Monday, June 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

Johnblue wrote:Double Homonyms = easiest category ever? Better game today but easy FJ.
Homophonic Pairs has appeared in the past enough, and a lot of times it plays pretty easy I guess. Paul Newman/Eddie Felson/COlor of MOney in DJ! ROle Call might have been a replacement clue for $2K, no?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I never got a chance to confirm it, but I pegged Deniz as weak in sports after hearing, "slaylom" for the first time in my life.

Dew claw was no chance for me even spotted the "D." Newman for $2000 was indeed much easier.

Margaret: You had a great night with the big payday in a close game coupled with (hilarious to me) pepper story. Way to live up to Alex's opening remarks.

The FJ clue was kind of a letdown. I was ready to run down a list of elections years/candidates to hopefully make up for missing the recent inauguration year puzzlers and instead there was nothing to think about in getting bull moose.

I wish I had known I would end up with 49/59 right. Chickening out on Igauzu Falls cost me the elusive 50. Of course I can possibly blame the Nicholas II waste of time leaving one unrevealed in Your Peas when it could have been Mendel. Come on Alex, give Peas a chance.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Would Moose have been alright?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

CyrusChan wrote:Would Moose have been alright?
I doubt it, because that's not what he said, and he was directly referencing the name of his party.

Margaret, you are very fun to watch. Hope you stick around for awhile.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

MarkBarrett wrote: Dew claw was no chance for me even spotted the "D." Newman for $2000 was indeed much easier.
Newman for $2000 was an absolute joke. In fact, the whole board seemed very much on the easy side. Was this left over from the College Tournament or something? Maybe they really wanted Margaret to continue her progression...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm surprised they accepted Janis Joplin as a right answer for "Piece of My Heart". It was actually by Big Brother and the Holding Company.

(Also, playing devil's advocate, he never said Top 40 on which chart, did he?)
THe only chart that song hit on was the Hot 100, I don't think Adult COntemporary(in the 60s known as easy listening) radio was playing it, IIRC the Beatles only hit that chart a couple of times in the 60s. The Mainstream Rock chart didn't debut until 1981.
I was referencing the fact that other versions of that song have hit Top 40 on other notable charts.
In 1967 (or whatever the year given in the clue was)?

Here is where being too nerdy cost me a correct response - for some reason, I always associate the Norwegian UN Secretary General with the phrase "Dag Hammarskjold's Jeep". Not quite sure where that came from, but I've been associating it with that phrase since my early teens if I remember right. Probably a line (or maybe even a title) in some obscure work - Google search comes up blank. I also know that Hammarskjold tragically died in a crash. Conflating the two means that for the longest time, I thought he died in a Jeep crash not a plane crash. Gotta get the phrase out of my head (at least until I actually figure out what it means), as it's messing with my recollection of the facts!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Oh my god, you guys, I found a Daily Double!
futurelibrarian
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by futurelibrarian »

the phrase "Dag Hammarskjold's Jeep". Not quite sure where that came from,
I did a Google search and came up with a Readers Digest story from May 1962 called "The Day Dag Hammarskjold Rode in My Jeep." Could that be it?

also searching with: hammarskjold he rode in a jeep (without quotes) will bring up some more interesting jeep related stories.

and now back to Jeopardy...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

futurelibrarian wrote:
the phrase "Dag Hammarskjold's Jeep". Not quite sure where that came from,
I did a Google search and came up with a Readers Digest story from May 1962 called "The Day Dag Hammarskjold Rode in My Jeep." Could that be it?

also searching with: hammarskjold he rode in a jeep (without quotes) will bring up some more interesting jeep related stories.

and now back to Jeopardy...
Sounds plausible enough (though that was over 20 years before my teen years), despite it not really matching the phrase in my memory (which was what I searched for in quotes, didn't think of looking for a less-strict wording), there seems to be nothing else. Thanks!

Now, to get that confounded jeep crash data out of my head!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

goforthetie wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Dew claw was no chance for me even spotted the "D." Newman for $2000 was indeed much easier.
Newman for $2000 was an absolute joke.
What clue had Newman in it? I don't remember any.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
goforthetie wrote:
Paul Newman was in Role Call (one of your favorite cats of the night) and the clue named the two movies with Fast Eddie Felson.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elephant for final. Knew he went hunting in Africa after his term. Also, elephant's been the symbol of the Republican party for a while, and I figured he was the "real Republican" candidate. So I locked in and never looked back. :roll:

Come on, look at this and say you wouldn't also have considered 'elephant' as an answer!
jeff6286 wrote: This country must have been a bunch of hardasses back in 1912. It's hard to believe that anyone, even a 3rd party candidate, could get shot in the chest, give a 90-minute speech anyway, and still only win 6 states.
No, just Teddy. This is how he went to work each day:

Well...I'm assuming... *cough*
TenPoundHammer wrote:
goforthetie wrote:
Abridged: This actor reprised his character from 'The Hustler' in 'The Color of Money.'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I had forgotten all about this, but at some point in my childhood, I received a copy of that Dag Hammarskjold book as a gift. Christmas, birthday, uncle, grandfolk, 8 yrs old, maybe 10 or 11 or 12, I don't know, but really, what the hell was up with that?
Sage on the Hudson

Bullets over Broadway

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

xxaaaxx wrote:I need to learn more word origins, I spent almost that entire category thinking "THAT'S Scandinavian?!" Not for smorgasbord, obviously.
I went absolutely berserk when the Scandinavian word I'd predicted would be in one of the clues didn't turn up.

jeff6286 wrote:This country must have been a bunch of hardasses back in 1912. It's hard to believe that anyone, even a 3rd party candidate, could get shot in the chest, give a 90-minute speech anyway, and still only win 6 states.
So, how may electoral votes ought to be awarded for being shot in the chest?

CyrusChan wrote:Would Moose have been al[l ] right?
No; neither would any conceivable reference to Bullwinkle.

dhkendall wrote:Here is where being too nerdy cost me a correct response - for some reason, I always associate the Norwegian UN Secretary General with the phrase "Dag Hammarskjold's Jeep". Not quite sure where that came from, but I've been associating it with that phrase since my early teens if I remember right. Probably a line (or maybe even a title) in some obscure work - Google search comes up blank. I also know that Hammarskjold tragically died in a crash. Conflating the two means that for the longest time, I thought he died in a Jeep crash not a plane crash. Gotta get the phrase out of my head (at least until I actually figure out what it means), as it's messing with my recollection of the facts!
Hammarskjold was Swedish; Hammarskjold's predecessor as U.N. Secretary General (1946-1952), Trygve Lie, was Norwegian.
BobF

Re: Bullets over Broadway

Post by BobF »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:This country must have been a bunch of hardasses back in 1912. It's hard to believe that anyone, even a 3rd party candidate, could get shot in the chest, give a 90-minute speech anyway, and still only win 6 states.
So, how may electoral votes ought to be awarded for being shot in the chest?
I'm tempted to say 10, but then both Romney and Obama would go out and get shot in the chest 27 times - which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

teapot37 wrote:
immaf wrote:FJ was pretty much an instaget, except for the few seconds I spent trying to figure out when Teddy Roosevelt was ever shot in the chest. Holy dangling modifiers, Jeopardy writers! Doesn't anyone proofread the clues?
Teddy Roosevelt *was* shot in the chest (the folded-up copy of the speech he was about to give and his eyeglasses case in his pocket slowed the bullet down enough that it didn't do a lot of damage) and then gave his speech anyway!
I never heard of this incident. Assassination attempt??? Shot accidentally by Dick Cheney???

That notwithstanding, "Bull Moose" was pretty simple, and I was also surprised it was not a triple get (although if someone was to miss, a bear---Teddy or otherwise---wouldn't be the worst miss in the world).

So Margaret's first win wasn't all that impressive, and her second was better. This one was the real deal: solid overall performance, got her share of the buzzer mojo, nice lead going into final, correct FJ wager, correct FJ response. That pretty well wraps up a nice total victory. Many congrats to the champ.

My laugh of the day was in the last DD. When the category was announced, I precalled "Journey of a Soul," Pope John XXIII's book which was published just before I went off to college. That was one of those times when---more so than usual----I reallllly wished I had been one of the contestants and got that question. Maybe some day.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Looked very nice tonight, Miss Swanson! Color complemented you well!
It's almost eerie the way your monetary prognostications "are have been"* coming true.
Crap, then I guess I missed it! My mind went blank for the first 28 seconds. I know this I know this it's incredibly easy, It's it's.... BULL MOOSE !coming to me at the last moment. "Really pulled a rabbit out of my hat with that one."
"Again??" my brother asked.
"Yup, it's the party he ran on when Harding got nominated."
"No, it was Taft." he corrected.
"Oops- wrong hat."

*that past perfutational tense is a tough conjugation
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Congrats on win #3, Margaret! Gotta love a toonhead!
Paucle wrote:
Crap, then I guess I missed it! My mind went blank for the first 28 seconds. I know this I know this it's incredibly easy, It's it's.... BULL MOOSE !coming to me at the last moment. "Really pulled a rabbit out of my hat with that one."
"Again??" my brother asked.
"Yup, it's the party he ran on when Harding got nominated."
"No, it was Taft." he corrected.
"Oops- wrong hat."

*that past perfutational tense is a tough conjugation
Yes, you went WABAK on that reference. :P
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Note how Margaret skillfully avoided disagreeing with Alex when he said her sister hadn't spoken to her in years. That's why she won.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Margaret's expressions during the introductions were priceless.