not parts of flowers. Knew filament, but clammed since I didn't know it was a flower part.

Red Wine and Playoff were completely foreign to me. Clues might as well have been in Martian.

Nurem-what, now? No guess from me at all.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mswanson wrote: Ah, but: I just re-watched that part, and she didn't phrase it in the form of a question!!! So the California bit should have been irrelevant.
(Then again, do they forgive that one time in Single Jeopardy?)
Yeah, I was going to comment on that. They do give you a warning in Single Jeopardy, but boy was that one botched.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

THere was a contestant who was negged after the first commercial break a few years ago for forgetting to phrase in DJ!(even though they were correct)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote:Yeeeeeeeeess, but I still see nothing pointing to Nuremberg instead of Berlin.
Except for the fact that the War Crimes Tribunals were conducted in Nuremberg, thus the famous movie "Judgment at Nuremberg."

"I see nothing pointing..." is kinda like saying "I see nothing pointing to Michael Jordan" in the clue about basketball in the 1990s, yes?

This was a fairly lackluster game overall IMO. I picked up $8,200 in Lach Trash, which (along with a correct FJ) won this game from the imaginary fourth podium. Should never happen.

I was hoping the category about pianists would be all about the famous classical pianists (one of my fantasy categories, actually), so I was a little disappointed that it was something else. At least I scooped up the $2K TS on Vladimir Horowitz.

Gotta ask Margaret (since you are here) why you didn't bet to cover a doubling bet by Bridget in FJ. You bet large but not quite large enough, and she would have beaten you if she had answered correctly. The way I understand strategy is that leaders must always bet to cover a doubling bet by #2, and #2 must always cover a doubling bet by #3 (unless the category is truly a horrid one for you). The category must not have been that bad for you, since you felt comfortable enough to bet most of your total.

That's just my curiosity though. You're the one sitting there with two wins and counting, so good on you!
pudge94
Contributor

Post by pudge94 »

Agggron wrote: And ugh at the Jerry Sandusky trial, 'breaking news' taking up the beginning of DJ on my local station. -_-
I watched the verdict coverage on CNN and whenever Anderson Cooper had Mark Gallegos (sp?) on, I could catch the KABC feed of J! on the corner of the screen. When FJ! came up I did shout out "What is Nuremberg?"
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

John Boy wrote:"I see nothing pointing..." is kinda like saying "I see nothing pointing to Michael Jordan" in the clue about basketball in the 1990s, yes?

This was a fairly lackluster game overall IMO. I picked up $8,200 in Lach Trash, which (along with a correct FJ) won this game from the imaginary fourth podium. Should never happen.

I was hoping the category about pianists would be all about the famous classical pianists (one of my fantasy categories, actually), so I was a little disappointed that it was something else. At least I scooped up the $2K TS on Vladimir Horowitz.

Gotta ask Margaret (since you are here) why you didn't bet to cover a doubling bet by Bridget in FJ. You bet large but not quite large enough, and she would have beaten you if she had answered correctly. The way I understand strategy is that leaders must always bet to cover a doubling bet by #2, and #2 must always cover a doubling bet by #3 (unless the category is truly a horrid one for you). The category must not have been that bad for you, since you felt comfortable enough to bet most of your total.

That's just my curiosity though. You're the one sitting there with two wins and counting, so good on you!
For the Michael Jordan one—I mean, I know who he is, generally speaking, and I understand that the Bulls won three (of... something?) in a row in the '90s; but looking at the clue now, the rest of it means nothing to me. Maybe if they'd mentioned Chicago? On top of that, I would've expected the $1600 clue to be someone more obscure that I almost definitely wouldn't be able to name.

As far as my wager, like I said, I knew it wasn't great when I locked it in. It was $6401 to cover Bridget, but if I wanted to beat Ayana in a triple stumper, I couldn't bet more than $5800... I can't recall exactly what moved me to freak out and just put down a number "aaaa, somewhere in the middle?!??!" but I immediately regretted it and would certainly never recommend that kind of wishy-washiness to anyone else. In my defense, though, it was also the very end of the very last show of the day. You'd be surprised just how mentally exhausting it was to sit around for hours and hours, wondering if you were about to get called up for the next game!

Lackluster... sigh, I know! I felt it, too. :oops:
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Mind numbing to watch. I'm glad Ayana (?) lost because a smile goes a long way. I thought Alex was quite gracious with her despite the grumpiness. Nuremberg was an easy one because of the headphone image. Let's hope Monday is MUCH better!
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

mswanson wrote: Need any interns?
I'm just a sole practitioner with a home office, and until recently was only half-busy. But in February suddenly the recession ended in my office, and now I'm back to almost full-time. I've heard from contractors and the place where I get prints made that they're getting busier too; having weathered a couple of recessions, it's been my experience that when some tipping point is reached, work increases quickly.

So I do wish you luck, and persistence. If I were connected to a large firm I'd raise your name (actually, next Saturday I'll see a friend who's a principal in one largish Boston firm; I'll mention you). Put the Jeopardy experience somewhere on your resume. It's eye-catching and serves to differentiate yours from the rest of the resumes.

And I don't think there have been that many other architects on the show. My guess is that the most common contestant professions are lawyer and computer programmer. One of the archivists might know the stats.

MIT myself, by the way.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:Whenever I see an architect on the show, I think of Weird Al. I'd love to see a plumber on there.
Both with Ph.D.'s?
Leah wrote:And I don't think there have been that many other architects on the show. My guess is that the most common contestant professions are lawyer and computer programmer. One of the archivists might know the stats.
I seem to recall one of the contestant coordinators from back in the 1990s said lawyers and librarians (esp. research librarians) were the top two occupations they saw at tryouts.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:THere was a contestant who was negged after the first commercial break a few years ago for forgetting to phrase in DJ!(even though they were correct)
Huh? The first commercial break is before DJ (and there are no commercial breaks during DJ)?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:
mswanson wrote: Ah, but: I just re-watched that part, and she didn't phrase it in the form of a question!!! So the California bit should have been irrelevant.
(Then again, do they forgive that one time in Single Jeopardy?)
Yeah, I was going to comment on that. They do give you a warning in Single Jeopardy, but boy was that one botched.
Maybe this is why they didn't correct until after the Daily Double - as a kind of penalty?? Otherwise, couldn't they have gone back and redone the Daily Double, especially since it was at the end of the round?
dhkendall wrote:
OK, how many of you, instead of just saying it was Norway's "national anthem", gave its name. In Norwegian. Anyone? Hm, just me then, all right. :)
I clammed on that because I didn't know the name - never occurred to me the generic was enough...
John Boy wrote:
If only every game were one I think I might have won...

Didn't get any image of headphones, but after stopping by Geneva and The Hague, thought of a place where famous proceedings were held.

I believe Ayana was serious, neither "surly" nor "grumpy." -
But congratulations to Margaret, and thanks for the reports...

Oh, and I never knew Swiss cheese holes were called "eyes"...!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:But you'll take it, won't you?

I knew it was Nuremberg (just think about the headphones in the movie "Judgment at Nuremberg"), but almost couldn't pull the name out. Five seconds later I had it, saving me from a truly dismal week.
Somewhere on my Netflix queue is that movie...

As soon as I saw Nuremberg, knew that was it. But I was bouncing all over Europe during the music hoping something would trigger a 'Yes!' moment... Yalta? Vienna? Paris? Prague? Geneva? But nothin. Just not familiar enough with Nuremberg to pull it out from the cold in 30 seconds.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alamble

Post by alamble »

mswanson wrote:
John Boy wrote:"I see nothing pointing..." is kinda like saying "I see nothing pointing to Michael Jordan" in the clue about basketball in the 1990s, yes?

For the Michael Jordan one—I mean, I know who he is, generally speaking, and I understand that the Bulls won three (of... something?) in a row in the '90s; but looking at the clue now, the rest of it means nothing to me. Maybe if they'd mentioned Chicago?
The Bulls won six NBA titles between 1991 and 1998; if there's a basketball-in-the-90s question that doesn't specifically reference MJ, he should be your first guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I clammed on that because I didn't know the name - never occurred to me the generic was enough...
I didn't even get that far.

I've heard of Nuremberg Trials, but didn't know exactly what they were.
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

dhkendall wrote: OK, how many of you, instead of just saying it was Norway's "national anthem", gave its name. In Norwegian. Anyone? Hm, just me then, all right. :)
I just clammed on that one - I was sure they were looking for a Norwegian song title that I'd never heard of - when Margaret buzzed to ask "What is the national anthem?", I was initially sure she'd be told "No, Sore-y".
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

alamble wrote: The Bulls won six NBA titles between 1991 and 1998; if there's a basketball-in-the-90s question that doesn't specifically reference MJ, he should be your first guess.
1991-93 they threepeated and again 1996-98 again. Jordan was dabbling in baseball in 1994 and 1995 IIRC.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:When's the last time we had a Darn Etruscans reference?
If only there were some sort of archive of past J! clues that could be searched in order to answer this question.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:When's the last time we had a Darn Etruscans reference?
If only there were some sort of archive of past J! clues that could be searched in order to answer this question.
Well, the current search tool isn't as good as it was before for things like that.

Sure, it can search, but prior, it sorted by air date rather than relevance.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm really good at not even having a freaking guess on FJ!, aren't I?